Weak wrist position . . . and other common mistakes?

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    I am happy getting 6 strokes on a par 3 pitch and putt myself. The trip is not about the fish cause I do not eat fish. I lost a nice one to a pulled hook on last trip and all I can say is it saved me the processing fee, but I really enjoyed the match I had with him. So for me it was fun.

Reactions: Fishybuzz
    Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    Yeah, but, In all fairness there are lots of guys who can’t break 90 trying to play like a plus 3....

That is a weird I know you are speaking english but have no idea what you said.....must have some thing to do with hitting that little ball into a little hole wearing white shoes and polyester slacks....LOL

Upvote 0

Brass_Slacks

Oct 30, 2014
    Name
    Hank
    Boat
    Public
    R
    That is a weird I know you are speaking english but have no idea what you said.....must have some thing to do with hitting that little ball into a little hole wearing white shoes and polyester slacks....LOL
    in golf the shittier a golfer you are the higher your handicap is. A guy who can’t break 90 is the same as the dude losing jigs in the rocks and pulling on the bottom like it’s pulling back.
    A plus 3 golfer is someone taking a serious run at the tour.

Reactions: Fishybuzz
    Upvote 0

Brass_Slacks

Oct 30, 2014
    Name
    Hank
    Boat
    Public
    I used to fish a 6480 with a 4/0 tiburon Framed 113 senator for throwing wahoo bombs etc.. I had West Coast tackle put a gimbal on it when they built it. I landed several Teenager YFT (120-150 lb.) on 50lb on that rig at clarion, ended up using my harness and plate. Remember those? Friken Tuna would eat the bomb. Having Wire certainly helped the chew thru.
    It can get the job done by I'm way to old for that shit now.
    Swing some big hangdown and bust out that 4/0 on your next trip.

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    I don’t think any of us has a goal of getting our ass kicked.

But if that’s your goal, have at it, good luck.

Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0

SCHeadhunter

May 22, 2006
    san clemente
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    Sold to the man with $$$
    Swing some big hangdown and bust out that 4/0 on your next trip.
    I still have that rig. Just might have to go old school. Maybe even put on the Tanaguchi harness and plate.
    People would say WTF is that? It's like the first time my kids saw a LP record. Came home from school and said the teacher played a giant black CD.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    I don't have allot of big fish experience like many others here. But imo its more lethal that the angler wears the pants and not the fish. Under gunned or over gunned

Upvote 0

Olddog8

May 13, 2012
    Poway,ca
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Sold long ago
    Regarding rod angle, I was very surprised to watch Captain Art on the Searcher basically point the rod directly at a big YF at the Lupe last year. The fish was well out from the boat. He just pointed it at the fish and cranked when he could get a turn or two, and walked from the stern up to the bow following the fish. I asked one of the deckhands about that, and he said "That's old -school." Anybody else seen this method?

I think this is more new school than old school. Years ago I used to always fish with a big bend in the rod, now I Point the rod at the fish when they are away from the boat unless I'm low on line and need to add a little extra to stop the fish (210lb, long soak, a MAK16, and 4 or 5 lines around mine). These new reels are engineering marvels and can handle the abuse better than I can trying to but a big bend in the rod with high drag pressure. It's a different story when the fish is straight up and down, then you want to bend that rod like it's never been bent before.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Kind of a blend of what Rick said about pointing the rod at the fish away from the boat. cause if the fish is on a run I always get the rod vertical by on the knees, rod butt on deck and using the rail to brace for big fish The very moment line stops coming off the reel it is really important to do this... I get up and point the rod at the fish and lean forward to get a crank, then lean back to pull on the fish, and lean forward for another crank. Like short pumping the fish but you do it transferring weight forward and back. The point is when he changes direction you need to control the pointy end from making the decision go away from the boat. He is testing his moves on you cause he has never been hooked before.

