Went Fishing PV last week

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by G-Spot, Apr 7, 2019.

1. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    Went to PV last week and prior to going we booked an overnight trip with the Osuna’s on the Marla II, to the Islands. This is your best chance at a giant yellowfin most times.

The plan was to leave at 5:00 pm the night before, dinner and beers on the boat then sleep while they cruise all night. Wake up catching some trumpet fish for additional bait and then hit the islands at sun up for fishing all day until sunset and then sleep on the way back. The boat was an 92 Rampage 36’.

We had a great time and great crew, we were fortunate enough to hook up on a 131lb and another smaller. My wife handled the 131 like a boss! The Apollo was out there for 3 days before we got there and had one small fish they cut up for sushi, so we are thankful! The crew made beautiful filets, vacuum packed it and put straight on ice.... we’ll have a chunk for dinner tomorrow.

The gear was Okuma with nice rods Super Seeker and UC.

We showed up a day early just to touch bases and discuss with Danny Osuna (good salesman) told us our captain Alonso Osuna jumped on a private yacht to go captain and fish the islands, so another crew would take us out and pick up the captain out there.

The day of the trip the crew Roberto Osuna, Rex and Fisga were ready to go and said we would meet up with Alonso. Then the captain Roberto Osuna told us Alonso was in Maztlan which made no sense? Then he and crew gave us some other bullshit stories, that the private yacht left and Alonso was waiting on a Panga, but the federally had made him leave, so they had to take care of us. My Sherlock Holmes brain started thinking none of this bullshit story made sense.... a Panga can’t make it to Maztlan, so the whole bunch of stories was bullshit. I don’t think it would have made a bit a difference on our trip, but just tell us the truth for fucks sake... They were never meeting up with Alonso and they didn’t even get their bullshit story straight...

The bad:

Marla’s is one of the premier fishing outfits in the area with a huge list of clients. Having fished many boats in many Mexico locations I am always amazed at the boats, the lack of maintenance, and high prices charged. The boat originally came with twin 450 cats and could really cruise, but used too much fuel cutting into profits so they changed them out to twin Cummins with 30% less HP, one of which had a bad fuel pump. they just troll it at 7-10 knots never actually using it as it was designed and built. The generator stopped working shortly after they left the harbor, so they switched the pumps to 12v and told us not to worry they had power inverter. Trying to start the generator told a clear story of neglect, the deck hand opened the hatch and twisted a few wires together, then grounded another wire to the frame of the starter and hollered for Rex the other hand to hit the button... this clearly has been how they operate this piece of shit. Still didn’t start, so they made dinner with the inverter for 110 power, this meant no A/C for sleeping. 4 people in a warm humid cabin, we did fine, but for $4k I think A/C would have been nice. The second night the inverter quit working, so they got the generator going. We fell asleep with nice A/C on the ride home only to wake up in a pile of sweat... obviously the generator conked out...

I have fished with a few of the premier captains of the area. Captain Lora of Punta Mita one trip was digging down below looking for used hooks because “his cousin used his boat” and there were no hooks.... Fishing Giants and paying top dollar and using rusty used hooks, I fished with Manny on El Matador and he advertises this bad ass boat with A/C and charges accordingly, yet the A/C didn’t seem to work and others who fished had the same experience.

It is what it is, but just make sure your expectations are not too high. The three captains mentioned above come with very high BD recommendations and make posts on the Mexican pages. Many guys won’t tell the truth for fear that the cool crowd will jump on you... we had a great time, we were on vacation and non of this stopped us from enjoying our time, but if you plan on fishing Mexico understand where you’re going and understand they will tell you whatever you need to hear to steal your money...

6EAFE383-F268-4B75-B544-A0EDB403E99D.jpeg
    33B1F428-86DE-427C-BA87-0A131EE54A91.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    atun53, Joda, Matthew WA and 5 others like this.
  2. carnage007

carnage007 Member

Name:
    nick
    Boat:
    to poor
    Good to hear actual experiences

G-Spot likes this.
  3. Icantswim

Icantswim Newbie

Name:
    Pele'
    Boat:
    WetSpot
    Thank you for sharing an honest review.

G-Spot likes this.
  4. ledbed6b

ledbed6b I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Eli
    Boat:
    Parker 2320
    John, most of the time I feel like you are just shooting posts out for the hell of it to be a smart ass, which is totally fine, this is the Internet after all, but this was a great post. Thanks for the solid review!

PS. don't want this to be to touchy feely so :finger: douche

Matthew WA, TwoTapPat and G-Spot like this.
  5. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Thanks! I always mean well! Now can we form a circle and sing Kumbaya?

6. Waterdog~

Waterdog~ Just one more

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    Tiderunner
    Thanks for the post but your far from Kumbaya...…..:finger::finger:
    just sayingLOL

G-Spot likes this.
  7. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Dammit! And I so thought I had arrived.

8. blowncar

blowncar Member

Name:
    james
    Boat:
    LOBO DE MAR
    My boat is sitting in Marina Mazatlan right now and we will be headed back down Oct/Nov and stay till April. I have a great Captain and mate who have fished the islands quite a bit. We will be doing a couple 3-4 day trips this winter. I have everything needed including cold AC. Willing to take 2 extra with us just split cost.

jasper hickman and FishPimpII like this.
  9. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    That’s a sweet offer! Anyone who has not caught a cow this or a long range trip (12 days or more) are the best two options!

Will you be fishing out of Maztlan and going to Tres Maria’s and staying on the boat?

10. blowncar

blowncar Member

Name:
    james
    Boat:
    LOBO DE MAR
    Yes boat sleeps 6 easily, will throw out sea anchor at night. Wife is awesome cook so we travel well. May relocate to PV for 1-2 months to shorten trips.

G-Spot likes this.
  11. tim stelzer

tim stelzer Newbie

Name:
    akraven
    Boat:
    52, searay stinger
    Why do you think a panga can't make it to Mazalan from the Marias? They do it all of the time. The navy has been randomly making both private, and comercial boats leave the islands lately. You were not lied to. Osunas are an honest family, and run an honest business. They are all very qualified captains, and some of the best fishermen I have ever seen. I haven't been on their boats, so I don't have first hand knowlege about the maintenence, but I can vouch for their honesty. Again, I'm positive you were not lied to. You can bitch about boat maintence if you want, ( even thought we all know the best maintaned boat will have problems) but calling some one a liar is very disrespectful and in this case not true.

12. EJ Swanny

EJ Swanny I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Erik
    Boat:
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    This thread will turn out as usual......:argue:.........getting old

Whalebreath likes this.
  13. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Here it goes. I knew this would be coming. I have been talking to and visiting LaCruz for many years and have talked with Danny way back when the harbor was new and Josh Temple was still around... For some reason Alonso was not able to make it and we had booked him and had e-mail confirmation and then suddenly the Shell game started. He’s a nice guy and runs a business that his brothers have been able to jump into with him. We suspected it the minute Danny told us, just something about the whole story didn’t make sense... if you could have even seen the look on the crews face as I asked a few probing questions you would have seen it was not true. As I said, it probably wouldn’t have changed the outcome. We had a great time and great crew...

You do not know any better than I do, but I know what I was told and how I was told and I can tell when things aren’t adding up. There was never at any moment any attempt like they were going to meet up... The story just didn’t add up... I know what I felt first hand and you are basing it on the fact that you like the guy... Honesty can be subjective in some cultures..

Yes, a well equipped panga with fuel capacity that sets out for the islands can do it, but a small local island panga that picks a guy up from a yacht would not be so equipped.

I am well aware that federally make people leave all the time and sometimes even detain boats and passengers for a bit. Roberto and I laughed about it. He has been detained several times and he promises not to come back and then does.... He said it rarely the same crews on the boats and they don’t really have much in the way of technology to save the info of the various captains that they send away...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  14. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    When I woke up in the boat the morning of I said where’s Alonso and without thinking Roberto said Maztlan, he didn’t even have time to get there if their story was true. When I questioned the statement is when you could tell the story was ooops... Also, why would a guy who lives and operates a boat out of LaCruz got to Maztlan rather than his home which is closer? Why would they not have simply met in open water between LaCruz and the islands since they both had a sat phone? The list goes on..... I was being lied to...if his intentions were truly to meet up and captain that boat it would have been easy...

As for maintenance and even well maintained boats breaking, I know this all too well.... the boat had not moved in days and when we went there someone had to call Danny to come talk to us, they clearly knew based on conversations and the gob of looses wires they had generator problems.... this was not the case of a well maintained boat having an issue. They could have taken the down time to fix the boat... This was a real report with real info.... buck up buttercup.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    swami 805 and blowncar like this.
  15. tim stelzer

tim stelzer Newbie

Name:
    akraven
    Boat:
    52, searay stinger

16. tim stelzer

tim stelzer Newbie

Name:
    akraven
    Boat:
    52, searay stinger
    It is my humble opinion that a fishing report should only contain provable facts. The generator did not work most of the trip that is a fact. It may have been the first time in 10 years the generator had problems,or it could happen all of the time. You have no way of knowing. It would be best to just state the facts, not give an unsubstantiated opinion on the maintenance of the boat in general. It was a fact that you had a different captain than planned on. I have no problem with you mentioning this fact. Saying they lied to you without proof is very disrespectful. If you can't prove you were lied to, than don't mention it. I personally don't believe you were lied to. There are many reasons Alanso could have ended up in Mazatlan. The Osuna's have always been honest to me. Danny has given me good fishing information, even when it would have better for him to keep his mouth shut. He has never lied to me. I have no way of knowing how honest a stranger on the internet is. Calling an individual a liar without proof is bad enough, but insinuating that not telling the truth, or as you put it saying anything to steal your money is somehow a cultural thing, is nothing more than ignorance and racism. Again just my humble opinion. Tim AKA buttercup.

17. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Well, as you say it’s the internet and you are entitled to your opinion, but beyond that you don’t control the information I choose to put in my report. Some things like the generator and the clear cobbled system of starting were obviously, plus I talked with the deckhand...

Here is a fact for you: the web site clearly states that the Marla II has twin 330 Cummins that cruise at 22 knots, they clearly told me that if and when the boat runs good it is only capable of doing maybe 17 knots, but it has had a bad injector pump for quite a while, so it is not capable of even doing that right now. Fact: they told me is used to cruise at 22-24 knots before they took out twin 450’s because they didn’t want to use so much fuel...

So is this a lie published on their web site? But they are very honest and would never lie....

I had many talks with Roberto Osuna and the deck hands and some of my information about neglect is based upon that, I just didn’t want to write word for word every conversation for two days. They were a great crew....

I know what happened, you do not... I am far from racist or ignorant.... Some people do not feel the same about a lie. Some people feel as long as you got a fishing trip a little small fib doesn’t matter.... you are putting your U.S. mentality on their lie.... The big joke about “5 Mexican minutes” is one such lie... over and over if they say 5 minutes it rarely means 5 minutes..... even while we stood around waiting for Danny and Momma to bring fish bags.....

You feel what you want... I know..

carnage007 likes this.
  18. la vida

la vida Now I love our Prezzz!!!

Name:
    Frank F
    Boat:
    Boat-less (Sad)
    Sounds like a very typical day in Mexico.
    I have been bouncing around for years everything you had to say is just the truth about Mexico.

If they didn't have such great fishing at times no one would put up wh with it. But it's just th he cost of traveling.

PV has been the Primer place to be the last few years. But Mexico, that I love will always be sub standard.

Honest experience that will get slammed here. And I'm sure you will go again.
    I just lower my expectations when traveling south. Always

G-Spot likes this.
  19. G-Spot

G-Spot Captain

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Very typical and I couldn’t agree more! I’ve been fishing it for 20 years and that’s why I added experiences from past premier captains as well to frame the situation and state that it always amazes me.... I knew before I posted at least one person would jump on me for honesty, but I do feel most reading it can use the info and to have proper expectations.

Grady226, la vida and blowncar like this.
  20. tim stelzer

tim stelzer Newbie

Name:
    akraven
    Boat:
    52, searay stinger