Offshore Week of Sept 13 - Tanner Bank - What's working lately.

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
Hey Guys,

I've been fortunate to make the LONG RUN to the Tanner several times in the last week.

Fishing for the big bluefin has been off the charts!

Rather than post several reports, here's what's been working for us.

1. Dead flyers. Still the go to bait for most out there. We can't thank G-FLY enough for keeping all of us baited up with these great baits. A buddy brought another brand of bait on the boat the other day and they were soft and mushy. Never again. We have changed up the way we rig them recently and I'm really liking the new rig. Here's a video the team shot with Dan from Pinnacle sportfishing. This is essentially what we are doing:

Why the change? We found that rigging the wings half-open or "delta formation" makes the bait roll back over, right side up much quicker than with the wings fully spread. We have also shortened up our treble hook rig length so there is no "slack" in the treble hook lead. This keeps the bait flying more horizontal rather than hanging up and down.

Little tweaks like this can make a big impact on your catching.

2. CA Flyer - It seems somedays the fish want this thing more than a dead bait - The lure definitely seems to get bit better at 4-5 kts than just hanging off the kite or walking it with the kite reel. I think when it's not moving relatively quickly, the fish smell it and turn off without biting.

3. Leaving the earlier - In years past, these fish really bit better in the late afternoon. For the last month that hasn't been the case. They have been biting all AM with a lull in between tides and then again in the early afternoon. Sundown bites haven't been the rule like they normally are but we did hang one in the dark last trip. I'd try to be on the grounds before 9am if possible. Also less boat traffic.

As always please try to be courteous to others out there. There are more boats fishing that zone than I have ever seen. If you are dragging spreader bars, PLEASE try to stay at least 200 yards from other boats with kites out. I can't tell you how many times we have tried to drop a bait in a breezer school only to have someone run the school over becuase they can't recognize a breezer or dont care.

Try sneaking off to the edges of the fleet (.5 to 5 miles) and you will be rewarded with much less spooky fish and more bites.

Here are some pictures so you guys will think I'm cool. ;)

Good luck out there.

1632175244198.png

1632175283048.png

1632175318464.png

1632175348666.png

1632175395796.png

1632175432551.png

1632175452963.png

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
16' Starcraft SF SS
I have got to get one of these fish... just one that's all I ask!

Upvote 0

GaffnLaff

Rum is Tackle
Dec 3, 2003
Bay Park
Visit site
Name
Dave Cairncross
Boat
Currently looking for a new Ho'ing opportunity
You guys are straight-up killin it!
Thanks for sharing all the intel.

Upvote 0

pldouglas

Mar 29, 2012
Santa Barbara/CA/USA
Name
Jibs
Boat
none
The night bite was the deal for us last week. Knife jigs. Incredible volume and grade of fish, but not sure it’s possible with a skiff. Our skipper dropped us on the big boys, sonar told the story, and we whacked ‘em.

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
I guess that’s cool, if you’re in the that sort of thing. 😂😂😂. Spectacular.

Upvote 0

SMYLEE

3 different fishermen use this account
Mar 9, 2011
San Diego, CA, USA
Name
""
Boat
24'custom
Ali awesome job! I'm going to have to run out with Grant to get one! Can't wait to run that Castigo with its new twin power house's!

I have got to get one of these fish...
just one that's all I ask!
Yes me to! Yet one of my 6 carbortarors are clogged 🤦‍♂️After fueling up double checking my rigs buying more gear and spending to much on getting ready. Turn key andddddd pop. Clogged carbourator. So I've got to know clean all 6🤦‍♂️ The lengths we go! The price we pay..

Upvote 0