Steveo77

Steveo77
Apr 22, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Grumpy
Launch from Davies around 4:30 AM. Called the carnage and they had squid at the island so We B-lined it to Avalon.

Condition were super flat and there was no wind. Things felt fishy. Passed a lot of kelp patties on the way, and a lot of porpoise. Water temps were 63-64.

The plan was to get candy from the Carnage at Avalon, then hit the back side, anchor up and start the chum line.

Avaraged 24 on the way out there and only saw one other boat out there that early.

Sooooo, that’s the weather report. Below is how my day went;

9 miles from Avalon and Boom. The motor made a noise and died.
Popped off the cowling and see chunks of metal. FML. There’s a hole in the block! The damn motor has less then 200 hours on the powerhead.
So I am hosed for a while. Time to break out the kayak.

VA swooped us up and towed us back.

Also, the Carnage said mid day he was going to head to Nachos. So Nacho might have squid tomorrow if your heading out.

D5C38C85-E3DF-4F84-AA93-C37E1752FDED.jpeg 15CF3E06-C9B6-4FB1-B8A7-4B1C0B69D35E.jpeg 9E98123F-C5B4-4FBF-836D-8F3F63876A57.jpeg

efx

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 21, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Rich
Boat
28 Grady White - Miz Marengo
Oh man. Bummer. Is she under warranty? Mercury? Been there. Check closely to make sure any of the fuel system isn’t damaged. Ive seen powerhead pops cut hoses/ damage filters

Looks like it’s time for new powerhead. We all owe VA a beer.

Reactions: SdFloater

Tunachaser976

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 30, 2017
Long beach, ca
Name
Jerry
Boat
Striper 21
Man! What a rough day. All that work to get the boat out and didn’t get to catch even a sanddab. Patch her up and you’ll be out before you know it.

Reactions: Steveo77

Steveo77

Steveo77
Apr 22, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Grumpy
Oh man. Bummer. Is she under warranty? Mercury? Been there. Check closely to make sure any of the fuel system isn’t damaged. Ive seen powerhead pops cut hoses/ damage filters

Looks like it’s time for new powerhead. We all owe VA a beer.
Should be under warranty. It’s a Johnson, and thanks for the heads up on the fuel lines and stuff

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
JB WELB and it lil be good as new!

karlk1125

Jun 20, 2008
Bodega Bay
Name
Karl Kobler
Boat
2008 World Cat 320 EC twin Mercury v8 300 Verado “Freedom”
Holy crap! That’s brutal man! Thankfully you had a safe ending to your day, good luck with the repairs!

spearodafish

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 24, 2011
So Cal
Name
Jerry
Boat
26' Sea Ray
Ouch! I just used VA for first time ever on my last outing too...impeller thrashed. Glad you made it back ok and hope it's a short term set back.

dktool

2459 Trophy Offshore
Aug 11, 2010
Covina, Ca.
Name
Dean
Boat
1989 Bayliner 2459 Trophy Off Shore
Right of passage - every boater with enough time on the water has pushed a rope.
Rope dues paid.
My personal best push was from Two Harbors to Davies, luckily it was a rare flat afternoon or it would have sucked extra hard.

slydawg

Always wishin' I was fishin'
Jul 14, 2004
Alta Loma/Huntington
Name
Billy
Boat
WWW - 25’ Proline
That sucks Steve. If you are off the water for too long, send me a PM and you can jump on my boat. I'm in Rancho too.

Steveo77

Steveo77
Apr 22, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Grumpy
That sucks Steve. If you are off the water for too long, send me a PM and you can jump on my boat. I'm in Rancho too.
Thanks man. I think the shop is gonna have my boat for a while. The powerhead is under warranty, so the mechanic has to send it back to the shop that he got it from.
I appreciate the offer. As soon as I get back on the water, you are more than welcome to come along with me too

Reactions: slydawg

Eatmorfish

Livin' on borrowed time
Sep 16, 2015
Upland, CA
Name
John
Boat
2018 234 Mako CC
Oh man, that sucks! Lucky you waited to buy squid from Carnage. You can use that $70 to buy some beer to help with your pain.

Steveo77

Steveo77
Apr 22, 2012
Rancho Cucamonga CA
Name
Steve
Boat
Grumpy
Steve, the VRO oil systems on those Johnsons aren't know for being very reliable. Was the VRO still connected or were yyou premixing?
Hmmm. Good info. I didn’t know that. Could be a good possibility.
The powerhead should still be under warranty, so i’ll know when the mechanic tears into it.

Reactions: KID CREOLE

efx

Nov 21, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Rich
Boat
Those are great engines, should be an easy powerhead/ block swap out. I suggest getting a new powerhead that is dressed. Try not to reuse all the secondary components unless the existing parts are in excellent condition. Take time to break it in also. Keep it cool and slow and go. Really watch the vro system. Keep the pile tank clean and all rigging hoses in perfect and clear condition. I miss my ocean pros! Beasts.

efx

Nov 21, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Rich
Boat
Is that water in the cylinder? Looks like detonation on one cylinder. I would get a new powerhead, not just replace parts on that cylinder.

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
Visit site
Name
Stefan
Boat
Mako 224 CC, FULL RACK
So it looks like that one cylinder might have gotten salt water in it and might have rusted a bit. It also looks like the head is exceptionally clean on two of the cylinders, interesting

efx

Nov 21, 2017
Los Angeles
Name
Rich
Boat
The detonation could be from carbon build up. I would say it also could be from a bag or kelp over the cooling water inlets causing overheating and detonation. When I ran two strokes I would use carb x or the omc engine clean. You add it to the gas. It does help.

Last edited: