fly liner

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
21' crystaliner /15' prowler
Launched out of mission around grey. Rigged with poppers, jigs and 80lb fluoro. Started towards the receiver, and realized that I left my coffee cup in the truck.
not good for me. Fuck it let's go.
Got to the receiver and my buddy can't find his wallet.oh well probably in the truck with my cup.
Got the best half scoop of bait I've had all year maybe 2 rolled all day. But I didn't need it.
104 miles for nada, ran along the border and out to the 182. Circled and zigzaged it seen several Mola and a 60-70lb mako, he left before I could bait him.
Several kelps all dry, but 1 had some 2" baits under it.
Shot back to around the middle of the 9 did a bit of trolling. Went into the Whistler area for a shot at redemption. Nope. I caught 2 tiny honeycomb and a 6"red.

This is when shit went wrong. Buddy caught a big mackerel, and wanted to strip it for bait. Goes to the bow puts his new Talica 16 on a super Seeker in the rod holder. Starts cutting the mack. A swell hits us from the side he stubbled and finishes cutting the bait, turns back and says where is my rod.

Apperently the rail mounted rod holder twisted and down went the rod. We both quickly tie on heavy jigs and start dragging, we didn't snag the rod but we both caught the bottom. I lost a JRI he lost a 130 rigged flat fall. Man 80 fluorocarbon over 80 J braid. No joke strong. I button down my saltist 50 and both of with both thumbs on the spool finally broke it off. My knots held though clean break in the middle of my topshot.

Get back to the dock and some how some honest individual found his wallet and stuck in the driver's door handle of my truck. Nothing missing. Cash ID passport bank cards. All there.

So if you found it and are reading this thank you. You are one of the honest people left.

So we continue. Leaving the lot I realize a have a low trailer tire. No problem find a tiny gas station squeeze my boat in there and get some air. Turned to a side street got turned around after probably 20 minutes and noticed my tire was losing air. Fuck. OK I have a spare.. Losing air quickly I find a busy corner with a red curb and we stop. Spare tire mount is halfway seazed bang on it with a steel stake get the spare unmounted. Get my scissor jack out of truck whick included unscrewing my sub woofer in my truck behind my seat so I could remove the speaker box to get to the jack because my bottle jack that lives in the truck is at the house. Get the spare mounted and away we go. Cleaned the boat wrote this post and it's 10:20. I left hemet around 3:30am. But the boat floats and the engine runs.

fly liner

Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
Ya most definitely a far worse day for him than me. When he said the rod went over. There was a brief moment of silence from me. I had no words. He said something along the lines of. I don't want to be here anymore. OK no problem. Let's roll

Reactions: Cbaldwin

Jaysons999

Internet fisherman
Apr 5, 2015
San marcos
Name
Jay
Boat
16' blue fin "paddy sniffer" 18' Starcraft “Ace of Spades”
Man that sucks! Never ever trust a rail mount rod holder I mean never. Unless of corse it has a screw driven through it. Thanks for posting. Better luck next go around.

pastdue

May 18, 2006
Mira Mesa
Name
Don Cale
Boat
18.5 Larsen cc Pastdue
Man that sucks! Never ever trust a rail mount rod holder I mean never. Unless of corse it has a screw driven through it. Thanks for posting. Better luck next go around.
You need safety chords and all those rods and rod holders

fly liner

Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
You need safety chords and all those rods and rod holders
If the rod is actually in use then yeah I will clip it it was just one of those freak incidences where all the stars aligned perfectly for a horrible situation as far as his Rod going in the water it was not in use at the moment

fly liner

Apr 10, 2009
hemet ca USA
Name
Josh
Boat
Thanks but I think I will pass on that invite next time.
I don't always write a report but I'm on the water almost every weekend, it is not very often that that much shit happens. And you can't let one bad day ruffle your feathers man. I mean people lose gear/gear breaks I had a black diamond break the first day I had it on the boat because somebody grabbed it at the rod tip and snapped into three pieces it's just one of those shithappens types things you have to accept that, when you own a private boat and put a lot of hours on it

MItoCali

Mar 26, 2014
Newport Beach,
Name
Stephen
Boat
Pursuit Express 3000 Bella Mare
any time I keep rods in my bow mounted rail holders I ALWAYS keep a leash on them for that exact reason.

Reactions: KCiuchta

finfan

Aug 2, 2005
San Diego
Name
STEVEN
Boat
32' Blackfin FB
Sorry about all your troubles. You may consider writing a Country Western song. There would be a lot of fans because we've all been their.

Reactions: fly liner

dctrjayyy

Jun 27, 2005
Tustin
Name
Joshua
Boat
whaler
yep, been there done that. seems to always happen when you really need a good day too!

getaway

Aug 22, 2008
jamul
Name
jim
Boat
23 parker, sea venture
any time I keep rods in my bow mounted rail holders I ALWAYS keep a leash on them for that exact reason.
Well, your not going to get rods and reels that way. Same reason I leave my VHF antenna up once in a while - so I can buy a new one!

Reactions: fly liner

Migolito

Apr 25, 2019
SCal
Name
Mike
Boat
None
I've had fishing/sailing boats all my life. When I retired(young), I sold my 28' Glacier Bay (best fishing/diving boat made IMO) intending to buy a 'full time' boat. However, a strange thing happened after I sold my boat....No more stress! No more flat tires, no more bad bait pumps, no more me planning everything, no more 180 gallons of fuel, no more all the shit that goes with owning a boat. I feel your pain. Now, I'm trying the Sport Boat thing...lets see how it goes.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I was waiting for you to tell us about the Red Curb parking ticket you got while changing the tire! Tough day, better ones ahead.

Long Beach Bob

May 13, 2004
Long Beach and points due west
Name
Bob Ballew
Boat
2520 Parker with twin 200 Yamahas
If you took an accurate gps reading on the lost rod, you might be able get a diver to retrieve it, if under 125' depth...might be worth going on Spearboard.com/San Diego to offer a diver a free Coronados trip for a quick retrieve....

Reactions: Migolito