Kool-Aid

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 18, 2008
WA
Name
Jason
Boat
World Cat 266SF
Well as I’m getting near rounding the corner with Turn N Burn To put her in her slip, it brings up the idea of crabbing out of Westport. I’ve done it exactly once and it was too long ago for me to remember if I did well or not. Just remember a lot of females.

How do you guys set your stuff up? I only use leaded line. Is 100 feet enough? Or do you scope it out further? Normal size bouts or do you go with something bigger? Weight in pots I’m assuming...umless using the weighted pots.

also...safe to leave on the deck of the boat? Or is that a dangerous proposition?

sgwill122

Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
I have always done well crabbing in Westport the few times I tried. I always set South of the South Jetty in 40-60ft using weighted Danielson pots and 100ft leaded line. I rarely lose a pot but if I do its cheap to replace. As you know commercial pots are everywhere so assume crab are too. Paul is the expert on crabbing in Westport @Genie Aye.

Kool-Aid

Mar 18, 2008
WA
Name
Jason
Boat
World Cat 266SF
Well I miss the days of the nisqually 7 1/2-8”ers but at this point I would be happy with any crab.

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
Sep 25, 2008
Renton/ Westport
Name
Cap't Paul
Boat
V-20 Wellcraft w/200HO E-TEC
Just space pots, i generally am 1/8 mile apart at different depths. Reason, i have pulled pots with 30 females and the next with 12 keepers and next empty. Bait heavy. The square danielsons work great, but bait placement is paramount to make sure doors will close.

Kool-Aid

Mar 18, 2008
WA
Name
Jason
Boat
World Cat 266SF
Do you use the weighted doors or will the regular ones work ok?
I hate to say that I want to keep it inexpensive but I just have this feeling my pots are gonna disappear.

and from the looks of it... we can’t store them on the docks of our slip either?

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
Do you use the weighted doors or will the regular ones work ok?
I hate to say that I want to keep it inexpensive but I just have this feeling my pots are gonna disappear.

and from the looks of it... we can’t store them on the docks of our slip either?
If you’re handy you could make a half dozen pots.... good quarantine project..... the standard is round, but there is no evidence that a round pot out fishes a square one.. grab some rebar and weld up some 30” squares 10” deep. You can buy escape ring and roll of stainless wire at fisheries....

The wrap is simple thick pond liner materials from your local landscape place cut in strips and start wrapping the frame....

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
Sep 25, 2008
Renton/ Westport
Name
Cap't Paul
Boat
V-20 Wellcraft w/200HO E-TEC
I do not weight the doors. I do zip tie 5 to 8 lb downrigger ball in the bottom inside the pot. Also use the commercial style net bait bag, holds a ton of bait. I pick up my pots at garage sales to. As long as you stay out of the bay, you shouldn't lose any, if you are crabbing the bay..babysit them
Any more i can help you with, stop by and i can show ya.

Reactions: DaKanati

TimeZoned

24’ Hewes Alaskan
Apr 27, 2013
Port Orchard
Name
Jeff
Boat
24’ Hewes Alaskan
Another cheap alternative for weighting the pots I’ve found is to go to good will or Salvation Army and get some old 5 or 10lb weights from an old weight set. They are usually only a couple of bucks and easily zip tied to the bottom of the pot.

Reactions: Genie Aye