Kolina

Walt
Jan 5, 2010
Waianae, Hawaii, USA
Name
Walter T. Okuma Jr.
Boat
25' Force COLLEEN
Friday I was getting ono for some fish so me and Joe packed and left the Harbor @ midnight. I havn't gone night time in a few months cause it has been cold. I must have picked the coldest night to get out there (it was Freaking Freezing and winds are blowing). On the first drift we set up and I get to use my new submersible light and the akule was in full force ten minutes later. The bite was constant for the next three hours and on the magic hour went full on. The menpachi was all large and extra larges. Ended up with full cooler of mixed bag of akule and red fish. Washed up and had fried akule for breakfast by 8 a.m.

Sunday I take some guest here for our freinds wedding. All were from IOWA and they just got off the plane Saturday night. The water was Nice when we find the dolphins first thing @ 1500 fm outside Nanakuli but had the pile for only half an hour to ourselves until the fleet showd up. After an hour we left to find better pastures. Headed down towards the pinnacle and ran into a bird pile when the short corner pops and a bull mahi is bouncing behind the boat. After getting the bully in the boat we set up to get back in them again, next pass the short corner goes again and the flat 50 starts smok'en. I thaught these were ahi until the 80 stops running after a hundred yards or so. we get two otaru's onbd. Set the same lures and head for the pile again then just like that they're gone. Headed more toward Kaena and find another pile and get in and get a four banger but only get three. Then went into chase mode for 30 minutes when we get a pass we get a double and only land one. Now its noon and were back chasing them down again. One of the fellows (Chris) has been sick and chunking the whole time we were out. He finally says he had enough, even after some coaxing by his buddy's we were headed for the barn. On the way in on the 1000fm we find another bird pile and get a triple mahi even with all the tangles and lines crossing everything we manage to get all of them in the boat. Now the wind is howling at twenty knots or better so we make our way in. At three miles from the harbor I see a single white bird working the area in front us when I notice the something floating in the water not expecting anything to happen we pass a single branch in the water get past it and the center come down with line rippen thinking again this was our ahi unilt the line stopped comming off the reel after short run. we get a monster otaru @ 31 lbs to join his freinds in the cooler. Not bad day. In by 1:30 p.m. Great Sashimi, Fried the bellies and bones, Made a scampi with the mahi and shrimp w/Onion and asparagus, got the sashimi for the wedding and Drying the rest. Wish I could have stayed out there but I have never in my lifetime seen someone as sick like Chris was. I'll post the picks and videos when I gettem from these guys. There probably out doing tourist things. Aloha Walt

akunui

Jan 15, 2007
oahu
Name
jason
Boat
28 Henriques "KEALOHA"
wow you really make me want to go fishing! Hopefully the birds will stick around for a while! good going on all your action!

JimmyK

Fisherman wannabe
Jun 1, 2009
Waipahu, Hawaii
Name
JimmyK
Boat
17' Seaswirl Striper CC, Krystana C.
Walt, good going on your haul, good to hear get some fish coming up on the West side!

patfishhi

Sep 20, 2007
Oahu
Name
Pat
Boat
32' Blackfin "Kai Nana"
Way to get after them Walt,

It sure is good to hear you found some fish. Moved the boat down Saturday (stayed outside the 1500) never saw 1 pile the whole way. But the boat is happy to be home!

Pat

russell kato

"Kamoku"
Jul 24, 2009
Honolulu, HI
Name
russ
Boat
15' Arima - Kamoku
Walt,
That is a nice haul for sure! Good to hear there are some fish out there at Waianae...just got to find em! I like them otaru strikes....kinda fakes you out for a little while...thinking Ahi but slows down pretty quick! Ummmm ....poke!

captdon1

Jun 4, 2009
kaneohe, hi.
Name
don
Boat
33' kamicraft "KIMI ANN"
good going Walt sounds like you had an action packed day,and top it off with a 31lb. otaru, can't ask for anything better,

aloha captdon

jonesd055

Feb 20, 2006
Hawaii Kai
Name
Jonesy
Boat
20', Calais, Shilelagh Law
Walt-great report....:Death_To_Above:

Is Chris available to palu this weekendbarf I'm planning on going out and sounds like he was chumming those fish right into your spread. Nah-good for him for hanging in there-had a similar experience on my boat but they guy passed out after puking for about two hours
....said he didn't get seasick before we went fishing, guess he was wrong!

