We've made upgrades! Click here to learn more and tell us what you think.

styxchaser

REALLY OLD GUY
Jun 1, 2005
OJAI, CA
Name
STYX
Boat
HAPPILY NONE
I will be 79 in about a week. I no longer do dramatic change very well. I guess I'm just an old grouch now.

I know change is inevitable, but it has taken me 2 years to get used to the last update. For some of the younger guys and those more computer savvy change is less of a problem.

Tried to figure out some of the new changes to the site. It ain't worth it, so guess this is my good-bye to BD.

Tried to edit my own post on my Torsa and also to comment on some other posts and all I get is...

"You have insufficient privileges to reply here."

Good luck to you and the site. With the exception of the political crap of the last few years I have thoroughly enjoyed my 15 years on BD.

Styxchaser, member since 2005

Last edited:

Mike M

• Feb 2, 2007
    Rancho Palos Verdes
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Would you please explain how one attains privileges to post in classifieds. I used to be able to. I now see this message:
    bd.JPG

Motofish

One day at a time!
    Sep 26, 2011
    Inland empire ca
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    Sold
    Prefixes, Filters, and Sorting - Where did that forum go?
    The forums have been reorganized to condense some of the sections that were not getting posted in. Within the main forums we now have Prefixes that can be filtered to sort the information and threads you want to view.
    Select Filters (top right of the thread view) then use the drop-down for the prefix you want to view and it will only display threads with the prefix.
    You can also read the regular thread section and click on a prefix of a thread and it will sort them by that prefix as well.

View attachment 1264258

Tabs – Featured, Trending, Latest, New Posts, Forum List
    The tabs can be found at the top of the forum.

Featured is a curated list of all the content that moderators and admins would like to highlight.
    Trending is the hottest threads at that time.
    Latest is a list of the newest threads.
    New Posts is the list of threads with new posts in them since your last visit.
    Forum List – List of all the forum categories.

Achievements & Leaderboards
    We have added in achievements and leaderboards. These are a fun way for members to be rewarded for what they are doing on the site. You can find the achievements in your profile menu at the top of the page. If you look at the achievements page, you can also see what task you need to complete in order to earn each achievement. Once you earn an achievement, you will gain XP (Experience Points) that will help you get to higher levels. Some achievements are still in the process of being configured and achievements will be rewarded for tasks that were completed before the system was in place.

Eventually, this system once we get it tuned up will result in winning items from around the BD office…

Classifieds
    We have changed the format of the classifieds. We hope to cut down on the time it takes to manage them. The new system now tracks buyer/sellers for better confidence in purchasing and buying.

This format change will cut down on:
    - Constant flaming of ads
    - Flippers
    - Scammers
    - Old stale ads
    - Missing ad sections
    - Times out ads after 30 days

Where did my classifieds go? The old classifieds are here. If you had an ad you should move it to the new classifieds
    Prefixes, Filters, and Sorting - Where did that forum go?
    The forums have been reorganized to condense some of the sections that were not getting posted in. Within the main forums we now have Prefixes that can be filtered to sort the information and threads you want to view.
    Select Filters (top right of the thread view) then use the drop-down for the prefix you want to view and it will only display threads with the prefix.
    You can also read the regular thread section and click on a prefix of a thread and it will sort them by that prefix as well.

View attachment 1264258

Tabs – Featured, Trending, Latest, New Posts, Forum List
    The tabs can be found at the top of the forum.

Featured is a curated list of all the content that moderators and admins would like to highlight.
    Trending is the hottest threads at that time.
    Latest is a list of the newest threads.
    New Posts is the list of threads with new posts in them since your last visit.
    Forum List – List of all the forum categories.

Achievements & Leaderboards
    We have added in achievements and leaderboards. These are a fun way for members to be rewarded for what they are doing on the site. You can find the achievements in your profile menu at the top of the page. If you look at the achievements page, you can also see what task you need to complete in order to earn each achievement. Once you earn an achievement, you will gain XP (Experience Points) that will help you get to higher levels. Some achievements are still in the process of being configured and achievements will be rewarded for tasks that were completed before the system was in place.

