Offshore Wednesday Offshore - just missed the party?

NoBalance

Almost A Member
Jul 30, 2016
Orange County
Name
Nick
Boat Name
Invader 183 Fisherman, Etec 115
106nm Run today out of Dana point. On the water at 0500 with the Invader and a buddy to paddy/bluefin hunt with artificials and spears. had a big circle planned for a smoother ride home as we expected more wind than materialized. Probably should have focused on one thing in the plan.

Ran to the top of the 181. clean 72.3 water between the 209 and 312. Ran right between them and saw 1 Dorado jump. Put out the trollers. Purple halco and pink/white bomb style feather. Kept going. Why box the area I just saw fish? That's too easy. Water dropped to 70 at the north end of the 181. ZERO kelp seen. not even a stringer. I know others got some just south on the 312 earlier.

We turned and jammed up to the east end of the Mackerel Bank to be on scene by 0930 for the Slack tide around 1030. Water dropped to 66 on the way, back up to mid 68 at the bank area. Trolled about, found a couple kelps with big mola to hop in on. No good signal seen. I know others got some earlier.

Jamming over to East end of Cat, expecting more wind. Saw two big blow ups in the Catalina basin. Full airborn big bluefin. NOT mola. Boxed the area this time with the Halco and spreader bar. Trolled over to the island then jammed down the slide and across to DP south of the 14 hitting some really nice paddy's on the way. No one home but mola and the standard bits of baitfish. water Back around 71 off the slide area.

Lots of 7kt troll and idling with a diver in the water. 39 gallons, and a lesson to do less. But I had fun, and MY WIFE WANTS TO GO TOMORROW! I can't believe it.

Good luck out there.

Rimack

Old School
  • Jun 24, 2011
    Elk Grove
    Name
    gary
    Boat Name
    Robalo r254 walk
    While you're busy showing your wife how to fish she'll be busy showing you how to catch fish.
    Good work.

Upvote 0
    Jun 10, 2004
    Jamul
    Name
    used to fish
    Boat Name
    17 Aquasport
    I know the pain, all skunks for me this year, puddling BFT that wouldn’t eat and jumping dodos last weekend. Thank God my wife doesn’t want to go and watch me get pissed.lol

Upvote 0

DAS

Dec 23, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    DAS
    Boat Name
    El Segador
    106nm Run today out of Dana point. On the water at 0500 with the Invader and a buddy to paddy/bluefin hunt with artificials and spears. had a big circle planned for a smoother ride home as we expected more wind than materialized. Probably should have focused on one thing in the plan.

Ran to the top of the 181. clean 72.3 water between the 209 and 312. Ran right between them and saw 1 Dorado jump. Put out the trollers. Purple halco and pink/white bomb style feather. Kept going. Why box the area I just saw fish? That's too easy. Water dropped to 70 at the north end of the 181. ZERO kelp seen. not even a stringer. I know others got some just south on the 312 earlier.

We turned and jammed up to the east end of the Mackerel Bank to be on scene by 0930 for the Slack tide around 1030. Water dropped to 66 on the way, back up to mid 68 at the bank area. Trolled about, found a couple kelps with big mola to hop in on. No good signal seen. I know others got some earlier.

Jamming over to East end of Cat, expecting more wind. Saw two big blow ups in the Catalina basin. Full airborn big bluefin. NOT mola. Boxed the area this time with the Halco and spreader bar. Trolled over to the island then jammed down the slide and across to DP south of the 14 hitting some really nice paddy's on the way. No one home but mola and the standard bits of baitfish. water Back around 71 off the slide area.

Lots of 7kt troll and idling with a diver in the water. 39 gallons, and a lesson to do less. But I had fun, and MY WIFE WANTS TO GO TOMORROW! I can't believe it.

Good luck out there.
    That's been my "Ground Hog Day" routine all summer

Reactions: bottomdweller
    Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
    Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat Name
    skiff
    Dang, my plan for tomorrow was 209 312. Maybe I'll stay inside???

Thank you for the info.

Upvote 0

makostorm

Apr 30, 2021
    Dana Point
    Name
    Jim
    Boat Name
    N/A
    I was out yesterday out of dana pt afternoon/evening session 1pm-8pm. Did the 279 -> 277 -> 209 triangle and saw 0 life outside a couple bait balls that didn't seem to have anything near them. Sounds like I was one bank off yesterday from the mahi.

Upvote 0

bob311

Almost A Member
  • Dec 7, 2018
    huntington beach
    Name
    bob
    Boat Name
    23' sanger alleycat, 24 skipjack open
    I was out yesterday out of dana pt afternoon/evening session 1pm-8pm. Did the 279 -> 277 -> 209 triangle and saw 0 life outside a couple bait balls that didn't seem to have anything near them. Sounds like I was one bank off yesterday from the mahi.
    how were the conditions out there? from what i could see from my balcony it was blowing like a MF'r after 4.

Upvote 0

makostorm

Apr 30, 2021
    Dana Point
    Name
    Jim
    Boat Name
    N/A
    Horrible, and I have a Seakeeper on a 32' boat. I had my wipers on almost the whole time. I didn't see another boat out there. Decent, short period swells, whitecaps everywhere made it hard to spot anything.

Upvote 0