Well, this sucks!

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by Dipnet, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Dipnet

Dipnet Gainfully retired

Name:
    Tim
    Boat:
    17' Triumph
    Apologies if this has already been posted but I got this WDFW e-mail last night:

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
    Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
    600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/

October 16, 2015

Salmon fishing to end Sunday in Marine Area 10

OLYMPIA – The recreational salmon fishery will close at the end of the day Sunday, Oct. 18, in Marine Area 10, the portion of Puget Sound stretching between Seattle and Bremerton.

State fishery managers said the early closure is necessary to meet conservation objectives for wild chinook. The area was originally scheduled to be open through Jan. 31.

“We’ve had strong angler participation since the chinook fishery opened Oct. 1 and are quickly approaching our management guideline for chinook,” said Kyle Adicks, salmon policy analyst with the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW).

WDFW is closing Marine Area 10 to all salmon fishing in an effort to hold encounters with chinook salmon within allowable limits. Although rules for the fishery require anglers to release all wild chinook, not all of those fish survive the encounter.

The salmon fishing closure includes the marine area’s five fishing piers – Elliott Bay Fishing Pier at Terminal 86, Seacrest Pier, Waterman Pier, Bremerton Boardwalk and Illahee State Park Pier.

According to preliminary estimates, anglers had 1,512 chinook encounters through Oct. 11 toward the management guideline of 2,221 encounters.

After the area closes Sunday, the department will evaluate the final tally of encounters to determine whether any salmon fishing can reopen in Marine Area 10 this fall or winter, Adicks said.

Anglers can check WDFW’s webpage at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/ for other areas of Puget Sound that are open for salmon fishing.

oly jeff likes this.
  2. Nosecrets

Nosecrets Blackmouthers good side

Name:
    Blackmouther
    Boat:
    9' bullfrog "mr big"
    What? You dont like the new normal?

J.C., digits, Bellboy17 and 2 others like this.
  3. Grady226

Grady226 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    22' Grady White
    Wave of the future...MA 9 is next...Will the Bayside Derby be canceled??

It will only be 8 & 9 days into that opener.:deadhorse:shithappens:

4. Fish_kid

Fish_kid The Right Angler

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Parker 2120 "F-14"
    Kind of a good news, bad news story... lots of shakers being encountered in Area 10, which is different than the last few years... so hopefully that bodes well for future blackmouth seasons... but it sucks that Area 10 is closing again, on the heels of the summer screw job...

5. Cwillis

Cwillis Sometimes you're top boat...sometimes you're not.

Name:
    Casey
    Boat:
    23 Pacific
    Something has changed in the algorithm and yet nothing changes. Area 7 is again starting with a 2 fish limit come December 1st. Think it makes it until January this year?

Barracuda1 likes this.
  6. Barracuda1

Barracuda1 Master of None

Name:
    Fred
    Boat:
    Defiance 220 EX (BARRACUDA II)
    If it doesn't the Canadians like my revenues..

7. Nosecrets

Nosecrets Blackmouthers good side

Name:
    Blackmouther
    Boat:
    9' bullfrog "mr big"
    It will go until the Roche Harbor Classic, if it doesn't they will close it down with just enough quota left to make sure Debbie...oh excuse me Roche Harbor gets an economic boost. Fred, i hear our northern buddies may be in process of closing loop holes for yankees.

8. Fish_kid

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Parker 2120 "F-14"
    Hey guys...

We have a meeting with the Department next week to discuss blackmouth seasons, and I fully expect Area 7 to come up...

Are you guys in favor of dropping to a one fish limit up there right off the bat to try and extend the season length??? How about something a bit more painful like no boat limits??? I'm not sure what the Department could model or actually implement... just trying to get folks thinking...

9. Wild Bill

Wild Bill Drinking the Suzuki Kool-aid and liking it!

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Otter Craft
    If it means we could have the season go full term I would be for a 1 fish limit right out of the gate. Problem is not the amount of hatchery fish kept though, it is wild encounters and I have heard some arguments that a 1 hatchery fish limit would not reduce wild encounters overall. Not sure I buy it but it is an opinion that is out there.

Grady226, Jermz and Walker Inc. like this.
  10. Kingcg1990

Kingcg1990 Member

Name:
    Chad
    Boat:
    Kenner vision 1902
    1 fish limit...keep the first legal fish ya catch, instead of weeding through doze s of wilds..gets lines out of the water quicker..less encounters?

