Weather window

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by Dan Salazar, May 9, 2018.

1. Dan Salazar

Dan Salazar Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dan Salazar
    Boat:
    Hammer Time
    So I saw a weather window and look forward to possibly yellowtail fishing on the backside of Catalina. After completing installation of a new autopilot headed midday to the backside to overnight at Cat Harbor. No squid for sale in Avalon. Tried to make squid in the evening on the backside. Metered some stuff but no luck. After a very calm overnight at Cat Harbor went out and looked and trolled for any game fish. Nothing really. Tried several of our go to bottom fishing spots with zero luck. About noon in the vicinity of the Ben Weston area. I was looking at the chart noticing that San Clemente Island was a mere 20 miles away. Checked with my crew (girlfriend and dog) and they both agreed to go for it. Easy Crossing and after getting across work the leeward side for a couple hours. Water was a little warmer and not quite as green more of a turquoise. Still no luck. Got to the bottom of the island and was thinking about desperation Reef. Unfortunately I did not have it marked. As amazing as was had 4G Verizon coverage at the south end of San Clemente Island. Googled it up there it was about 5 miles outside of pyramid Cove. Had two small packs of Frozen squid and had great fun using them. Small tackle with braid line makes it a lot more fun than it used to be. Plan was to overnight in pyramid Cove and then head out in the a.m.. I checked the schedule and the Anchorage opened officially at 8 p.m.
    I thought they won't care if I snuck in a little early. Wrong. I was politely but very deliberately notified that I was in they live ammunition firing area
    They suggested that I could try to Anchor up east of the Cove but I took a good look at the area didn't feel comfortable about the Anchorage.
    7pm I was hoping to get a good hour run in daylight towards Avalon and maybe have an hour, IMG_20180509_154840084.jpg IMG_20180508_114846784.jpg IMG_20180509_154831480.jpg hour-and-a-half night running to get to Avalon. First mileage who was great and then Victory at Sea. 20 knots of wind severe wind waves commers everywhere. This was all in quarter seas in a 21 foot skiff. The autopilot helped a lot made Avalon by 11 soaking wet on a mooring and ready to go to sleep by 11:30. Wednesday morning sun's out weather's beautiful and a leisurely breakfast at Jacks in Avalon. Back in Newport and on the trailer by 12.

2. the SLIDER

the SLIDER https://multimediabylj.com

Name:
    L J
    Boat:
    arima - the SLIDER
  3. halekai

halekai Be nice if you want a mooring.

Name:
    James
    Boat:
    Marlinspike
    Been hearing Clemente blow shit up from the isthmus last couple nights.

4. SRS

SRS Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    CC
    Girlfriend (and dog) are troopers.

5. Rafsyaman

Rafsyaman Newbie

Name:
    Rafael
    Boat:
    Trophy 1802
    Sounds like a blast. I'm planning to spend some overnighters around the islands pretty soon. How do you know which areas are OK to fish around Sci? I'd hate to get fined or something for fishing a restricted area.

6. Dan Salazar

Dan Salazar Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dan Salazar
    Boat:
    Hammer Time
    scisland.org this will give you the Navy's openings and closures at San Clemente Island
    As far as the other dues and don'ts of fishing I recommend hiring an attorney it's gotten too complicated

charliecat likes this.
  7. Rafsyaman

Rafsyaman Newbie

Name:
    Rafael
    Boat:
    Trophy 1802
    LOL I appreciate it. Everyone's gotta learn somehow right. Preferably the least expensive way.

8. dudeman

dudeman Member

Name:
    jason
    Boat:
    Fish Taco
    good boat, good woman, good dog, good life! good fishing comes and goes. nice run for the rockfish.

9. Fisha

Fisha skipper

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    24' sea ray flybridge, 12' w/outboard
    Be sure to check for mlpa

Rafsyaman likes this.
  10. mhanson59hb

mhanson59hb Fear No Fish

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Man, that is quite the adventure! Hairball coming back from Clemente at night. Glad you made it safe!

11. mandoman68

mandoman68 Big Loco

Name:
    Mandoman
    Boat:
    Kathleen