Quan

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 21, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Name
Quan
Boat
Defiance Admiral 220 EX "Hawksbeard"
Headed out both days. Got bait at 4:30am with not a single other boat in sight (not even at the launch, was kinda eery). Went 61sm from the tip of the jetty on a 243° to get to 30/18 and found 65 degree water but it still wasn't very blue. The chloro was supposed to clear up west of us and sub surface was to get much warmer but with the small craft advisory for the afternoon, we opted to troll NE to shave off some return time. Put in a short 3 hours of trolling with absolutely zero signs of life with the wind picking up so we called it quits. Got back to port and the wind started blustering, glad we came in. 135 miles round trip, 60 gallons of fuel. Knotty Pine then sleep.

Sunday forecast looked better and this time we headed out 65sm from the tip of the jetty to 45/30. Saw some jumpers about 15sm short of our destination but couldn't get them to bite. Once we got there, the water was clear and crystal blue. Set up the troll to no avail but spotted some charter boats north of us. Slid in near them and started a bait stop and quickly got into the fish! Unfortunately, some gear malfunctions including some bullshit defective Jinkai 30lb topshot (which when I got home, tested anywhere from only 10-25lb test), as well as sharks all over the damn place, we only bagged 4 of probably 20 or so hooked up. With the wind increasing, gear pissing us off (I'm looking at you, Jinkai...), sharks eating all of our bait and cutting lines, and two crew members chumming, we decided to call it and head in. About half way back, the water sat down and it was smooth sailing from there. 150sm round trip, 65.8 gallons of fuel.

Shout out to @MarkColeman for getting me some numbers and intel! It was good to finally meet you in person. It was a lot of damn time and fuel for a few fish but sure beats the shit out of pulling weeds in the garden.

No pics of the fish because who's got time for that? But this should tide you fuckers over.:finger:

IMG_20170904_194426.jpg
IMG_20170904_194127.jpg

Last edited:

Dandrew1989

Sep 5, 2017
Nuevo
Name
Danielle Andrew
Boat
Ranger
Headed out both days. Got bait at 4:30am with not a single other boat in sight (not even at the launch, was kinda fuckin' eery). Went 61sm from the tip of the jetty on a 243° to get to 30/18 and found 65 degree water but it still wasn't very blue. The chloro was supposed to clear up west of us and sub surface was to get much warmer but with the small craft advisory for the afternoon, we opted to troll NE to shave off some return time. Put in a short 3 hours of trolling with absolutely zero signs of life with the wind picking up so we called it quits. Got back to port and the wind started blustering, glad we came in. 135 miles round trip, 60 gallons of fuel. Knotty Pine then sleep.

Sunday forecast looked better and this time we headed out 65sm from the tip of the jetty to 45/30. Saw some jumpers about 15sm short of our destination but couldn't get them to bite. Once we got there, the water was clear and crystal blue. Set up the troll to no avail but spotted some commie boats north of us. Slid in near them and started a bait stop and quickly got into the fish! Unfortunately, some gear malfunctions including some bullshit defective Jinkai 30lb topshot (which when I got home, tested anywhere from only 10-25lb test), as well as sharks all over the damn place, we only bagged 4 of probably 20 or so hooked up. With the wind increasing, gear pissing us off (I'm looking at you, Jinkai...), sharks eating all of our bait and cutting lines, and two crew members chumming, we decided to call it and head in. About half way back, the water sat down and it was smooth sailing from there. 150sm round trip, 65.8 gallons of fuel.

Shout out to @MarkColeman for getting me some numbers and intel! It was good to finally meet you in person. It was a lot of damn time and fuel for a few fish but sure beats the shit out of pulling weeds in the garden.

No pics of the fish because who's got time for that? But this should tide you fuckers over.View attachment 865218 View attachment 865219

Sea Sport

Made in Washington
Sep 8, 2014
Auburn, WA
Name
Chuck Masonic
Boat
Excalibur-2700 Sea Sport Pilot-
Did you have some newbies on board?
Not too many salts are going to be chumming when there's fish to catchbarf
Nice report and hope your next trip is a record breaker.
Decent gas mileage, but those days that end up with nothing on the other end of the line still grates on one.:cussing:

Reactions: FVSerenity and Quan

Quan

Aug 21, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Name
Quan
Boat
Did you have some newbies on board?
Not too many salts are going to be chumming when there's fish to catchbarf
Nice report and hope your next trip is a record breaker.
Decent gas mileage, but those days that end up with nothing on the other end of the line still grates on one.:cussing:
It may or may not have had something to do with trying to forget the prior day's skunk and a handle of bourbon....

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
Apr 3, 2008
Stanwood, WA
Name
grrrrrrrr
Boat
33' RBW MISS ELIZA
Get some 40lb mono clear for the next time. I too drank from the pitcher of Koolaid that TT and CF offered up. The last 2 years I have switched back to Big Game green colored 40lb mono. Sharks still cut it but little problem of crackering off tuna except for the ones that like to thumb the spool trying to stop the second or third tuna run of the fish. Yell at them a few times and it slows the habit of the FNG's. Won a big spool of Ande Floro at the WTC this year 40lb worked great yesterday.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ande+fluorocarbon+fishing+line&client=ms-android-verizon&sa=X&biw=360&bih=512&tbs=vw:l,ss:44&tbm=shop&prmd=vin&srpd=4890077835396521662&prds=epd:15775303986914749258,cdl:1,cid:11443351263277764150&ved=0ahUKEwj34dPEk4_WAhWhilQKHSKJCPcQgTYI-QQ

Pline has Floro as well. As shown in the link above. I will say I did swear off floro because of the break offs and the fish did not mind the Mono. My Experience plus it costs a bunch less.