Admin Leave likes this.
  11. digits

digits Sportsman

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Voodoo Child
    Who's "We?" Regardless, doesn't really matter anyway because the WDFW doesn't hold the cards, the tribes and Feds. do. Please review 2015 North of Falcon "meetings" and the Muckleshoot influenced MA10 closure for example/details. Thanks.

Grady226 likes this.
  12. Fish_kid

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Parker 2120 "F-14"
    So "we" in this case is the members of the Sportfishing Advisory Board... And while I agree with some of your thoughts, the Department is trying to do what they can within what has been agreed to for the year... so they are making the effort to come North and meet with us to hear our thoughts and ideas...

I know that I'd really like to fish in Area 7 during the Christmas break... so I'd like for the seasons to support that... need to check in with Jay Fields and folks like that as I don't know all the derby plans...

We may also want to think about whether the derbies themselves should alter their rules somewhat to reduce impacts... limit entries? double edged as that reduces the money raised for the charity derbies... one fish limit for the derbies??? would that discourage entries and again reduce money raised???

13. barrie

barrie Member

Name:
    barrie
    Boat:
    2008 Seasport 24
    What loopholes are we Canadians thinking about changing? Most of the Chinook we catch here on the South Island are from WA hatcheries so if anyone should get loopholed it should be us not you. But we do share our hali with you so maybe it's a fair trade?

14. Grady226

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    22' Grady White

So, Tom, if you have been paying attention....There are 2 derbies now on the first full weekend in Dec.
    100 boat tickets each...That gives a possible 800 anglers a shot at winter blackmouth Dec. 4th & 5th.

Derby mentality says a lot of fish will be released by experienced fishermen & women.

Now what do you think!:finger::finger::finger:

15. “biteme”

“biteme” Killin kings

Name:
    Brian B
    Boat:
    26 osprey
    There are NO fish in a7. Please get back on topic of how great fishing is down south

digits and Grady226 like this.
  16. Dash One

Dash One Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    21’ Bayrunner Skiff
    Tom,

As you well might remember, I have advocated a one fish/blackmouth limit for MA7, from the get-go/opening day, at the last two NOF meetings. I understand that the department has shifted some quota from other marine areas ... and Ryan Lothrop (WDFW Recreational Salmon Mgr.) claims, that he expects, the winter blackmouth season to last 'till april 30th. Until we fish season-to-season (like the co-managers) instead of a quota system, the Anacortes Salmon Derby will not take place. I can not put any faith in the Departments estimates. The Resurrection Salmon Derby in early December is a GO.

I do want to thank you for your efforts on behalf of the sporties. I know that you, being a member of the Sportfish Advisory Committee, is a thankless job, and at times, those of you that serve have been marginalized, victimized, and hung out to dry. My hat's off to you and the others. Keep fighting the good fight my friend ... I applaud you.

Please feel free to call me to discuss issues/derby plans. Although I am not as deeply involved as I once was, I can still provide either information pertaining to, or put you in touch with those in the know.

Back to 16

Jay

digits and Grady226 like this.
  17. Fish_kid

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Parker 2120 "F-14"
    Thanks Jay! I might head up to your neck of the woods this weekend.

18. Fish_kid

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    Parker 2120 "F-14"
    Thanks Gary!

I try to avoid derbies like the plague... a derby ticket in my pocket usually means a skunk or shakers...

Jay mentioned the Resurrection Derby... what's the other one???

19. Grady226

Name:
    Gary
    Boat:
    22' Grady White
    Friday Harbor is hosting a replacement derby...There was a thread on it a few weeks back.

FishBoy82 likes this.
  20. digits

digits Sportsman

Name:
    Joe
    Boat:
    Voodoo Child
    Thanks for clarifying, and the work you do on the Sportfishing Advisory Board, Tom. Can't be easy.

The first thing that needs to be done to reduce impacts on ESA listed wild chinook (i.e. L. Washington wild chinook and other ESA listed wild chinook/salmon runs) is get the tribes and commercials to agree to stop using gill nets and other non-selective gear. That would be a huge step; if the WDFW, tribes, and the Feds' genuine intention is to reduce impacts on wild chinook. Start with this and go from there.

Why does it always seem the sportfisherman are expected to make these big sacrifices to our fishing rights, while the tribes and commercial fisherman seem to make little to no sacrifices to their fishing rights? That needs to change.