Drew Stephens

Almost A Member
Dec 6, 2017
Ventura, CA
Name
Drew Stephens
Boat
Sunbird Neptune 230
So rad! Whats your fuel range? How many gallons your tank hold? Ever since I repowered to a yamaha f200 a month ago my fuel burn is CRAZY good. Tanks on my 23' walk around is 124 gallons combined. I can get around 400 miles safely with tanks brimmed. That being said I will never have the balls to go to tanner in my boat haha.

Reactions: scubasmith
Upvote 0

Zika

Chum-Master
Aug 17, 2006
North County
Name
Robert
Boat
21 Bayliner Trophy (Cheap-BassTurd)
Great write up!

Multiple rod failures and you still land the fish of a lifetime!

Time to go test the reel seats on the rail rods I built!
Yeah I guess they can straighten it up and then pin it so it will never be an issue again!

Reactions: kbray001
Upvote 0

Zika

Chum-Master
Aug 17, 2006
North County
Name
Robert
Boat
21 Bayliner Trophy (Cheap-BassTurd)
Weather looks like you timed it perfect and your plan of attack paid off "Big time".

Not many can say they caught their fish of a lifetime on their own 20 foot boat 95 miles out.

So stoked for you hard-core dudes.
Thanks Russman !!

Upvote 0

TunaChaser20

Captain
  • Jan 13, 2013
    Santee ca
    Name
    Albert P
    Boat
    La Guera
    My buddy Tim and I decided to make the run to Tanner banks where the big dawgs live . We watched for a good weather window, checked reports,studied temp breaks, ect and made a plan. We decided to take my 20 foot Bayliner. I know she’s small but super reliable. Has a great new Yamaha 150 four stoke and gets great gas mileage..plus she’s super fishy !!

Left Thursday night at 11pm made a bunch of macs and started putting across. I took first shift while Tim tried to get some zzzz’s. Switched off by Catalina and at Grey light put some trollers in past Clemente. Stopped on a few nice paddys for nada and made a be line for Tanner!

110 miles later we arrived we put the balloons out with flyers and fly lined some macs out the back. Hooked our first bluefin on the flylined Mac about 25lbs. Stoked skunk off the boat !! At sun down we were preparing for flat fall fishing. We both had pre rigged flat falls Tim with 400lb leader and mine with 300 lbs .

We motored around all night looking for fish to drop on and found them bigtime !!! Tim hooked up first at 3:45am and holy hell that fish hit the after burners and ripped line on the first few runs. I cleared all rods and grabbed gaffs, lights and tail ropes to make ready ….this was a nice fish !! Tim put the wood to this fish with a Talica 50 and 130lb braid and in about 30-40 mins I sunk the first gaff!! The power of these fish is gnarly to say the least. Tim sinks another gaff we tailwrap it and a huge relief for both of us ….We got a really nice fish !!! We are on top of the world !! By the time we get her in the boat and in the killbag iced down it’s pushing 5am. We take a short breather and start again … at about 5:10am I hooked up on my Talica 20 and little did I know it would become the hardest most back breaking fight of my life !!!

Hour 1 Tim helps me strap in and the fish takes big runs more than half a spool of 100lb and pulls my boat around like a toy!!

Hour 2 things start to unravel for me. First I’m feeling it big time second my graftech rod doesn’t have a gimble and would pop out from the plate from time to time and a major pain in the ass trying to get it back in !!

Hour 3 I’m pretty much dying and to make matters worse the butt of my rod breaks off. Now I’m using a rag in my gut and the low rail on my boat hurts like hell and I’m at a stalemate with this beast around 100-150 feet. But wait there’s more. I’m keeping max pressure on the fish and kept the rod loaded the best I can and I noticed the reel is not aligned with the guides!! The freaking reel seat is slowly starting to turn to the side I’m cranking on Shit !!

Hour 4 I am beyond spent !! Im dealing with a sore gut, thighs, hips, and miss aligned reel !! Im telling Tim I’m not sure if I have enough left to finish this fish. Tim telling me you got this you got this but I have serious doubts!! Something has got to give so I buckle down and each time I gain line in the death circle I would thumb the spool so he wouldn’t gain much back and it was working !! Slowly I was making head way and Tim says it’s a freaking nice fish !! 4.5 hours later Tim sinks the gaff I can barely lift my arms but I grab the fish and Tim sinks another gaff he tailwraps it …we finally got her !!! Freaking unbelievable!!

During my battle the meter on my boat was lit up with huge fish but we didn’t want to further risk loosing my fish for another hook up. Plus we had no more room on my boat for a third big fish !! Wow just wow crazy amazing trip !! I know it was a long read and I know I left some stuff out, it was a trip off a lifetime for me with a great fishing buddy and my personal best fish ever !! Tim’s taped out at 225 lbs and my fish taped out at 274 lbs. still can’t believe it!! Total miles was 246 miles !! I burned 79.5 gallons. Here’s some pics !! It will be burned in my memory for ever !!

View attachment 1321746

View attachment 1321747

View attachment 1321748

View attachment 1321749

View attachment 1321750

View attachment 1321751

View attachment 1321752

View attachment 1321753

View attachment 1321754

View attachment 1321755

View attachment 1321756

View attachment 1321757