mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Short version: Fished Catalina for 4 yellowtail to 17 pounds, the 3 Bs, and rockfish. Water temps 62 to 67, dines were working for those that had them. Best area was between the front side MPLAs. Skip to the pictures below.

Novel: My son Sean and I went fishing at Catalina on our boat the Mako My Day. We left Friday morning and picked up some bonito sized sardines from Nacho. The crossing was like glass, but most of the bait rolled anyway, and those that didn’t lost most of their scales. The backside from Church Rock to the Suicide Kelp was loaded with red crab in 64 degree water. We only had a few baits left so we started slow trolling the bo-hunks. The seals were dogging us and stealing baits right off the trap rigs, so we did some bottom fishing with frozen squid for some sheepshead and bass, which were all released.

We moved around front and Avalon was hosting the Bud-Light “Up for Whatever” party. I thought about getting a mooring, then came to my senses. We went to the Frog Rock area and put out the trollers again. We caught some bones and I got a 4 pound calico. Sean got a nice barracuda on a mega bait, again all fish released. Then my troller gets zinged hard. Whatever it was broke off the 25 pound flouro in a hurry, so I switch to a 40 pound rig. Right away I get zinged again and it just won’t stop taking line, so we start chasing it. Turns out to be a large sea lion, so I buttoned down the drag, gave ‘em a few extra hits, and broke him off. Final score for the day: Nature 2, jokers on the Mako My Day 0 (although I think the dog won’t be trying to steal bait for a while).

The next morning we are only able to jig up about a dozen large Spanish mackerel for bait. With all the kelp being gone, bait is really hard to catch right now, even in our best honey holes. We start up toward the Isthmus, and see 4 boats on the hook and watched from a respectful distance as a guy pulled in a nice yellow. Bravo. Since we have only a few baits, anchoring up and chumming is not an option, so we slow trolled outside in deeper water. I got zipped for 8 and 15 pound yellows. Finally we are on a roll! We chat it up with the other boats and everyone is having a good time, catching fish, and all smiles. Water temp was around 66 degrees.

About this time, here comes the Gail Force charging down the line, almost right in my trolling spread. He pulls up to within 40 feet of me and proceeds to talk smack over the PA about my boat, my fishing method, and has the gall to tell me to move my boat from his spot! We shout a few choice words and flip him the one finger salute and try to hold our line. He circles around once, and then bails, talking shit the whole time. I got breaking news for you buddy: YOU DON’T OWN THE OCEAN. And seeing how we were there for a long time before you got there, it’s not your spot. Fat boys on the Mako My Day 1, Captain Clown Shoes on the Gail Force 0.

After that, Sean gets another small yellow, which we release. We go over and talk to a few of the anchored boats, and they relay to us their own “run ins” with the Gail Force. I don’t know what that guy’s problem is, but he is in serious need of having his attitude adjusted.

Later that afternoon, we head back to the same spot and most of the boats are gone. We are down to 2 baits when we put out the trollers. This time, Sean gets a serious zing on 30 pound. It turns out to be a 17 pound yellow and he is totally stoked. We moor up at Cherry Cove for some relaxation and victory cocktails for me. In the morning, we tried to make more bait, but no go. So we hit our favorite rockfish spot for 2 nice reds and a chucklehead for tacos. Another glass ride back to the barn topped it off!

Sean with his 17 pound yellow (note the gaff shot right in the cheek!)
    DSCN1290.JPG

Mike with my 15 pound yellow:
    DSCN1285.JPG

Chirp Sonar reading of a sunken sailboat outside Emerald Bay. The structure detail is incredible. Check out the large fish marks to the right of the screen:
    DSCN1296.JPG

Last edited:

hotrod

El Capitan
    Mar 23, 2003
    Escondido, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    22' Grady White Seafarer ("GalaxSea")
    About this time, here comes the Gail Force charging down the line, almost right in my trolling spread. He pulls up to within 40 feet of me and proceeds to talk smack over the PA about my boat, my fishing method, and has the gall to tell me to move my boat from his spot! We shout a few choice words and flip him the one finger salute and try to hold our line. He circles around once, and then bails, talking shit the whole time. I got breaking news for you buddy: YOU DON’T OWN THE OCEAN. And seeing how we were there for a long time before you got there, it’s not your spot. Fat boys on the Mako My Day 1, Captain Clown Shoes on the Gail Force 0.
    Nice going on the tails. You're right, no one owns the ocean. Sounds like a dillrod to me.

nefarious235

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 1, 2008
    Proudly American
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    canoe & plastic flotsam
    Fat boys on the Mako My Day 1, Captain Clown Shoes on the Gail Force 0.
    Classic, that guy is a dillrod

GarytheCPA

Jun 13, 2011
    Costa Mesa/California/USA
    Name
    Gary Craig
    Boat
    36 BHM
    trolled the same area with my daughters towards the west end. Had no bait, and impatient little girls on board. The weekend was mostly an island campout trip. Trolled Halcos. Went 0 on the yellowtail, but saw folks catching. Watched and had a similar experience with the Fail Force, almost to the point where it was funny. That dude is ridiculous.

Nice spots of working birds and red crabs, patties with bait, all the way from the rigs to the island. You are right about the kelp. Its different at the island this season.