Pretty much a transition phase and like said if the line is not going off your reel you better find a way to get line on the reel. When the fish is sideways to the boat I call it rock-a-dope... (rope-a-dope)

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Not a big fan of pointing the rod at the fish to gain back line, like 100’s of yards that are in the water because of a really long run by a spirited fish or when on the kite. I use a small rod belt for this, working the rod from straight out to straight up, pulling with both arms on the fore grip and of course reeling in high gear as I go from up to out. Using low in this case takes way too long for me. Especially when there are lots of aggressive sharks swimming around.

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    Not a big fan of pointing the rod at the fish to gain back line, like 100’s of yards that are in the water because of a really long run by a spirited fish or when on the kite. I use a small rod belt for this, working the rod from straight out to straight up, pulling with both arms on the fore grip and of course reeling in high gear as I go from up to out. Using low in this case takes way too long for me. Especially when there are lots of aggressive sharks swimming around.

Sometimes slower ie. "low gear" is faster.....I subscribe to BilW's style more.

IMO the method you describe would burn me out especially if you intend on pumping that fish in 300 yards ....

Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
    Jan 2, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Sometimes slower ie. "low gear" is faster.....I subscribe to BilW's style more.

IMO the method you describe would burn me out especially if you intend on pumping that fish in 300 yards ....
    Whatever floats your boat. :) Speaking of your boat, did they splash the Intrepid yet?
    Sure a lot of work they did on her. Major renovation! Hats off to Bill and the entire crew.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
    Mar 27, 2013
    Alaska
    Name
    JAM
    Boat
    Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
    Whatever floats your boat. :) Speaking of your boat, did they splash the Intrepid yet? Sure a lot of work they did on her.

Final Stages
    6-29-2018
    Steve Hoffman
    Hi Gang,
    Its been a long couple months of getting to the final stages of our retrofit. We fueled the boat with 7500 gallons of diesel fuel while still on blocks in the yard so that we had operating weight on the boat to ensure the final alignment on our main engines when we went back in the water, We went in the water on Tuesday of this week and everything went perfect. We had final alignment on our engines yesterday morning to make sure the boat was settled to its resting attitude with fuel in our tanks and water in our slammers. The final hook ups on engines are just about complete and we will be doing sea trials soon. We had our 5 year USCG top side inspection yesterday morning and it went amazingly smooth. Our final USCG inspections before operation will take place during sea trials. Our crew has worked long hours and sacrificed to get our boat were it is now. We have redesigned and fixed almost every vital system in our engine room. The new engines look sexy and I am super excited for sea trials. In a lot of regards, we will have a new boat when this retrofit is complete. We are almost there. I will have final pictures of this project up on our sight next week. This has been a very detailed, complex, difficult, much needed set of improvements that will make our boat that much better. Thank you for checking in, Captain Bill Cavanaugh and the Intrepid Team

Upvote 0

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
    Jul 27, 2009
    Seattle, Wa
    Name
    Jeff Nelson
    Boat
    255 BW Conquest “Double Header”
    I don’t know what a weak wrist position is, sorry.

I occasionally see anglers raise the rod tip to lift the fish and as they start to drop it back, start winding too late, essentially giving back some hard earned line.

I have a buddy that does this every single time he cranks and he just does not understand what I am telling him. I need to take a video.

Reactions: Olddog8
    Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Nothing better in my book than to have the latest greatest engines, especially on that fancy boat. I am sure Bill C. Is thrilled... curious about the speed and fuel savings.

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
    Apr 4, 2003
    Tucson
    Visit site
    Name
    David Tang
    Boat
    Intrepid
    Whatever floats your boat. :) Speaking of your boat, did they splash the Intrepid yet?
    Sure a lot of work they did on her. Major renovation! Hats off to Bill and the entire crew.

Not float my boat but save my arms..... lol gotta work with what you have and I ain't got what I used to.....;)

Last edited:
    Reactions: Steve K
    Upvote 0

fishstomp

Picaroon
    Aug 11, 2008
    ɐsn ɐɔ 'pןǝıɟsɹǝʞɐq
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    18' Seaswirl
    Is this the correct wrist form for spinners?

image1.JPG

Upvote 0

Latest posts