Hungone

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 14, 2012
Long beach
Name
Hung One
Boat
Hung One
Hopped on the Western Pride when I heard they were doing a full day bluefin trip. Long story short, there’s a ton of big bluefin locally. We were run and gun fishing as quick as the boat could go. We ended up going 2 for 6 and I was lucky enough to get 1. I would say 60-70lbs give or take. Our last stop was on some SLUGS. ALL 100-200 lbers right on the bow, we hooked 4 and lost them all.

I got mine on the old trusty 4/0 conversion yellowtail special with a 7 stack drag and 4:1 gears. Honey calstar 6480 rod and 40lb and spectra backing. The setup handled the fish no problem but it definitely kicked my ass

Big shout out to captain mike and deckhand Robbie, they were great, as was the rest of the crew.

we didn’t really see any small fish around

40729E9C-2E00-49DE-8B46-19BBD4FBA232.jpeg

5FFF5FD5-5DCF-4800-BDF4-625A54C6BE01.jpeg

I

Last edited:

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
Aug 7, 2008
Westminster, CA
Name
Brian
Boat
2005 Grady White Seafarer 228 (no name yet)
Cool! Jimmy will be stoked foe the publicity. I have a picture of that same jig in someone's thumb that came to my work to have it removed. And we saw you fighting that fish. I went past you and got my dreams broken as I casted a sniper, stick bait and live mac into a school of 70-170#'ers

Hungone
Hungone
Right on! Yeah, the Caivo held up very well, as I had my drag set pretty tight.

When I didn't get a bite on the last stop, I kept thinking, "Damn, probably a good thing I didn't hook up" LOL. I'm sore today.
Upvote 0

To The Good Life

Almost A Member
  • Sep 15, 2020
    Orange County
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Yamato
    Nice fish. I tried to get on that boat but was a minute too late. What are the BF biting on? If the BF are still around, I wonder why Newport Landing is not offering this trip anymore?

Upvote 0

Hungone

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jan 14, 2012
    Long beach
    Name
    Hung One
    Boat
    Hung One
    Nice fish. I tried to get on that boat but was a minute too late. What are the BF biting on? If the BF are still around, I wonder why Newport Landing is not offering this trip anymore?
    100 gram colt sniper types jigs and a hot bait. We got hits when the schools stayed up and were foaming. We didn't get any hits off the smaller "boil" spots. They were crushing anchovy balls.

40Lb and up on the line

Reactions: Tunahead
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    GREAT REPORT info, pics and NICE FISH Hung One LOL Man oh man fished that boat for Eons but never for tuna. I see ol' Captain Bob E. at the Market now and then. Shoot the breeze. My God the memories.
    Glad to see you and a few others got a WP Bluefin. EPIC LOL

Reactions: Hungone
    Upvote 0

watersdeep

I CATCH IT. I KILL IT. I CLEAN IT. I DON'T DELIVER
  • Jan 19, 2016
    LB
    Name
    Jed Venture
    Boat
    the twisted ducker
    SICKNESS!!! Headed to LB FISHING SUPPLY right now. Well in the AM.
    Congrats on the POKE!

Upvote 0

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
    Jun 28, 2006
    El Cazonn on way to Florida
    Name
    Frank F
    Boat
    Boat-less (Sad)
    Hopped on the Western Pride when I heard they were doing a full day bluefin trip. Long story short, there’s a ton of big bluefin locally. We were run and gun fishing as quick as the boat could go. We ended up going 2 for 6 and I was lucky enough to get 1. I would say 60-70lbs give or take. Our last stop was on some SLUGS. ALL 100-200 lbers right on the bow, we hooked 4 and lost them all.

I got mine on the old trusty 4/0 conversion yellowtail special with a 7 stack drag and 4:1 gears. Honey calstar 6480 rod and 40lb and spectra backing. The setup handled the fish no problem but it definitely kicked my ass

Big shout out to captain mike and deckhand Robbie, they were great, as was the rest of the crew.

we didn’t really see any small fish around

View attachment 1297296

View attachment 1297297
    I
    Funny I just posted today about how these reels are not only capable but have been bringing home BIG fish for ever.
    Cool!

OD Billy

Aug 27, 2013
    Corona CA
    Name
    Billy coria
    Boat
    Fish slayer
    Nice catch was on trip with you, was the other lucky one that got one , that got rocked lol,got some picts for you

Hungone
    Hungone
    Nice meeting you! Your fish was nice, especially on the 30lb!
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

fishdog43

Mar 3, 2021
    OC
    Name
    Eric Metz
    Boat
    none
    I got mine on the old trusty 4/0 conversion yellowtail special with a 7 stack drag and 4:1 gears. Honey calstar 6480 rod and 40lb and spectra backing.
    Hey! Don't you know you can't do that! You have to have a fancy $400+ two-speed reel to catch any tuna nowadays.

Hungone
    Hungone
    The deck hands were joking around with me pretty good about my gear lol. I can afford nice gear, I just have a thing for old school “everything”. Trucks, cars, signs, fishing gear… cougars …. Grew up watching my pops and uncle fish it, so it brings back good memories.

Btw, I know you were just joking. Just thought I’d share my love for VINTAGE
    Upvote 0
    Hungone
    Hungone
    The deck hands were joking around with me pretty good about my gear lol. I can afford nice gear, I just have a thing for old school “everything”. Trucks, cars, signs, fishing gear… cougars …. Grew up watching my pops and uncle fish it, so it brings back good memories.

Btw, I know you were just joking. Just thought I’d share my love for VINTAGE
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

fishdog43

Mar 3, 2021
    OC
    Name
    Eric Metz
    Boat
    none
    Hey! Don't you know you can't do that! You have to have a fancy $400+ two-speed reel to catch any tuna nowadays.
    I was just messin' wit ya...That's ALL I have is old school gear. Seems everybody has all this new stuff like the old school gear can't catch anything anymore?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0