splashy77

Almost A Member
Apr 3, 2007
Lane Vicky
Name
Daniel
Boat
Hasbro's Timon and Pumba pool floatie
My Wife and i spent the weekend at Catalina. Friday was windy and Saturday and Sunday were a bit more mild with the usual gloomy mornings that transition into a lovely day away from the toxic world. Fishing is exactly what the reports (or lack thereof) have been saying. 3 B's can be had if you work a little, avoid Googan contact (yeah right!) or get lucky. We actually spent more time on the moorings this trip as it was nicer to just sit and relax with our dogs Catalina and Clemente and people watch, swim, cocktail, and dinghy ride around Isthmus. Fishing was egh, so we didn't hurry much for anything. Since we sold our Parker, we have moved into a much quicker boat with greater maneuverability and in doing so, have taken up the sport of "balloon wrangling." Before, i didnt much like changing course or altering my travels to investigate flotsam or something in the water other than birds, boils, or paddies and since the purchase of our newer boat, the twin 250 Verados allow us a lot more speed and enable our curiosity itch when wanting to check something out or "bone it" when conditions allow.
This brings me to the Weirdness Shit of this writeup. As we made our way across the channel Sunday June 26th, the conditions were the kind of conditions where if you were really looking, you could see a sardine splash at 400 yards due to zero disturbance on the surface. Now, I always try to investigate Paddies, or other forms of floating debris as i am not often in a hurry to get back to the docks or 110 traffic. Also, over the years we have seen or come across some crazy things like paddle boards, oars, animal carcass', endless lengths of free floating ghost line ropes, glass buoys, and of course balloons, balloons and more balloons to simply name a few..
About 6 to 7 miles from Queens Gate, i noticed/spotted some dark debris a few hundred yards out and slightly altered my course towards it. There was chatter all over channel 16 that morning due to a missing kayaker and some found items floating around the front side of Catalina so boaters and captains were asked to keep an extra eye out. My first thought was that it was a very large Sea Lion and like Maverick buzzing the tower, i had zero qualms about full throttling towards it to fulfill my childlike needs for razzing a fur burger, anyways, i quickly realized that it was too large to be a Sea Lion or any kind of sea life and immediately assumed it was a huge bouquet of "Congrats Grad" mylars. Upon closer inspection and now only 100 to 75 yards off my starboard bow, i was able to make out the shape of what appeared to be a rectangle transitioning into a smaller top, like a pyramid with the top cut off. It seemed to actually get taller as i approached. I feared perhaps to could be a partially submerged container or other large object so i backed way off the throttle and came to a neutral drift. This is where shit got goose fleshy. The object was dark and smooth looking, it oiled back down into the water at an unnatural descend. I know that sounds weird, but there was something to it that rang odd. A sea lion or sea life for example will pull their head under rapidly upon an approach from a boater or other disturbance, buoys float and bob in an almost rhythmic dance, what i am saying is this thing moved as if it were avoiding me but wanted to take a look at me at the same time. It left an incredible water disturbance or "footprint" on the surface as well. It truly gave us the creeps and i got the hell out of there! I've been thinking about ever since. Not like Richard Dreyfus form Close Encounters of the third kind or anything ("This is important, this means something!") but kind of. The only thing that could possibly make sense is a submarine yet it was almost too "primitive looking?" too unnatural? Im completely weirded out by the whole thing. It just wasnt right, if that even makes sense. Oh well, and like that we're right back to Monday and a work week. Thought id share what we saw this weekend in hopes that perhaps someone else may have experienced something like this or might even entertain our thoughts with their own versions of spectral yarns to be spun. Stay safe out there, keep your eyes peeled.
Daniel

Last edited:

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
Nice story, you should become a fiction writer. lol

Any pictures?

Upvote 0

splashy77

Almost A Member
Apr 3, 2007
Lane Vicky
Name
Daniel
Boat
Hasbro's Timon and Pumba pool floatie
Nice story, you should become a fiction writer. lol

Any pictures?
Brother I wish I had a picture to refer back to, that would at least set me at ease..

Upvote 0

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    I dont think a smugglers sub can fully submerge and navigate underwater,there more like a 3/4 submerged low profile boat so it MUST have been a USO lol.

Reactions: splashy77
    Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
    Sep 16, 2019
    United States
    Name
    Bud
    Boat
    Formula 233
    You never know what new and unheard of thing the Navy may be testing out.
    If you ever have an encounter like this in the future, call it in to the Coast Guard as a unknown submersible, back off a ways, and wait awhile.
    If you see a Navy chopper show up and start dipping something on a cable into the water, it wasn't ours and it's now time to go. If no one shows up, it was ours and you can continue on with the satisfaction that whatever it was may show up outside of the Wonsan Naval Base and play with Kim Jong Un's navy one day.

Reactions: Noms and splashy77
    Upvote 0

Croaker.Stroker

Old White Guy
    Nov 28, 2015
    Tustin
    Name
    Croaker
    Boat
    Arima Sea Pacer
    Triangular shape deflects radar.

Upvote 0