Wear sun protection

broton

Dec 23, 2004
San Clemente
Name
KC
Boat
23 Cobra Performance
Here’s my scar from a my melanoma surgery (I’ll spare you from the groin scar where a lymph was pulled out to check if it spread). My dermatologist didn’t even think I should have had the mole removed. I wanted it done, and then get the call saying it was malignant melanoma, that’s shitty to hear for sure. Luckily it did not spread, had the dumb mole for almost 20 years and checked multiple times.

Now I see my oncologist every 6 months and get the inspection.

7FF07373-2E5F-447D-A63F-CD4E2597853F.jpeg

• Sad
Reactions: pacificscout
Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
I was born with a hernia. That was removed around age 10.

Upvote 0

kapnd

Almost A Member
Jul 22, 2007
haleiwa Hawaii
Name
don
Boat
ss minnow
I’ve had easily thirty Mohs surgeries, and many hundreds of precancerous lesions frozen.
I still fish, but you’d mistake me for a Taliban when I’m geared up to go!
When I was a kid, they didn’t even make sunscreen, just suntan oil, burning was encouraged.

92EBA110-6986-4F8C-8568-17AFD9A1770E.jpeg

A0B55304-3671-4A28-8A20-1511F9BBE87E.jpeg

447EB00B-8C44-4718-835F-DB45A716DA44.jpeg

664AB322-F313-444A-99A7-10D5D9A428C7.jpeg

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
after 50+ years in construction with a previous 10 years on a ranch, decades of water skiing, and just as many fishing................. all without sunscreen - usually in shorts and no shirt.
I know a few folk who cover up religiously.
the religious folks all have more cancer "spots" than myself.

Like so many medical problems, genetics plays into it. Just cuz you buddy got it doesnt mean that you will get it, too. Get regular 6-month checkups with your dermatologist

squeemis and basil cell? 1 each. doc wanted to scrape them every few months like he did with my mom...... and then eventually cut them out after a coupl;e of years of letting them spread out. so I chose the "cut them out NOW" route. If anyone wants to compare scars, I have this scar a rabbi gave me when I was a couple of days old........................

• Haha
Reactions: pacificscout
Upvote 0

dvader

Nov 1, 2006
Long Beach
Name
Mike Flanigan
Boat
none
I had a small red dot by my left eye that kept bleeding. I went to the dermatologist and 40 stiches later they had removed a quarter sized area from under my eye that took a plastic surgeon they called in to close up the hole. Been steady customer of my doctor ever since. The one thing that I always remember is the smell when they were cauterizing the area. Skin cancers are nothing to fool with.

Reactions: Tail Chaser
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
SF bay area
Name
Charlie Machalowski
Boat
1987 Boston Whaler Montauk
Just yesterday I went to the dermatologist after being referred by my primary doctor. I had a couple of red spots on my face a whitish bump on my lower eyelid. Five minutes later he used liquid nitrogen to freeze the red spots and cut the bump out for a biopsy. I generally use sunscreen, now it gonna aways use sunscreen.

Upvote 0

fyermn

Sep 2, 2005
Utah
Name
Dan
Boat
LONG RANGE fishing
This post should be shown to the Deck Hands of the fishing boats. Most of them are without shirts, and really don't know what may happen to them. They are on the water consonantly.

Upvote 0

michael e. bingham

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 26, 2015
Name
Pura Vida
Boat
Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
I had a spot on my back that was cut out 2 years ago December 10 and sent to the lab , I got a call 4 days later from my doctor telling me to come to the office ASAP , 2 hours later I was told it was Melanoma and December 16 th I had surgery on my back which was a 10 slice across my back down to the muscle and the cancer was removed , than they removed the Lymph nodes from my groin area , I didn`t find out if the nodes were clean until January 2nd which seemed like forever , 1st week after surgery I got a infection in my groin area so back in the hospital for a few days , went home for 2 weeks and got a infection in my back and back in the hospital again, they sent me home after a few days after putting a drain in my back and a nurse came to my house every other day to drain my back , this. Went on for a month and it finally cleared up , I go to my skin doctor every 3 months for check ups and my Onacoglist every 6 months , skin cancer is no Joke so cover up as much as possible , I won`t be given a clean bill of health for 5 years

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Ugh well glad you are removing it. And have the means to do so. Speedy recovery and get that eye lid

I was just thinking to myself. While wearing seeing glasses (should had taken better care of my eyes). Now when fishing in the rain. I wear my dark lens sports sunglasses. Even with all the water on the lenses and dark lenses. I can see clearer with them on in the rain

Can't wear them surfing

Upvote 0

Tail Chaser

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 31, 2004
Claremont
Name
Ryan
Boat
Hobie Outback
This stuff is just a little reality...

We all looked good as kids!

But we all needed to listen to that old man in the corner too..
BEND YOUR KNEES, cover up, wear sunglasses, wear a hat, eat healthy, walk... ETC...

• Love
Reactions: ZZZZZ
Upvote 0