live2fish

I've got bugs...
Apr 3, 2005
North OC
Name
Eric
Boat
14' livingston cat, 15’ radon, Parker 2320 @ez_sportfishing
we killed it yesterday on the 14 I'm uploading a gopro video to YouTube takes forever but it's some exciting footage

Straight lift pole action for a while then back to baiting and flylining most the time had triples going and when we didn't it's bc someone was unhooking a fish on the deck. We plugged the boat and home by 1

Not bad for a day when I overslept and we didn't make the harbor mouth until 7ish haha

Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
21' Center Console
Wow! What size range?

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
fish happens :)

Upvote 0

abserd

BboyGadget
Apr 22, 2007
vista
Name
mathew (bboyGadget)
Boat
25' seaswirl 250 cuddy cab
Im with the rest. Nice job. What size ranger were the fish and species

Upvote 0

live2fish

I've got bugs...
Apr 3, 2005
North OC
Name
Eric
Boat
10-20lb fun jack polling them haha

Left the real lift poles in the garage so the Baja special on 90j drag buttoned had to serve the purpose

Upvote 0

dannykl1957

Nov 20, 2011
woodland hills,ca
Name
daniel klein
Boat
none
funny how no one volunteers the size of the small yellowfin they are catching. Friends are telling me the majority of the fish being caught south of SD has been 5 to 10 lbs with an occasional fish twice that size.

The landings will never tell the public the average size of these yellowfin and baby yellowtails;just report limit fishing,easy catching.

IF these guys were liftpoling their fish from a small boat I'm going to say they are the smaller variety for sure.

Ok, the OP just stated they were 10 to 20lbs. That's a better grade than the one to three day boats are getting now.

Thanks for the report. Exciting stuff.

Upvote 0

Puddlin Jack

Registered Abuser
Jun 23, 2008
Newport Beach
Name
Ian
Boat
Cabo 38
10-20 pounds?

I fished yesterday in the same area just trolling the wahoo gear and blue marlin plungers. We found tuna in 2 different areas but they were so small it was just sad. The YT are 1-3 pounds on every paddy. The YFT are 5-8 (maybe 10) and the skipjack are about the same. We kept 1 yft to eat and every time I looked in the kill bag it was just depressing considering the grade we were getting earlier this season.

We fished with the entire Newport/Dana sport boat fleet in a tight area watching tiny fish after tiny fish come over the rails. Obviously the sport boats need to put the passengers on fish but to see the counts the past week and then see the actual grade of these fish and the numbers being taken is a bummer.

Upvote 0

svue

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 7, 2004
Huntington Beach
Name
Vue
Boat
Everglade 290
We got into them last sunday, our biggest was probably no more than 8 lbs, the skipjack were much better at bending the rods...
We left a WFO to go find better grade, sad to see hundred of 5-7 lbs YFT getting slaughtered before they can spawn.

Then we found trout size yellowtail that just wanted to die. Eating the paint of the boat. kept one for sashimi and troll the rest of the way for the elusive wahoo.

No wonder the limit of BFT is 2 now.

Upvote 0

lamnidae

Aug 25, 2008
Escondido
Name
Chris
Boat
anything I can fish from
I think it's time to break out the trout gear.
Put the sport back into sportfishing.

It's good to hear that the YFT and YT are eating the paint off the boat's and that gets any fishermen's blood going, but these fish are so immature that some kind of self regulating is necessary. If not, then, a more restrictive limit will be imposed on the YFT and possibly YT. Let these ones grow a bit. It will be worth it.

Reactions: kazba and pukahd
Upvote 0

Killin Time

Almost A Member
Aug 18, 2007
San Diego
Name
JT
Boat
Grady-White/ Killin Time
Agreed; these Tuna running in So Cal right now are way too small to kill. We found the magic patty last week and had a good time pulling on them with light gear. But only kept a few and only because they were bleeding and not going to make it. The grade was 5-8 pounds. YT and Dodo were small too.

Don't like killing babies, so for now it's ether try for a Wahoo, Marlin or save my fuel $$$ for another day. That's my 2 cents.

Upvote 0

pukahd

I’m getting nibbles
Oct 30, 2004
Torrance
Name
Brian
Boat
Cabo 216
I got off a 2 dayer on the Pacific Star out of Seaforth on Sunday and all the boats besides our boat claimed limits.

At the docks i saw passengers putting 3 lb tunas in a grocery bag. Yellowtail were about........1-4 lbs. How sad even on the reports on 976, called in fish reports from the sporty crew never mention the grade.

Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
They are fun to pull on with lighter gear, but let em go!!! No need to "plug" the boat.

Reactions: jbday
Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
Mar 4, 2005
Clairemont
Name
AGGRO
Boat
skiff
Fly rod time! Don't forget the hot dog buns.

Upvote 0

John S.

Aug 4, 2008
Valley Center, CA
Name
John
Boat
1996 Seaswirl 1850 W/A
We either self-regulate our selves or the DFG and Feds will do it for us. We saw this happen with Calico Bass. Did we really need to keep 10 and the brood stock as well? On my boat, I call the shots. We always kept under limits for Calicos and released the big ones. We release the small pelagics as well. Nothing wrong with catch and release. Those small yellowtail and tuna would be fun on light tackle or a fly rod. I understand keeping them if they are bleeding out. But just keeping them because it is legal to keep the small ones does not make it right.

John

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
funny how no one volunteers the size of the small yellowfin they are catching. Friends are telling me the majority of the fish being caught south of SD has been 5 to 10 lbs with an occasional fish twice that size.

The landings will never tell the public the average size of these yellowfin and baby yellowtails;just report limit fishing,easy catching.

IF these guys were liftpoling their fish from a small boat I'm going to say they are the smaller variety for sure.

Ok, the OP just stated they were 10 to 20lbs. That's a better grade than the one to three day boats are getting now.

Thanks for the report. Exciting stuff.

You've Been on BD almost 4 years now and you haven't figured out 10-20 actually means 5-10 ?:rofl:That's standard around here and pretty much every fishing site I've ever been on! Just like the 25-30# Dorado you hear about, You'll get the hang of it soon!
[

Upvote 0

hambone67

Jan 4, 2008
Newport Beach
Name
Jeff
Boat
Parker 2320 "The Ruby Liu" / Whaler Montauk 15 "Gigantor"
Had my kids out on Sunday and same deal for us. Had them help with netting the fish in a rubberized release net, and releasing them back to grow up. Yt were all 1 - 2 lbs. Yft 6 - 8 lbs. Hard for the kids to let yft and yt go, but at the end of the day I think they had more fun netting them and releasing them than they would have gaffing them and filling the bag. They kept a couple bleeders for pictures and had a great story to tell of all the ones they released. Nice to see all those juvenile fish out there and hoping they come back next year grown up. Every paddy was full of small yt all the way from the 14 to the 277.

Upvote 0

live2fish

I've got bugs...
Apr 3, 2005
North OC
Name
Eric
Boat
5-10 my ass lol I always under size on here
image.jpg

I'll get gopro up someday idk I may have to split video bc YouTube keeps dropping out halfway thru and has to restart

Upvote 0

Azarkon

Aug 28, 2015
California
Name
Joe
Boat
N/A
I find that people in general are poor at measuring weight, and tend to give double the actual weight of a fish even without actively trying to do so. This is why it's very important to have a scale on hand when talking about weight. Else just talk about the length/size - that's a lot easier to get correct.

Upvote 0