Eventually, this system once we get it tuned up will result in winning items from around the BD office…

Classifieds
    We have changed the format of the classifieds. We hope to cut down on the time it takes to manage them. The new system now tracks buyer/sellers for better confidence in purchasing and buying.

This format change will cut down on:
    - Constant flaming of ads
    - Flippers
    - Scammers
    - Old stale ads
    - Missing ad sections
    - Times out ads after 30 days

Where did my classifieds go? The old classifieds are here. If you had an ad you should move it to the new classifieds
    How exactly does one “move the ad from the old classified to the new classified”?

Mike M

• Feb 2, 2007
    Rancho Palos Verdes
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    seems like you cant update anything in the old classified section. also seems like you cant bump posts anymore? idk very confusing
    Ah, I get it now. Thanks for that. The new Classifieds/Fishing/Fishing Rods & Reels are here

I can feel new pathways forging in my brain right now...

• Haha
    Reactions: pacificscout

ThatOlBoy

I got your well-known member swingin', buddy
    Oct 22, 2012
    San Diego/Cabo/Gustavus
    Name
    ThatOlBoy
    Boat
    Blackman 23, Robalo 23, C-Dory 21, Glasspar 18
    Kind of not wild about classified ads being deleted every 30 days. The old classifieds are probably the best resource on the internet for keeping up with real world values of the weird old gear we all like. Say you stumble across some kind of weird Kencor or Conolon or whatever for sale, there aren't really any other places to look to try to get an idea of a fair price.

Are the old classified ads going to be saved somewhere, or are they just gone after the 30 days?

Jason

I break stuff @ BD
    Admin
  • Feb 4, 2003
    Encinitas, CA USA
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    340Z SeaVee
    Kind of not wild about classified ads being deleted every 30 days. The old classifieds are probably the best resource on the internet for keeping up with real world values of the weird old gear we all like. Say you stumble across some kind of weird Kencor or Conolon or whatever for sale, there aren't really any other places to look to try to get an idea of a fair price.

Are the old classified ads going to be saved somewhere, or are they just gone after the 30 days?

they stay on your ad profile but are closed.

• Dislike
    Reactions: ZZZZZ

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
    Sep 9, 2010
    SouthBay SF
    Name
    The Kid
    Boat
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Can you put "New Posts" on or in the Banner?

Currently you have to scroll back to top of screen to find it.

Thanks.

Jason
    Jason
    Click the forums button at the top and it takes you right back to the forumhome and next to it is the new posts. We are thinking of ways to streamline that though.
    • Dislike
    Reactions: ZZZZZ
    Upvote 0
    Derby
    Derby
    I could use back buttons or bookmarks too.

All the previous sites had an easy button to New Posts.

I think most people that are here daily just use New Posts. Make it Easy Again.

And thanks for maintaining this beast.
    Upvote 0

jiggermyster

Goin' out...
    Dec 12, 2003
    So Cal
    Name
    Clay
    Boat
    n/a
    Are you guys under contract to do an overhaul every few years? Nothing was wrong with the previous format. Or the one before that, or the one before that. Y'all trying to keep someone's brother-in-law pulling a check?
    More likely, the BBS software company dangled the 'No Longer Supported' arm twist in front of them and forced the change.
    ( doubt they would want to share their meager earnings with their lazy, good for nothing brother in law, if they didn't have to)

Motofish

One day at a time!
    Sep 26, 2011
    Inland empire ca
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    Sold
    with the new classified ads being automatically removed after 30 days, is there a chance there will be a fee to keep ads posted for a longer duration?

Lord I hope not

Tom123

Jan 31, 2020
    LA
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    None
    Any way to have the search function sort by date initially? Right now, one needs to search a second time in order to refine your choices. Thanks.