Westside 6/21

KD4

Jun 16, 2020
Kailua
Name
Kepa
Boat
Kili’opu
We headed back out in search of the elusive first Ahi for 2021 to fairly dead waters. Ran out to the 1000 from Ko’olina and discovered a number of trailer boats working the area and heading up past Barber’s Point. No birds in sight so the assumption is someone(s) got some in this area and the word got out. Worked the area for a bit and didn’t see any action at all so we headed down the coast toward Ka‘ena. Took a quick strike from a small marlin that jumped off quickly which was nice as we discovered my son had forgotten to put the bat back on the boat after our last trip.

After finding some bird action with small aku near where CO should be we decided to head back up toward the harbor. After having bumpy water on the 1000 interrupt my nap, and with no action anywhere to be seen on the 1000, we decided to check out the last FAD standing and go inside for some ono action. Working the 40 outside of Ma’ili ran us into a school of ono and in short order we managed to land 4 of the 6 fish that hit our spread in the span of 15 minutes in roughly the same half mile zone.

It was a nice finish to an otherwise slow day and back to the harbor we went with smiles on our faces. Ono doesn’t command much at the auction oddly enough as it’s my favorite food fish. That’s okay because the fish all went to friends and family who loved it.

BACE4DDC-C85A-4162-A1C4-06242840AD67.jpeg

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Kepa and crew,
Good going on the gang of scissor lipped critters, tasty...

Cheers
Pat

Upvote 0