aquaholic

Almost A Member
Sep 19, 2003
Santa Barbara, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
Anderson 22
How much weight does a 100lb bluefin lose when it’s prepped for the fish hold on a sport boat? Just curious how much they weigh when they come over the rail as opposed to being weighed for the processor.

Kos

The Tug Is My Drug
  • Aug 16, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    My wife's boat (yup!)
    I talked to Five Star fish processing and they say approx. 12% weight loss from the time it's caught to the time it gets to them. It works out better now for us fisherman because we're giving the processor a fish that weighs less than when it was caught, so we pay less to have it processed. The downside is you never get an exact weight unless the boat has a scale on board.

Reactions: OldDawg_NewTricks
    Upvote 0

mike garrahan

TheSabreGuy
    Sep 7, 2007
    la habra hts
    Name
    mike garrahan
    Boat
    23 ft. crestliner
    I don't think it works out better for the fishermen. Processing used to be 65 cents a pound for a long time. Once the boats started doing more gill and gut for the bigger tuna the processors just raised their prices. You used to get a discount if you paid cash and often they would throw in a free T shirt. Those days are long gone. First it went to .75 then .85 and then .95. I think they skipped $1.05 and went straight to $1.10. Now if you bring in a fish that is not gilled and gutted you still pay the higher price.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    Taping them out (length and girth) is an easy way to get you a reasonable weight.

Check this thread:

Reactions: azbaseball
    Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    I talked to Five Star fish processing and they say approx. 12% weight loss from the time it's caught to the time it gets to them. It works out better now for us fisherman because we're giving the processor a fish that weighs less than when it was caught, so we pay less to have it processed. The downside is you never get an exact weight unless the boat has a scale on board.
    I know the processors aren't happy about the weight lost. It just a matter of time before they add 10% to the weight of a gill and gutted fish or charge a different price for gill and gutted fish.

Upvote 0

bullyo

Aug 5, 2005
    San Marcos
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    None
    They are a small business and an absolute luxury to have. No matter what they charge, you don't have to use them. Try opening a similar operation and see what the costs amount to for the freezers, a/c, permits, etc., blah blah blah. Never mind finding a steady workforce with their crazy hours. Anyone remember the days of letting the popsicles thaw out?

I have and will use them as they provide a great product/service and it is100x easier than doing myself

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    My last big tuna taped-out at 205# and after being gilled & gutted and bled was weighed at Five Star at 180#. So the percentage figures mentioned are pretty close.

Upvote 0