Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
Sep 25, 2008
Renton/ Westport
Name
Cap't Paul
Boat
V-20 Wellcraft w/200HO E-TEC
Not, i catch i keep, if there is a odd number, whoever catchs gets, if they want to split the catch, fine. You catch one and i catch two, you ain't taking one of mine, you probably want the choice of which of my fish you take too....luck with that rule.....

Guess i don't make your cut, fine by me...lmao

FVSerenity

Captain
Feb 27, 2012
The Salt
Name
Rod
Boat
22' Duckworth FVSerenity, 2502 Trophy FVHappyHours
Man do I know that feeling, I just retired this year and have been suffering from the same problem:). My main fish are Hali, lings and primarily tuna:). I fish salmon to kill time ha ha

Corey G

Boat ho extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2010
Tacoma, Wa USA
Name
Corey Guild
Boat
Gravy
Not, i catch i keep, if there is a odd number, whoever catchs gets, if they want to split the catch, fine. You catch one and i catch two, you ain't taking one of mine, you probably want the choice of which of my fish you take too....luck with that rule.....

Guess i don't make your cut, fine by me...lmao
I was thinking the same thing. Lol! Maybe he’ll find someone who just likes to catch them and not eat it? Umm, yeah... Not it. Good luck with your fishing buddy search Kai...

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
Sep 25, 2008
Renton/ Westport
Name
Cap't Paul
Boat
V-20 Wellcraft w/200HO E-TEC
Your boat your rules, hopefully you get some takers. Maybe if you were less concerned about which fish you took home you would have more buddies lining up to fish.
Maybe he can't catch, counting on someone else to catch for him...lol

Reactions: pacificscout

Fireball

Not so New
Jun 23, 2010
Lynnwood, WA. USA
Name
Bud
Boat
SOLD
Sounds like a trip in Hawaii. Pay for the trip ($40.00 to go around the point? should cover fuel for the day) and then you do not get to keep your fish?

Yes you own the boat, maintenance etc.. But if you only catch 1 fish your taking it? But captains rules. No Thanks.

Good Luck

Reactions: Genie Aye

FINATIC 21

MAD SALMON
Jul 20, 2010
Oly, WA
Name
Jay
Boat
27 Raydanie Pilothouse
Sheesh , how bout ya split everything evenly ? , that’s what we do on my ride , if it your first fish of that species or a personal best for the person , I’ll let anyone keep the whole thing .

Good luck Bro , make sure you explain YOUR fish keep rules to whoever you get to go out with you , so here are no butt hurt feelings from the sucker you take o_O

Last edited:

eldplanko

got the skunk off
Jun 18, 2012
Ballard
Name
My other boat is a piece of...
Boat
Floater
Wow, unbelievable amount of hostility! What the hell.

First, I offered to split everything 50/50. What I described was "splitting the baby" scenarios. Since I don't usually fillet the fish on board, I don't know what you think 50/50 means when it comes to odd numbers.

Second, I asked for the person to split costs, especially fuel. A day trolling usually burns 10-20 gallons depending on where I go. I run twin 250 Verados. It ain't a Prius. The $40 was an estimate of that cost. I'm not aware of any charters that charge $40 for a trip. If I only use $40 of gas going to Westpoint, then we split that. If I use $80 going to the oil docks, we split that.

Third, what the hell is YOUR fish. Is the person who actually reels in the fish the owner of the fish? What about the boat driver who is scanning the fish finder and depths. What about the person clearing weeds and shakers? What about the person deciding which flasher/lure combination to use? What about the person who nets the fish? I get it if you're jigging, casting, mooching. But trolling is a team game. IMO, the fish belongs to the boat. And since I'm the one supplying the freaking boat, is it too egregious to call dibs on the catch?

Anyway, I'm done here. I'll keep going with my friends and if I can't find anyone, I got no problems going solo.
Your boat your rules! Good luck!

ledbed6b

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 21, 2010
Shoreline WA
Name
Eli
Boat
Parker 2320
Wow, unbelievable amount of hostility! What the hell.

First, I offered to split everything 50/50. What I described was "splitting the baby" scenarios. Since I don't usually fillet the fish on board, I don't know what you think 50/50 means when it comes to odd numbers.

Second, I asked for the person to split costs, especially fuel. A day trolling usually burns 10-20 gallons depending on where I go. I run twin 250 Verados. It ain't a Prius. The $40 was an estimate of that cost. I'm not aware of any charters that charge $40 for a trip. If I only use $40 of gas going to Westpoint, then we split that. If I use $80 going to the oil docks, we split that.

Third, what the hell is YOUR fish. Is the person who actually reels in the fish the owner of the fish? What about the boat driver who is scanning the fish finder and depths. What about the person clearing weeds and shakers? What about the person deciding which flasher/lure combination to use? What about the person who nets the fish? I get it if you're jigging, casting, mooching. But trolling is a team game. IMO, the fish belongs to the boat. And since I'm the one supplying the freaking boat, is it too egregious to call dibs on the catch?

Anyway, I'm done here. I'll keep going with my friends and if I can't find anyone, I got no problems going solo.
By the way, I was out today solo. Would have been a good day with a buddy. Was only on the water for less than 2 hours. Ended with a double hookup and I had to let one them go since I already had one in the box. I usually get my two pretty quickly. Although I would like to stay out longer, I don't mind coming in early and getting a late breakfast.

View attachment 1065583

You don't need to convince us, your boat your rules!

I operate my boat differently, if we catch 3 fish, I usually will give two or all three to the other person, I fish plenty.

I've also got plenty of people to fish with if I'm not wanting to fish solo.

Congrats on the pink and coho!

sgwill122

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
most of your post was fine, splitting costs is very common and letting folks know what to expect even better. Your policy of getting first dibs is what most of us find odd. Splitting 50/50 would be the way to go, it takes maybe two minutes to filet a salmon. As you probably picked up most of us with boats have plenty of fish so most times we send the larger portion home with the crew, but we all agree your boat your rules. If your trying to enlarge your buddy pool from strangers you might rethink your fish policy.