Saltwater Westport trip 16-21

Randy G

May 26, 2009
Lacey/WA/USA
Name
Randy
Boat
18/alumaweld
Every year I make a couple early fishing/crabbing trips to Westport, weather and tides permitting. I just fish around the south jetty and drop pots in the harbor. I called the WDFW to see if I could crab in Grays Harbor, boy did I get fed a bunch of bullshit! Crabbing in the harbor is closed because crab are testing boarder line for toxins. I was told I can crab in the boat basin, or west of the jetty in the open ocean. I have cheap pots that would get swept away west of the jetty, that's why I drop in the harbor. I was told the crab are eating razor clams in the harbor that's why they have a high toxin level, and in the boat basin there are no clams so the crab are safe to eat. Do you ever get that feeling like someone is blowing smoke up you ass, for I sure did! Got to Westport, perfectly beautiful day, so as I coming out of the boat basin into the harbor what do I see, a sea of commercial crab buoys! Now I know for sure I had smoke blowed up my ass! WTF, I was pissed off all day watching the commercial boats pulling pots. Still had a good day, fishing was slow but steady.

Last edited:
Randy G
Randy G
Sorry, that would be WEST of the jetty!
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Swede

Yachtless
  • May 2, 2008
    Pacific Northwest
    Name
    Swede
    Boat
    Kristen Lee
    We know. We’ve been watching this play out since October.... WDFW keep posting toxin levels and testing.

Reactions: Randy G

The Peddler

Living vicariously through others.
    May 28, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    Apparently we sporties are too stupid to properly clean our crab before cooking them. 🤷‍♂️

Larry S

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    I think we need input from sportie @Chef Patrick or whatever he went by. That guy even argued about not cleaning his crabs. Did shows for someone with him not cleaning his crabs.

Fuggin gross. Clean and cook them.
    Ya, my buddy cleans them, then steams, then in ice water. Re-heats at home, tossed in garlic & red chilie flake infused butter.

Upvote 0

Larry S

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    measuring sewage toxin found in our Puget Sound crab
    Dose WDFW include Marine Species Poop% ( sewage toxin) in the Poop they pass on to the Skip's, trying to make a living? Or do they pass on the standard Poop?

Upvote 0

Nosecrets

Blackmouthers good side
    Jul 6, 2012
    North of seattle
    Name
    Blackmouther
    Boat
    9' bullfrog "mr big"
    I think that fucking fauchi is also in charge of fisheries. Next they will say that when a crab eats a razor clam it creates a novel corona virus.

Upvote 0