Only fish of mention that we caught was a 14" halibut on a swimbait (orangy red and rootbeer) on the stringline at the isthmus. Got to see it hit it. My daughters thought that was cool.

Reactions: PacificPredator

PacificPredator

Captain
    Dec 9, 2010
    LBC
    Name
    Brad
    Boat
    29' Phoenix Sportfisher
    Nice work. Thanks for the post.
    Had a similar experience yesterday in all regards...

-Crappy Mackerel sized dines from Nacho.
    -A few yellows frontside.
    -Captain Douche on the FAIL FORCE muscling in on where I was fishing, although he was not talking smack.

But still, we had fun, and looks like you did too.

P

Paddyman1

Yeah I don't get the mentality of a fishing business, whose name is displayed on their boat, would put themselves in a position to tarnish their reputation and revenue. Seen it before, and will probably see it again. Not all skippers are the same, sporties or private.

Hebby

Almost A Member
    Jul 13, 2011
    Torrance, CA U.S.A.
    Name
    Graham Hebson
    Boat
    1990 Jersey 36 - Teaser
    We were chatting with you at Empire after the Gail Force incident. I didn't know you were that low on bait, we had a bunch of Dines and would have passed you some. We were on the "Sea-Esta" Phoenix 29 with the Blue canvas on the hook. Looks like you guys did pretty well. We moved up to the west and slow trolled some dines for a bit. Something hit the coffee grinder I keep on the boat for the newbies and spooled it before I could even turn the boat to chase it. Stopped at a few paddies in the channel on the ride home for nada. Lot's of micro bait on the paddies but nothing on meter or seen. Till next time.

seadancer

Almost A Member
    Jul 2, 2007
    Westminster, CA
    Name
    Craig Gilbert
    Boat
    none
    Whst
    Short version: Fished Catalina for 4 yellowtail to 17 pounds, the 3 Bs, and rockfish. Water temps 62 to 67, dines were working for those that had them. Best area was between the front side MPLAs. Skip to the pictures below.

Novel: My son Sean and I went fishing at Catalina on our boat the Mako My Day. We left Friday morning and picked up some bonito sized sardines from Nacho. The crossing was like glass, but most of the bait rolled anyway, and those that didn’t lost most of their scales. The backside from Church Rock to the Suicide Kelp was loaded with red crab in 64 degree water. We only had a few baits left so we started slow trolling the bo-hunks. The seals were dogging us and stealing baits right off the trap rigs, so we did some bottom fishing with frozen squid for some sheepshead and bass, which were all released.

We moved around front and Avalon was hosting the Bud-Light “Up for Whatever” party. I thought about getting a mooring, then came to my senses. We went to the Frog Rock area and put out the trollers again. We caught some bones and I got a 4 pound calico. Sean got a nice barracuda on a mega bait, again all fish released. Then my troller gets zinged hard. Whatever it was broke off the 25 pound flouro in a hurry, so I switch to a 40 pound rig. Right away I get zinged again and it just won’t stop taking line, so we start chasing it. Turns out to be a large sea lion, so I buttoned down the drag, gave ‘em a few extra hits, and broke him off. Final score for the day: Nature 2, jokers on the Mako My Day 0 (although I think the dog won’t be trying to steal bait for a while).

The next morning we are only able to jig up about a dozen large Spanish mackerel for bait. With all the kelp being gone, bait is really hard to catch right now, even in our best honey holes. We start up toward the Isthmus, and see 4 boats on the hook and watched from a respectful distance as a guy pulled in a nice yellow. Bravo. Since we have only a few baits, anchoring up and chumming is not an option, so we slow trolled outside in deeper water. I got zipped for 8 and 15 pound yellows. Finally we are on a roll! We chat it up with the other boats and everyone is having a good time, catching fish, and all smiles. Water temp was around 66 degrees.

After that, Sean gets another small yellow, which we release. We go over and talk to a few of the anchored boats, and they relay to us their own “run ins” with the Gail Force. I don’t know what that guy’s problem is, but he is in serious need of having his attitude adjusted.

Later that afternoon, we head back to the same spot and most of the boats are gone. We are down to 2 baits when we put out the trollers. This time, Sean gets a serious zing on 30 pound. It turns out to be a 17 pound yellow and he is totally stoked. We moor up at Cherry Cove for some relaxation and victory cocktails for me. In the morning, we tried to make more bait, but no go. So we hit our favorite rockfish spot for 2 nice reds and a chucklehead for tacos. Another glass ride back to the barn topped it off!

Sean with his 17 pound yellow (note the gaff shot right in the cheek!)
    View attachment 594861

Mike with my 15 pound yellow:
    View attachment 594860

Chirp Sonar reading of a sunken sailboat outside Emerald Bay. The structure detail is incredible. Check out the large fish marks to the right of the screen:

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    We were chatting with you at Empire after the Gail Force incident. I didn't know you were that low on bait, we had a bunch of Dines and would have passed you some. We were on the "Sea-Esta" Phoenix 29 with the Blue canvas on the hook.

Thanks for the thought, you have a really nice boat! See you out there soon!

tplass

Almost A Member
    Aug 2, 2012
    HB
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    Yak
    Nice work guys, saw you cleaning up the boat yesterday and was curious how the bite was!! Great report too..