Westport 7/12

Discussion in 'Washington Saltwater Fishing Reports' started by obsession, Jul 12, 2019.

1. obsession

obsession Newbie

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    Obsession
    Heard a good report from 7/11 evening bite at 46 52 x 124 17. Started there with 1 wild and lost one. Pretty slow. The ocean was as flat as it gets so we made the 30 mile run to 47 17 in 270 FOW with a small fleet of private and charter boats. Not much better. We never had a bite but did hear reports of a random fish. In no way worth the fuel. On our way north at 25 mph we hit a 6'+ blue shark, I thought it must have been a log or crab pot but when we went back to look there was an unhappy blue wrapped up in the motors. No damage but a pretty good pucker factor for a minute or so. Just one short rant, I am getting tired of slow fishing and I can't help get the feeling that the agency in charge of WA fishing is some what to blame. The only thing worse than slow fishing is not being able to keep the one fish of the day for dinner due to a fin that is far more likely a tribal fish or missed clip hatchery fish. If all the fish with fins out there were wild they wouldn't be endangered. It would be nice to accept applications for new management due to poor past performance. If that seems like a reasonable rant its because I edited it to avoid ending up on more suspected terrorist watch list. Regardless of fishing success rates I will be out there, always an adventure and what a cool place.

IMG_0969.JPG

liltrouble and TimeZoned like this.
  2. silver slayer

silver slayer I've posted enough I should'nt have to edit this

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    25' starcraft expedition
    If you dont like shitty fishing up your game. Our opportunity has increased in recent years due to newly elected officials that fight for our seasons. Sometimes fishing is what it is and slow days usually produce the best memories. How often you hit a big blue shark. Shit you'll remember forever

Swede likes this.
  3. Sea Sport

Sea Sport Made in Washington

Name:
    Chuck Masonic
    Boat:
    Excalibur-2700 Sea Sport Pilot-
    Bolt decision 1967. Once the rivers were netted, the game was over for large fish and sportsman catches like we had back in the 50s and 60s. By 1972, the 300 charter boat fleet of Westport was decimated. We used to have a 3 fish limit per angler and 35-40 lb kings frequently. Now, a 25 lb king is a trophy. We spend a lot of money in fuel, tackle and boats to get a small share of the remaining quota of salmon and are restricted to barbless hooks that are not required for any other fishery. Sorry, but it grates on one to have to put up with such one sided rules.

4. Kitsap Fish hunter

Kitsap Fish hunter Newbie

Name:
    Andrew
    Boat:
    Arima 17 Sea Chaser
    I have no idea WTF you are talking about, ask the guys that fish in Puget Sound....more opportunity my ass.

5. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    Go to MA 4!

Just got back last night. Second trip this year. Yesterday morning I released a decent King because I was confident I could do better. A few minutes later, I ran into a huge (YUGE!) dense school of something on my fishing T.V. that covered several acres. I ruled out what I wasn't fishing for and dropped my hootchie down to 75'. Barely got the slack out of the line then, PAIYAHH!!! Then? ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Bleed fish. Mark catch record, move out of area, set cable at 16 feet. (16' for minimum 16" fish length. Stupid I know, but stupid is as stupid does, I guess)

Steady silver action. One after another. Unfortunately, although long enough, not what the warden says I can keep. "Keep this one boss?" "Not now boy." "Drink of water boss?" "Later boy."

Gotta do what the Warden says even when it means that I will without a doubt injure/kill multiple wild fish despite factory barbless hooks, a knotless net and as much care as I can to avoid damage. Why not let me keep any silver over 16"? I would have pulled my gear after the first fish. Instead, THE MAN forces the death of numerous unclipped, AKA "wild" in an attempt to save them?

Finally, got tired of resetting the downrigger and headed to the ramp.

Some of the folks who make these rules must be smarter than me because they hung in there past the ninth grade.

P.S. Sorry Rob. MA 4 closes for Kings tomorrow.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  6. NerkaSalmon

NerkaSalmon Newbie

Name:
    Mike Kennedy
    Boat:
    Ruby
    You needed to push further north. Southerly earlier in the week pushed the fish they were working up the line.

7. NerkaSalmon

NerkaSalmon Newbie

Name:
    Mike Kennedy
    Boat:
    Ruby
    Waaaay up the line! D I looked stunning inshore yesterday.

8. KimH

KimH Someday I'll live the dream.

Name:
    Kim
    Boat:
    26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
    I've been out fishing 3 times so far...been busy helping my 98 year old mother get through a couple of hip surgeries and the after affects otherwise I'd of been fishing as much as possible.

--First day was last Monday (7/8), good fishing but a ways up the hill. Just for fun we mooched, had a lot of follows and missed fish. Fish to me seemed to be not aggressive.
    --Fished Friday (7/12) after the Southerly weather and a day getting my mother to get her hair done. I finally figured out why my hair is gray/white and her's isn't isn't...and I thought it was just my high stress job. Anyway the reports were the Northern fish died off but there was a good report basically straight out. It wasn't good fishing. I finally started to get some action by going deep with the rigger. 145' or deeper at times but had a hell of a time keeping them stuck. I was fishing alone getting the skunk off in the afternoon with a silver and finished the day with a 12 or 13 pound king.
    --Fished yesterday (7/13) in the same area, alone again. Got the skunk off fairly quick with a small silver fishing deep with the rigger. Had several other tries but couldn't stick couldn't keep the stuck.

It to me seems as if the fish aren't all that aggressive. Water temps are through the roof. 63 degrees all over the place and I think I heard one of the charters saying he was seeing maybe 65 or something a bit further to the North. It's gotta be affecting how the fish are moving and feeding. I think yesterday one of the charters had decent fishing 40+ miles North yesterday with constant action but somewhat tough getting fish in the boat. He limited. Kind of sounded like non aggressive fish again. My theory is it's too warm right now.

outfishn and GregE like this.
  9. liltrouble

liltrouble Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Shari
    Boat:
    Mr. Buttercup
    WP charters all fueled up last night to run to destruction island. There are a lot of fish holding there

10. ShoreSling_r

ShoreSling_r Member

Went out on Sea Angel with a buddy on Thursday the 11th. Did that 30+ mile run north. Crew worked hard to put us on mostly wild coho, and we got back to WP at 4:30 with only 9 keepers for 12 anglers. I only landed 4 wild silvers and went home empty handed, but my friend landed a 10# king early. Not what we had hoped for, but the worst day fishing is still fun always... 20190711_141559.jpg

sgwill122 and KimH like this.
  11. Sea Sport

Sea Sport Made in Washington

Name:
    Chuck Masonic
    Boat:
    Excalibur-2700 Sea Sport Pilot-
    That's good news that the fish are at least coming down. Not so good that there may be a lot of Wilds. Thanks for the report.

12. bducky

bducky Member

Name:
    bob
    Boat:
    20 ft duckworth
    We caught 3 fish (coho)within 10 miles of Westport yesterday, 2 hatchery and one wild with one coming unbuttoned.

Cam Che and Benjam99 like this.