Aloha,
Jonesy

cheehuli

May 22, 2009
Kaneohe Hi.
Name
Chase
Boat
24' Custom Sampan "Girlie T"
Awesome write-up Walt! Sounds like you had some cherry kine action on both days. My brother went westside night time last week but da whales nevah leave em alone the whole night. Do you have any pointers for us? We are jus starting to learn the ropes down that way.

Kolina

Walt
Jan 5, 2010
Waianae, Hawaii, USA
Name
Walter T. Okuma Jr.
Boat
25' Force COLLEEN
Walter that was a great day on the water, good things happen to good people!!!!
It felt good to give Family and freinds fresh fish!

Awesome news. Thanks for the post.
No Problem!

wow you really make me want to go fishing! Hopefully the birds will stick around for a while! good going on all your action!
I hope they stay too. Looking for a repeat Friday after my doctor appoinment!Blink/Blink

Walt, good going on your haul, good to hear get some fish coming up on the West side!
Got lucky. In the right palce at the right time!

Yes it was!

Way to get after them Walt,

It sure is good to hear you found some fish. Moved the boat down Saturday (stayed outside the 1500) never saw 1 pile the whole way. But the boat is happy to be home!

Pat
Everybodies days will surely come as long as the get out and off the couch!

Walt,
That is a nice haul for sure! Good to hear there are some fish out there at Waianae...just got to find em! I like them otaru strikes....kinda fakes you out for a little while...thinking Ahi but slows down pretty quick! Ummmm ....poke!
Yeah! Sure gets the heart Rate jumping up there!

Nice work getting those visitors some fresh fish. Dude must have felt like crap though....
I almost gave this guy a IV!

good going Walt sounds like you had an action packed day,and top it off with a 31lb. otaru, can't ask for anything better,

aloha captdon
I Hea dat, No can!
Walt-great report....:Death_To_Above:

Is Chris available to palu this weekendbarf I'm planning on going out and sounds like he was chumming those fish right into your spread. Nah-good for him for hanging in there-had a similar experience on my boat but they guy passed out after puking for about two hours
....said he didn't get seasick before we went fishing, guess he was wrong!

Aloha,
Jonesy
It sure looked as if he was going to pass out! I don't think this guy will ever get on another boat! In the Ocean ever Again!

Awesome write-up Walt! Sounds like you had some cherry kine action on both days. My brother went westside night time last week but da whales nevah leave em alone the whole night. Do you have any pointers for us? We are jus starting to learn the ropes down that way.
When you here or think the whales around you gotta keep making plenty noise. Keep the sounda running. There were whales that night but neva butta us to much. Summer time got to fish atleast 100-300 ft. Winter time stay between 50-120 ft. use a dimmer on your light. strong lights are good to start but when they start feeding around the boat start to make your light plume smaller to concetrate the fish right unda da boat. Dark nights are best for akule and opelu. menpachi no kea but one slow drift helps.

Must be some ono looking sashimi. Gots to get me some otaru sized aku someday.
Lunch, Dinner and breakfast. Someday day just gotta keep trying.

Aloha Everyone for the kind words and replies, Rememba no can catch nothing if you no go. get off the couch and live! Aloha Walt

cheehuli

May 22, 2009
Kaneohe Hi.
Name
Chase
Boat
24' Custom Sampan "Girlie T"
Mahalos for the advice Walt. Some simple but valuable tips that should really help us out nex time.
Aloha