Seeking Kodak Moments
May 17, 2011
Shelton, WA Mason
www.sagecreekforums.com
Name
Greg Eastman
Boat
Kodak II - Arima SL 22
WOW!! I was watching the trees blow today and feeling bad for anybody on the ocean........ But, sun, nice size Halis and pretty smooth water. Goodonya!!

Reactions: TimeZoned

easydoesit86

nubbie
Apr 6, 2008
lacey wa usa
Name
maarten
Boat
22' 672 Campion "Skidder"
Nice job. We turned around in Aberdeen when we seen noaa 8 pm forecast. Then the 2 am looked ok. But not fun with a bad back

pacificscout

Hey! You got any frozen ice?
Jul 28, 2012
Fullerton
Name
Wally
Boat
16ft Scout EMBUSTERO
Nice fish and clean looking deck.
I take it those might be Pacific Halibuts as they look different than the California ones I catch or have seen. They seem bigger more aerodynamic and meaner.

Mazu

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 30, 2008
Seattle/Westport
Name
Leif Jackson
Boat
22' Sea Sport, "Mazu"
The ocean was indeed nautical. We waited out the morning ebb and launched at low tide. The bar was doable, and the ocean was runnable at first. But waves got bigger and steeper and closer as we approached our destination. The wind didn't push us around as much as the forecast had led us to expect, so I'd call it quite fishable, really. But we found a slow bite. A popular location that is usually automatic in May had us working for our fish. Eventually got our five, and sorted a couple to get a better grade. Ended with a 52 pounder on the scale, a 35, and three "just fish".

hali.jpg

Then we stopped at a spot about halfway in, where there had been a good coho bite a couple days prior, and where we had noticed whales on the way out. Stopped to play with coho and managed to bring up this bronze bruiser.

nook.jpg

Long day. The water wasn't really as nice as it seems in the photos. We managed to hit max ebb on the way back in and the bar was stacked. Finished cleaning fish under lights. I hope the ocean is in a better mood next week...

Olyfishin

Well-Known "Member"
Sep 2, 2018
Olympia
Name
Dave
Boat
20' Trophy
How far a run are you guys making for your WP halibut spots? I thought it was more than 30 miles? With NB closed to launching, Swiftsure is quite a haul from Sekiu. Never considered it before just because NB has always been automatic for halis... but a buddy who fished yesterday struggled to find them.

Reactions: Benjam99

Siv

May 8, 2008
Normandy Park Wa
Name
Dave
Boat
19' SeaSport
Nice fish and clean looking deck.
I take it those might be Pacific Halibuts as they look different than the California ones I catch or have seen. They seem bigger more aerodynamic and meaner.
Pacific - get much bigger . State record is 288#.

Reactions: pacificscout

Benjam99

Dec 20, 2017
Washington
Name
Ben
Boat
Private
Nice job! I'm hoping to take my first swing at Hali out of grays harbor tomorrow. If you don't mind sharing any tips via pm I'd really appreciate it. I fish out to table rock from NB usually so I know some things.. should be my dad and my hunting/fishing buddy. As long as the weather looks good enough. Either way congratulations on getting fish in the boat!

Reactions: Ragin Cajun

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
Aug 3, 2009
Olympia,WA
Name
Brian
Boat
Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies
Nice job! I'm hoping to take my first swing at Hali out of grays harbor tomorrow. If you don't mind sharing any tips via pm I'd really appreciate it. I fish out to table rock from NB usually so I know some things.. should be my dad and my hunting/fishing buddy. As long as the weather looks good enough. Either way congratulations on getting fish in the boat!
You better check the regulations cause there is no open season tomorrow for hali out of grays harbor.

Mpizzle

Bobber down!
Jul 18, 2010
Mt Vernon
Name
Matt
Boat
20’ Glasply
The photos are deceptive it was far from nice out yesterday. 3 hour run from GH to the fish at 13 mph most of the way. Saw 19 for about half a mile out of 35 miles.

Reactions: sgwill122 and Mazu

sgwill122

Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
The photos are deceptive it was far from nice out yesterday. 3 hour run from GH to the fish at 13 mph most of the way. Saw 19 for about half a mile out of 35 miles.
How many boats made the run? I assume a lot fewer than usual for a opener.

Mpizzle

Bobber down!
Jul 18, 2010
Mt Vernon
Name
Matt
Boat
20’ Glasply
How many boats made the run? I assume a lot fewer than usual for a opener.
Fewer is an understatement I’d say there was 30 boats and prob 8 of those were puker boats. People thinned out quick too so either they got their fish or just bounced. It was damn near dead first few hours but around noon it really opened up and fishing was good despite the seas. Like Mazu said it was rough but despite the big tide, 15-20 wind, and swell it actually was fairly fishable we didn’t have much trouble staying on our gear. Finished the day w a triple and fought off a big shark for the last fish.

At the fish cleaning station we talked to a few dudes that tried to make the run later and said the bar was terrible turning boats back but sounds like they were running right at max ebb. We crossed at 500 and it was lumpy but okay.

Reactions: GregE and sgwill122
Feb 22, 2019
Auburn
Name
Richard Clendening
Boat
21ET Searunner, Hewescraft
It was an ass whoopin getting out to the Halibut spot. Left the dock at 6:30 dropped a couple pots and made it to the fishing spot a little before 10. Fished for 2 hours before we had our first bite could hardly tell I had one on it was so small, released it. Then we landed 2 more within a half hour of the first. 26lb and a 27lb. Run back was much much better. No keepers In the crab pots. Only my second season out at that spot, but fishing was a lot slower this year then last. Was going to fish for salmon too but didn’t have much time since I had to work the next day and still had a 2.5 hour drive home. Will be heading out again at the end of the month for a nice 4 day trip so I’ll have some more chances.

B9AB15EF-8DA8-42E2-ACE3-57CD340DD5F4.jpeg

Benjam99

Dec 20, 2017
Washington
Name
Ben
Boat
Private
Planning to try again for my first attempt at wp hali tomorrow. Really want some fresh fish! Plan so far is just head west.. I'll be listening on 68.