Saltwater Westport Hali 1st timer

El Grande’

Jun 14, 2018
Seattle
Name
Drew Daly
Boat
Yumbooteh’
My partner and I just got our first real experience catching, rather then fishing, for halibut last weekend out of Sekiu. Was great, stayed in the strait and had a great trip.
Westport is the next step in broadening our horizons. It’s a much shorter drive, tons of species to shoot for with the bonus of tuna later in summer.
Have not captained our boat there looking for some advice. Planning on heading out for halibut this month, but am starting from zero. Any direction would be much appreciated, know we’ll be making a major run offshore, but no idea how to tackle such a massive expanse.
Thanks ahead of time!

Reactions: jiggermyster

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Give us a little more to start with.

What boat are you in?
What do you know about tides, currents, and swells relative to bar crossings?
How many ocean miles can your boat run?

Have you search Westport bar on here?

Reactions: Fireball
Upvote 0

El Grande’

Jun 14, 2018
Seattle
Name
Drew Daly
Boat
Yumbooteh’
Give us a little more to start with.

What boat are you in?
What do you know about tides, currents, and swells relative to bar crossings?
How many ocean miles can your boat run?

Have you search Westport bar on here?
We’re in a 28’ Thunderjet pilot house with 500 hp, think we are good on that front. Have not crossed a bar this significant or fished off shore before, but have been in some pretty serious water in the strait. We have been on charters there and have been reading up on crossing a good bit.
Once we are on the other side, we are starting from zero and are hoping to have a minimum a general direction and strategy for the area. Thanks

Reactions: Salmon King
Upvote 0

Salmon King

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
I second the warning about the Westport bar. Poor decisions at the bar have caused many a lifetime of severe consequences. I think the Westport bar is called the knotty pine.

Also, be careful of the area where the river runs into the ocean. The waves can get big there.

Upvote 0

Fish_on!

• Feb 17, 2015
    Oly
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    18' Super Vee
    One big difference between halibut fishing in the straights versus Westport is depth. Be prepared for 6-750'. Read around these threads and you'll see a lot of discussion about electric reels. Cranking 3lbs of lead and a dogfish by hand from 750 is not fun.

This is horrible advice. Fish taste way better when you hand crank. I personally don’t see any benefit for an electric reel.... I would try it by hand at least once before investing in $500 reels.

Upvote 0

A-K

• Jun 14, 2015
    Gig Harbor Washington
    Name
    Aaron
    Boat
    Parker 2320

This helped me a lot. Good info on ebb currents and other things to help decide when to go or stay home. Also helps to have some friends to discuss your first few bar crossings. It’s typically not that big of a deal.... until you get bit by it, then you understand what everybody is talking about.

Upvote 0

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
  • Aug 3, 2009
    Olympia,WA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies

This helped me a lot. Good info on ebb currents and other things to help decide when to go or stay home. Also helps to have some friends to discuss your first few bar crossings. It’s typically not that big of a deal.... until you get bit by it, then you understand what everybody is talking about.

May 23rd rings a bell.......

Upvote 0

Siv

May 8, 2008
    Normandy Park Wa
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    19' SeaSport
    This is horrible advice. Fish taste way better when you hand crank. I personally don’t see any benefit for an electric reel.... I would try it by hand at least once before investing in $500 reels.
    I’m not telling him to buy electric reels, just be prepared for much deeper fishing. I think electric reels are bullshit, why not start setting commercial long line gear for the same sporting experience. We still pull shrimp / crab pots by hand and they taste sweet as hell🤙

Reactions: Tish
    Upvote 0

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
  • Aug 3, 2009
    Olympia,WA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    I’m not telling him to buy electric reels, just be prepared for much deeper fishing. I think electric reels are bullshit, why not start setting commercial long line gear for the same sporting experience. We still pull shrimp / crab pots by hand and they taste sweet as hell🤙

Hes just joking Siv. Trying to get the guy to do it a few times with hand crankers vs electrics is all. We used to do all hand crank and hand pull pots as well but have gotten wiser with age. ;)

Upvote 0

sgwill122

Feb 21, 2011
    Redmond/WA/USA
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    Hes just joking Siv. Trying to get the guy to do it a few times with hand crankers vs electrics is all. We used to do all hand crank and hand pull pots as well but have gotten wiser with age. ;)
    I don't know if I am any wiser but I know I am a hell of a lot lazier.

Upvote 0

Fish_on!

• Feb 17, 2015
    Oly
    Name
    Ben
    Boat
    18' Super Vee

I agree completely about it taking the sport out of it but it is more of a forage operation. 800 ft is a tough ask to cycle through chickens, dogfish, and skate. My favorite is when the captain gets to the hole and doesn’t know the drift yet. By the time you get to the bottom he realizes you never had a chance, “bring em up”.

To the OP... most the boats are going to a couple spots for halibut.

Upvote 0

critterkiller

AKA Cohobankie
    Jul 18, 2012
    W.Seattle
    Name
    Jefe'
    Boat
    1998 Tiderunner Pt. Defiance
    Does that sunken jetty show up on everyone's navigation devices? What happens if you go too far north on the bar?

Upvote 0

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
  • Aug 3, 2009
    Olympia,WA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    I agree completely about it taking the sport out of it but it is more of a forage operation. 800 ft is a tough ask to cycle through chickens, dogfish, and skate. My favorite is when the captain gets to the hole and doesn’t know the drift yet. By the time you get to the bottom he realizes you never had a chance, “bring em up”.

To the OP... most the boats are going to a couple spots for halibut.

You must fish with a shitty captain cause that has never happened on my boat.

Upvote 0

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
  • Aug 3, 2009
    Olympia,WA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Does that sunken jetty show up on everyone's navigation devices? What happens if you go too far north on the bar?

I am confused by what your asking. They must be 2 completely seperate questions that have nothing to do with one another?
    1. It shows up on most I would assume but if it doesnt, draw a straight line from the tip of the exposed rocks to the red can about 1/2 mile? off the tip and this should get you pretty close to the location of the submerged jetty.

2. There is no considerable submerged jetty on the N side like there is on the S. You can turn N into the ocean as soon as you are a safe distance from the tip of the exposed N tip. Often times the swells roll in way bigger on the N side as they approach the tip so be aware of this factor as well.....and then again sometimes the N side is where you want to cross. Most is based on experience and knowing the bar at certain tidal exchanges, wind directions, swell height, etc.

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbersPNW
    Upvote 0