Westerly on the Dabs...

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by wxdunn, Jan 8, 2012.

1. wxdunn

wxdunn Member

Name:
    Chris
    Boat:
    none
    "Fishing with Phil" extended 1/2 day on the Westerly out of Long Beach Sportfishing with skipper John Ackley (good guy). Day started out slow, trying a few spots in 50-60' for one calico. Made the move out near the outer rigs in 150-160' and sand dab city. Great action for the kids and first timers. After loading up on the dabs, we ran back in to give the shallows one more try. Hit the gambler for a few sand bass and a couple of sculpin, but pretty slow. 20 people on the Westerly seemed like a private charter. Crew was great, weather was great. Good time had by all...and a very encouraging environment for the younger anglers on board. This was the first time I'd fished the Westerly (and first time at LBSF since I worked on boats there 25 years ago) and it was a great experience. My son said, after winning a raffle and the JP, "This is the greatest day of my life!" Can't ask for much more than that after a fishing trip with a 10-year-old!

www.thefishingweatherman.com

Attached Files:

2. Dane101

Dane101 Newbie

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    moneypit
    Good for him.Another kid hooked on fishing.Hope there is somewhere for him to fish in few years.

3. Team Karma

Team Karma Newbie

Name:
    Kyle
    Boat:
    54 Sculley: Karma 3
    Great report. Thanks for sharing. Getting your son hooked is a blessing and a curse...now all he'll ever want to do is fish.