Titan

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Name
Kamen
Boat
Dinghy
Found them at 25/46. Stopped on some birds feeding on baitfish. Started chumming heavily and got a bait stop going that lasted for hours. Ended up with 17 and lost at least a dozen more. Biggest one went 31 lbs. Water was 63.5 degrees. No other boat in sight. A nursery of baby sunfish followed us around. It was pretty cool. Then, a large pod of Risso's dolphins came and put up a big show for us.

V__0717.jpg

WP_20160905_13_55_35_Pro.jpg

Waterdog~

Just one more
Sep 1, 2009
Hollywood
Name
Brian
Boat
Tiderunner
Nice work.....
What are your thoughts on why your loosing so many fish?????
Just curious...

Titan

Jun 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Name
Kamen
Boat
Dinghy
Nice work.....
What are your thoughts on why your loosing so many fish?????
Just curious...
A lousy captain. :-)

Multiple reasons. I got spooled by a big fish. One knot failure. Most pulled the hook. I think we fought them a little too aggressively. Still learning...

Reel Hooker

“Ice Melter”
Sep 9, 2013
Carnation
www.metropolitandetail.com
Name
Benjamin
Boat
Parker 2320 Long Cabin 'REEL HOOKER'
Pulled hooks IMO can be led to by not engaging the drag fast enough. if you count for more than 1-2 second, (even though guys count to 4) the chance of the choivie getting to the gut is very likely. so when you pull a hook after fight for a while, most of the time its from late sets and being gut hooked, then eventually the gut hook comes free and you get your hook back with no fish. But thats just my theory, engage drag quicker and i Bet you stick more fish!!

Reactions: easydoesit86

dany08fa

Almost A Member
Aug 5, 2008
Olympia
Name
Daniel
Boat
High Hopes
i think pulled hooks has a lot to do with how aggressive the fish are biting. some days the tunas are lighter biters and the hookset isn't gonna be as consistent. we have days where the tunas pick up the chovies and drop them and jigs get hit, but don't stick. these are the days we loose more fish than we boat. the days were the tunas are INHALING baits our hook/land ratio is much higher. i don't do this, but matching the size of the hook to bait. when the live bait is huge and you use a size 4 hook youre gonna pull more hooks then a smaller chovy on a size 1 or 2 hook.

Mazu

Aug 30, 2008
Seattle/Westport
Name
Leif Jackson
Boat
22' Sea Sport, "Mazu"
Great day Kamen, thanks for the experience! I can still picture the albacore visibly schooling below the boat, dropping a bait in and watching it get eaten, throwing the drag on and looking around to see everybody fighting fish. I have more tuna than I know what to do with, but I might need to go again before putting the rods away for the season.

Wild Adventures

Almost A Member
Jul 4, 2016
Kettle Falls/ Tacoma
Name
Josh
Boat
Hewescraft Searunner
We also found them yesterday at 38/45. Had the second troll rod go off at the start before I could even get it in the rod holder! We ended up with 10 which wasn't bad considering this was our first time catching them and my crew consisted of my wife, 13 year old boy, and 7 year old girl. Learned a lot and will do much better on bait stops next time.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Grady226

Apr 17, 2009
Marysville,Wa
Name
Gary
Boat
22' Grady White
Nice job Kamen.

At the Tuna round table Darrell commented that he uses circle hooks to lessen the pulled hook syndrom. And I think Tommy said 1 hook it!

Reactions: rk52