Saltwater Westport salmon report?

seimdog

Jun 29, 2012
Ellensburg/wa/usa
Name
SEIM DOG
Boat
Bayliner JACKALOPE
I am heading to Westport to salmon fish this Tuesday - Thursday.
I know the last 2 weeks the kings have been primarily SW from 200-280 feet.
I am looking for some recent info so I have an idea of where to start Tuesday morning (water permitting).
Any report would be appreciated!

Upvote 0

seimdog

Jun 29, 2012
Ellensburg/wa/usa
Name
SEIM DOG
Boat
Bayliner JACKALOPE
Thanks for the tip. I was working around them a couple weeks ago but I never thought about using AIS to get the general location before heading out.
I be fishing Tues-Thurs (JACKALOPE) on 68

Upvote 0

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
  • Sep 25, 2008
    Westport/Renton
    Name
    Cap't Paul
    Boat
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200 G2
    Good luck getting out tuesday if forecast holds, Wednesday a maybe, thursday is much better...go find them for me for thursday...lol

Upvote 0

seimdog

Jun 29, 2012
    Ellensburg/wa/usa
    Name
    SEIM DOG
    Boat
    Bayliner JACKALOPE
    A couple weeks ago was my first time fishing that deep. A few tangles and a little learning. Slide your booms out and I put my flasher only about 15 feet back. I initially had a farther set back but had some tangles.
    Also a lot of stress on your rigger clips at those depths. When it pops reeeeeeel like a MOFO cause there is quite a loop in you line even if it’s braid.

Upvote 0

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
    Aug 4, 2010
    Camano Island
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Otter Craft
    High speed reels with braid are damn near a must when going deep. Pick speed up more than you think you need to keep gear tracking straight and working properly. You will have a lot of blow back. Only drop second rigger when first one is tracking straight out back. Avoid siwash currents and go directly with or against it. Avoid hard turns. 20# balls help but 15’s can get it done in most cases. I have seen some epic days at 190- 500+ on the wire.

Reactions: Nosecrets
    Upvote 0

C-Dawg

Jun 29, 2011
    Elk Plain, WA
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    JodyRay, 24' Sea Sport Explorer
    I was checking Marine Traffic outside Westport today, and noticed two groups of boats clustered together. A group of commercial boats were straight out in about 260' of water making tracks north and south. Pretty sure they're targeting salmon.

The other cluster had some charters in it (Gold Rush, Tequila Too, Ranger). They were in about 180' of water in front of the entrance to Willapa Bay. I'd think they were targeting the Chinook headed for the Willapa. That sound right?

Those depths are the chart markings from Navionics charts online.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0