Reactions: Quan and Titan

Waterdog~

Just one more
Sep 1, 2009
Hollywood
Name
Brian
Boat
Tiderunner
looks good.....to bad about gear failure

Reactions: Quan

OMEGA

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 17, 2007
WA
Name
MCS
Boat
40 Cabo FB
A for effort and some nice food prep as well.

effigy

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 18, 2007
Oregon
Name
Mark
Boat
Which one? Too many....
Spectra has very poor abrasion resistance. If you want to try some really good mono, get the izoreline xxx copolymer, in smoke grey. It has great abrasion resistance, super strong, but also soft.

Btw Quan, your sashimi presentation looks delicious.

Last edited:

Quan

Aug 21, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Name
Quan
Boat
Get some 40lb mono clear for the next time. I too drank from the pitcher of Koolaid that TT and CF offered up. The last 2 years I have switched back to Big Game green colored 40lb mono. Sharks still cut it but little problem of crackering off tuna except for the ones that like to thumb the spool trying to stop the second or third tuna run of the fish. Yell at them a few times and it slows the habit of the FNG's. Won a big spool of Ande Floro at the WTC this year 40lb worked great yesterday.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ande+fluorocarbon+fishing+line&client=ms-android-verizon&sa=X&biw=360&bih=512&tbs=vw:l,ss:44&tbm=shop&prmd=vin&srpd=4890077835396521662&prds=epd:15775303986914749258,cdl:1,cid:11443351263277764150&ved=0ahUKEwj34dPEk4_WAhWhilQKHSKJCPcQgTYI-QQ

Pline has Floro as well. As shown in the link above. I will say I did swear off floro because of the break offs and the fish did not mind the Mono. My Experience plus it costs a bunch less.
Yeah, CF is exactly who I got the Jinkai koolaid from. Never again! Already switched my topshot back to cheap ass Berkley Trilene Big Game 30lb which is what I used before. I may consider your advice in going to 40lb after this weekend's debacle. Sucks to spend all that time, money, and effort only to have your line snap time after time.

FVSerenity

Captain
Feb 27, 2012
The Salt
Name
Rod
Boat
22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
My problem is with pulled hooks from the sharks chasing the tuna? Are my hooks too small? They are about as wide as the anchovie black with the ring to tie to.

Salmon King

Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
My problem is with pulled hooks from the sharks chasing the tuna? Are my hooks too small? They are about as wide as the anchovie black with the ring to tie to.
Pulled hooks suggests that the hook was set in soft tissue IMO. Something that I tried when fishing with Darrell on Tunacious: circle hooks!

I never thought it would work, but as long as you gave Charlie at least a three count, the fish would swallow the chovie completely, the drag set would pull the hook back out of its throat (avoiding a weak throat hookup and a chewed up leader), and the hook would stick right in the corner of the mouth. If you think about it, if the fish is swimming away with a swallowed bait/hook/line, pulling on the line would cause it to pull through at a corner of the mouth. The first spot the circle hook would set is the corner of the jaw, exactly where you want your hook set.

Full disclosure, I still use owner J hooks primarily, but I might carry a pack of circles if everything is hooking in the throat.

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
Feb 19, 2008
San Diego
Name
Doug
Boat
25ft Skipjack fly
Spectra has very poor abrasion resistance. If you want to try some really good mono, get the izoreline xxx copolymer, in smoke grey. It has great abrasion resistance, super strong, but also soft.

Btw Quan, your sashimi presentation looks delicious.
I believe it is the opposite. Spectra has better abrasion resistance. Nothing helps with sharks though. It also helps because it disappears in the water. But fish what your comfortable with by all means also one less knot.

I agree the sashimi looks great.

Siv

May 8, 2008
Normandy Park Wa
Name
Dave
Boat
19' SeaSport
I personally like flouro and have had few issues with it but as said above, use what you are comfortable with. Mono is fine too.
You really know how to cut fish, that is beautiful.

Reactions: Reel hip

FVSerenity

Captain
Feb 27, 2012
The Salt
Name
Rod
Boat
22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
Pulled hooks suggests that the hook was set in soft tissue IMO. Something that I tried when fishing with Darrell on Tunacious: circle hooks!

I never thought it would work, but as long as you gave Charlie at least a three count, the fish would swallow the chovie completely, the drag set would pull the hook back out of its throat (avoiding a weak throat hookup and a chewed up leader), and the hook would stick right in the corner of the mouth. If you think about it, if the fish is swimming away with a swallowed bait/hook/line, pulling on the line would cause it to pull through at a corner of the mouth. The first spot the circle hook would set is the corner of the jaw, exactly where you want your hook set.

Full disclosure, I still use owner J hooks primarily, but I might carry a pack of circles if everything is hooking in the throat.
what size circle hooks?
and BTW I noticed the one we got into the boat was hooked in the mouth, not someplace else.

Ugly Bayliner

Sep 18, 2008
Olympia, Wa USA
Name
Steve Ericsson
Boat
20' Ugly Bayliner
We have foregone topshots all together, just braid to a halibut clip to a 36" leader or so, leader is usually 40lb flouro, but that's just us. One less knot to fail! Rarely do we pull a hook and never break off a leader as long as we check for abrasions after each fish landed.