Seeking Kodak Moments
  • May 17, 2011
    Shelton, WA Mason
    www.sagecreekforums.com
    Name
    Greg Eastman
    Boat
    Kodak II - Arima SL 22
    After months of fiddling, designing and redoing we had Kodak 'close enough' to take family fishing out of Westport. This was the first trip with the truck camper and Arima SL 22 so we anticipated some backing down the ramp challenges.

Judy's daughter married a Wyoming cowboy and this would be his first trip out on the Big Blue but Shane was game to try. He helped me on my ELK hunts in WY in 2018, 19 and I appreciate his work ethic and abilities. I picked Fri, and Sat not remembering you can't fish for salmon in area 2 on those day........ so we planned to do a bottom fish trip Fri and run down to area 1 on Sat for salmon ( which means you can't fish area 2 on the way back ) A couple BD brothers made sure I knew that :)
    Kodak SR.jpg
    Shane King.jpg
    Trolling.jpg
    Shane Coho.jpg

We decided to launch late morning to avoid a dark thirty departure from home and to make the trip less rushed. The ramp was nearly empty so we took it slow and got it done. the bar crossing was fairly smooth- one of my priorities for the newcomers and us too. We caught some sand dabs and went to a couple spots I had plotted for Lings and Rockfish. After several hours of drifting and resetting from various angles in the 250' area I called it and headed in. 3 of the sand dabs were released to find a new home. The 5 gal bucket with water refreshed several times worked better than I expected keeping them alive.

Back at the marina we tied up and secured things before heading to the Fish Shack. Judy and I stayed in the cuddy and the almost newly weds got the camper accommodations. Sat morn came early and the bar crossing was really lumpy with confused seas converging from 3 directions and whitecaps all over right at the entrance by the S jetty. I turned back for a bit and did some radio scouting and found that is was much better to the S by the windmills- that turned out to be correct though we needed to keep it under 20 most of the way to area 1. We had a few hits and finally Shane brought in a nice king that turned out to be the best of the day. We were trolling toward WP when the DR line caught a derelict crab pot line and efforts to free it and the fishing gear was a bust. Another 15# ball joined the one from last season, nice flasher/ hoochie rig too. SlapShot stopped nearby- thanks for checking on us.

We had planned to go home that night but 'the kids' were game to try it again since we could fish much closer so stayed over after a neighboring Striper boat donated some DR terminal gear and reset the Scotty drive belt while I was trying to find that. Thanks Ralph!! I had a spare cable connector but had bumped the green button while reaching for something and had to use it.

Sunday, we got lots of hits, few fish. Kim landed a nice coho with an extra fin… and late in the day we landed a 24” coho that was a keeper.

Not a lot of fish in the boat- though we tried most everything- coho killers, 4” Coyote in various patterns, 30- 220' on the wire, 1.5- 4 kts ….. The green spatterback hoochies got the most action.

Few fish- but we made some memories and that was mission 2 after staying safe.

S & K.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Sea Sport

Made in Washington
    Sep 8, 2014
    Auburn, WA
    Name
    Chuck Masonic
    Boat
    Excalibur-2700 Sea Sport Pilot-
    Greg, that was a great write up! Glad to see your daughter found her cowboy. And that he got a chance to see the big blue with the benefit of a nice King. Hope to see you out there this year.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
  • Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    I also enjoyed your write up! Sometimes (NOT ALWAYS) its not the amount of fish but the memories made. You did good! Any time you leave under power and get back under power is a great day!
    Now you'll have new stories on your next elk hunt!

Reactions: Siv
    Upvote 0

TooManyHobbies

The guy that makes the glass stuff
    May 10, 2010
    White trashville
    Name
    Garrett
    Boat
    21' SeaRay Laguna CC "Sea 'Scape"
    That was me you were talking to on the radio Saturday about conditions.
    Good to see my 'winter projects' came to good use; I finally moved my antenna from the gunnel to the tee top, and installed a new standard horizon VHF since the mic on my Lowrance one died.. I figure you were 10-12 miles away and it sounded like you were in my backyard!

Fishing was spotty for us over the weekend as well, but we weren't out very long either day.

Reactions: GregE
    Upvote 0

GregE

Seeking Kodak Moments
  • May 17, 2011
    Shelton, WA Mason
    www.sagecreekforums.com
    Name
    Greg Eastman
    Boat
    Kodak II - Arima SL 22
    TMH that call saved the day- I'd already turned around after encountering 'pillow waves' by bouy 8 with no discernable pattern and whitecaps as far as I could see. Thanks again!!

Finally got the name added Hope it helps ;)
    2 Kodak.jpg

Reactions: wdlfbio
    Upvote 0