Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
20191111_182614.jpg

That's the end of the tag after being reinserted and buried back in. The loop is clean when I finish it but after being fished/put under working loads it somehow pops back up and there's a bit of fuzz on the doubled section around it. Normally I'd say screw it and just fish it but I had an unexplained hollow failure a bit ago that has me doubting the integrity of my braid in instances.

I'm guessing this is either because I'm casting lures through small casting rod guides or from line twist. Redo it or just fish it?

Scold

Yes, that's my back.
Dec 1, 2009
San Jose, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
N/A :(
When in doubt, redo. Splicing an end loop only takes like a couple minutes. Worth the insurance.

Reactions: RichG

ZZZZZ

natural born jig slingers
Dec 11, 2003
Costa Rica. SD, Old Del Mar
Name
Boat
Jet Ski Yamaha FX Show. ZZZZZ
Or get rid of the loop, too complicated LOL. And 1 leg is better then 4. Less line twist and less chance of others snagging your loop busting your fish off (snagged just before the bite). If one leg is longer line twist can occur. Tie it or sato crimp direct inline.

Make as needed so the line is memory fresh and made to conditions. So the top shot doesn't get storred for another trip. Is how I roll

Reactions: Russ Scholl

RideHPD

Aug 14, 2016
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
Pull it out, cut off an inch, rebury.
That's the weird thing, that was my first thought, but the fuzz was coming through multiple weave gaps, didn't really want to come through. I'm guessing it's really not an issue, just not very pretty.

screamingreel

Long Range Fanatic
Jan 14, 2006
Hayward CA
longrangesportfishingsandiego.com
Name
Jeff Burroughs
Boat
Long Range and Private
Creating hollow spectra inline loop ends is easy and super strong. Using a looped leader connected to the main line with a Cat's Paw knot is even easier and stronger. It goes through guides with ease. To keep all "legs" the same length, smooth out the spectra on both loops before cinching the connection. 16+ years of no mainline to leader connection failures. Works for me!

- Jeff Burroughs

Normslanding

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 13, 2010
Palmetto, Fl., USA
Name
Dave Spangler
Boat
Blue Heaven
Jeff, I have seen this on occasion. I did not find it to be an issue. Possibly you can put some kind of gunk on the end, or fuse the end with a lighter to help keep it inside.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Doubt creeps in. You need to have 100% confidence in your gear, especially your connections. Cut it off and redo it, especially if it’s the loop on the end of the spectra on you reel. If it’s a topshot, you’ll sacrifice whatever is inserted. What lb test is this, Spectra and leader material?

RideHPD

Aug 14, 2016
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
That's on the mainline side, 100lb JB, but the wear is a bit different. I'm making short looped sections to connect to 130-200lb fluoro via FG knot for casting stickbaits/poppers. Why? Because I'm doing this with a lever drag and don't want the leader material going into the tip at all, and because I don't want to be progressively cutting down and scrapping fluoro every time I want to change leader size/take the reel off the rod/etc., nor do I want to be tying these knots on a skiff, ever.

So, there's significantly more wear on the loops than normal, and I think this came from line twist. I'm also pretty sure the failure came from the line previously hitting the boat, as well as other fish. I really just need to land a fish on it to get my confidence back.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
So, there ya go. Mainline loop, cut it off.

Reactions: stephen campbell

afraser

Apr 20, 2008
sf, ca
Name
aaron
Boat
NA
I've never had the end of the spectra pop out on an endloop and I would not fuse it to add bulk, keep it clean- maybe resnip the end if you can. Only reason I can think this would happen is it is slightly too long, but it shouldn't affect performance. Now if it is coming out in the middle, not at the end, then you didn't keep you needle or wire inside the hollow the entire time and it poked out the side of the hollow (a spectra hernia if you will). That would weaken the connection, but not that much. Also, a single pass through on the cats paw is more effective. It always evens out the two legs, and it is easier to take on/off. Never a failure. Just make sure it is set correctly so that a loop doesn't fold back over the same line when it cinches. And line twist definitely inhibits spectra performance. Even with a swivel, I have to untwist the end of my line on my poppers to make sure it is twist free, which is a big deal with spinners.

fishordie

Aug 31, 2005
Calabasas CA
Name
Jamie
Boat
2013 Ranger Z521 with 250 Merc.: Now deceased.. Thank goodness
Hi Eric,

The situation you noted is not really that unusual at all when using hollow Spectra splices and loops. It happens quite often especially when there is a lot of casting involved. Though I cannot give the definitive reason it happens my guess is that due to various factors, where outside casing Spectra threads can slightly loosen as they get wet then dry, pull then slack, the inside tag end finds a way out from it's normally buried state.

My belief is the main reason is due to the sharp or any bending of a line for a variety of reasons which opens up the woven threads of the outside casing.. Example, take a piece of dry, heavy gauge spectra and just make a U shape.. You will see the outside of the bend opens slightly. When any material bends, the outside of the bend stretches and the inside contracts. With spectra this could easily give an opening where a few or more threads of the tag end can find a way out

Sections of Spectra bend in usage quite often.. Regardless how much tag was tucked down into the outside casing. Imagine casting as the line goes thru the guides and then the tip, non pendular actions of the cast, slack line lay in current are a few.. up and down conditions coming out of the tip as we short stroke or rail the rod. With short top shots, especially loop to loop connections , the inserted section of tag can easily be effected as it goes thru the tip. Again, if left unattended, there not much damage that occurs other than in the angler's mind it is odd.

In my opinion, when this slight flowering (fuzz due to fraying at the cut off of the tag tucked inside the hollow spectra) appears, as Basil noted, carefully pull out the fuzzy tag, cut off a small amount, and re-massage the tag back into the outer Spectra casing.. No Harm done regardless where this pull out occurs..assuming of course your connection, loop or spectra splice, was made correctly. And, as long as you do not use something sharp, that can cut the outside area of spectra, as you try to pull out the fuzzy tag end.

Talk soon Eric.

Jamie

Last edited: