Wednesday 9/5 La Jolla and out and in and back...

Gil Marlin

World Peace? Visualize Using Your Turn Indicator
Nov 27, 2003
Laguna Percebu Baja Norte
Name
Scott
Boat
19.655' Aluminum
Quick report from Wednesday... First... the weatherman lied!!! It was supposed to be nice with only 10 knots of wind... Not!!! Second... the water looked like it had diarrhea... Third... there are no fish off San Diego... Thank you for reading...

Upvote 0

Willdoggy

Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Purr-Sea-Stance / Montauk 170
    Quick report from Wednesday... First... the weatherman lied!!! It was supposed to be nice with only 10 knots of wind... Not!!! Second... the water looked like it had diarrhea... Third... there are no fish off San Diego... Thank you for reading...
    Report of the year or at least the month! Thanks Scott.

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
    Apr 28, 2004
    CA.
    Name
    John Collar
    Boat
    Parker 2320

Weatherman suck! Hell I can predict the weather like these schmucks on TV, even if they're certified. As it relates to Mother Nature I try to tread fairly lightly with/on her, but even she can piss me off, and I'll badmouth her if I already have fish on ice.

Reactions: Gil Marlin
    Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
    Apr 24, 2005
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Franks ho
    We trolled the 9 and on, almost to the 425.
    Skipjacks everywhere. Knocked off 12-15.
    Hooked one nice dodo, but came unbuttoned after 30 seconds.
    We did find several patties but nobody home.

The sucked part was, it was rough. I was in the bow casting a jig when I fell. Knee is the size of a mushball and pretty sure I broke a rib.
    Yes scott, they lied.

Upvote 0

Mo Betta

Offshore Prop Changer
    Feb 6, 2003
    El Cajon
    youatplay.com
    Name
    Frank
    Boat
    25' Wellcraft sportsman "Mo Betta", 14' Livingston"Caballito"
    I was out there in my Livingston, you guys must be getting old.....I stayed home today LOL

I caught 6 Calicos and got worked by a YT in 60’ of water on my fly rod. I had that rod bent into the reel seat, never had a chance in that shallow water, but made the ass kicking ride worth it.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    I was out there in my Livingston, you guys must be getting old.....I stayed home today LOL

I caught 6 Calicos and got worked by a YT in 60’ of water on my fly rod. I had that rod bent into the reel seat, never had a chance in that shallow water, but made the ass kicking ride worth it.

Haha I'd pay to watch that YT video LOL

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

Mo Betta

Offshore Prop Changer
    Feb 6, 2003
    El Cajon
    youatplay.com
    Name
    Frank
    Boat
    25' Wellcraft sportsman "Mo Betta", 14' Livingston"Caballito"
    Haha I'd pay to watch that YT video LOL

The unknown fisherman:p:

Totally caught me by surprise. One second I’m stripping the fly in, the next I’m trying not to loose a finger as the line laying on deck is disappearing at warp speed. Those damn tail beats are even better when your holding the line in your fingers. Guess I’ll hook up a GoPro soon

Reactions: ?? fisherman
    Upvote 0

Killerskiff

The end is near
    Jul 5, 2008
    Hootervillle
    Name
    JD
    Boat
    Obliviousone
    Never trust a green light let alone FUBAR NOAA. Windy.com on https://www.windy.com/?33.071,-118.394,8 is usually spot on and always check the wind gust factors and go with that number the day before and the day of because, wind is an enemy! It is said that he worst day of fishing is better than best day of working, yeah right. Can't tell you how many times I'd rather be scrubbing toilets instead of getting beat up at the sea.

Fishing is always hit or miss and that's OK, unfortunately too often so it the weather. Fair weather fishermen get the most bang for the buck even when fishing sucks.

Reactions: Reel_Brew
    Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    I love your enthusiasm, optimistic outlook and dedication! :D

Upvote 0

Gil Marlin

Nov 27, 2003
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    19.655' Aluminum
    We trolled the 9 and on, almost to the 425.

I did check the weather again in the morning and it had changed from 10 to 15 kts. It wasn't bad in the morning or going south, but the ride home from Pt. Loma to the jetty was wild with the swell and 15+ kt wind blowing from the port side. I can't imagine coming home uphill from the 425 in my tin can with those conditions.

I was out there in my Livingston, you guys must be getting old.....
    Yes "We" are Frank... :D

Upvote 0

TYG

Almost A Member
    Oct 13, 2004
    Alpine CA
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    18' Starcraft Mariner
    Glad I wasn’t the only one...we ran 5 miles north of the 178 (wasn’t a fun run in our 18’ tin can) and found a temp break(FD numbers).We boxed the area looking for paddies then decided to troll the temp break running south. Pulled in the lines and zigzagged to the 9 only finding 1 empty paddy. Ran in towards Pt Loma and trolled the kelp north for a super crappy ride, might as well troll when you are getting knocked around. Picked up and relaesed a hand full of calicon on rapalas trolling. Called it a day with about 70 miles of zigzagging.

Upvote 0

OILAGER

Hecho en Estados Unidos
    Apr 27, 2006
    M Class Planet / Riverside
    Name
    Wayne
    Boat
    Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
    As we launched out of Oceanside Wednesday we flipped a coin on whether to head north or south after going straight west looking for paddies, figuring that we could hit La Jolla if we went south, opted for north instead, getting a blind jig strike for a Dodo and one on a flylined sardine that followed him to the boat just north of the 209. That was it. Saw one paddy all day. I was kicking myself for not going south instead, I guess I'll stop now. Yeah, the last weather report the day before did show the wind coming up a little more than what was predicted the preceding 5 days, but we were committed to going, slop and all.

Reactions: Gil Marlin
    Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Dec 3, 2014
    Chula Vista
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Fond Memory
    Well at least you didn't run out of beer, right?

Upvote 0

Gil Marlin

Nov 27, 2003
    Name
    Scott
    Boat
    19.655' Aluminum
    Well at least you didn't run out of beer, right?

That, my friend has never happened!!!:D Jason...we did get a couple of small Calicos at Pt. Loma, but I wanted some of those Dorado that I keep hearing about. I'll be out again next week though and hopefully have a more positive report...

Last edited:
    Upvote 0