Weak wrist position . . . and other common mistakes?

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
Bartlett, IL
Name
Greg
Boat
Looking for a new one
Less than 3 months until my trip and I'm psyching myself up by watching LR trips on youtube. I've started to notice one thing in particular . . . there are lots of anglers who fight fish with an extremely weak wrist position . . . rod tip too low . . . giving total leverage to the fish. This even happens with anglers who otherwise seem like they know what they're doing. I've probably done this myself at times but it seems so obvious when I watch the videos.

Just curious . . . what do y'all notice most when it comes to mistakes? Including, perhaps, stuff that almost everyone does.

Update: based on some of the comments below, I'm editing the OP by adding the following:

What I have in mind is things that make the fish-fighting job harder than it should be. I've gotten some very helpful advice over the past few years re body mechanics and technique but I don't always remember it in the heat of the battle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I don’t know what a weak wrist position is, sorry.

I occasionally see anglers raise the rod tip to lift the fish and as they start to drop it back, start winding too late, essentially giving back some hard earned line.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    And why does the rod tip low give the fish total leverage? What is a weak wrist position? Maybe what you call a mistake is not. Frank LoPreste once wrote an article that said the most efficient pull on a fish is between 30 and 45 degrees from pointing at the fish.

Reactions: HAMBONES
    Upvote 0

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
    Bartlett, IL
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Looking for a new one
    Re weak wrist position, a long time ago I used to be able to beat guys who were much stronger than me at arm wrestling. A big key is strong wrist position. The weakest position is with your hand curled all the way away from your body. Much stronger to curl your wrist inward. Watching some of the youtube videos makes me realize that I haven't always applied this to my own fishing.

Upvote 0

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
    Bartlett, IL
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Looking for a new one
    And why does the rod tip low give the fish total leverage? What is a weak wrist position? Maybe what you call a mistake is not. Frank LoPreste once wrote an article that said the most efficient pull on a fish is between 30 and 45 degrees from pointing at the fish.
    Maybe I am completely wrong. Certainly possible and Frank LoP knows a million times more about fishing than I do. All I can tell you is that I have tried the lower position and above 45 degrees is much easier for me. I've also read articles and spoken to experts who say above 45 degrees is better. But maybe there's something I don't understand about how to do 30-45.

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
    May 31, 2003
    not a spoiled bitch from san diego
    Name
    bill
    Boat
    I hate boats
    what do y'all notice most when it comes to mistakes?

my worst mistake?
    worrying about making - what other folk would perceive as - mistakes.

BTW: some folk have arthritis/physical disabilities that affect what they can and what they cant do with their wrists. ;)

Upvote 0

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
    Bartlett, IL
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Looking for a new one
    Sorry if using the term "mistakes" was too critical/harsh/judgmental. I didn't mean it that way at all. Mostly, I meant it as self-critical . . . I watch the videos with an eye toward mentally preparing and refining my own technique so that I'm as prepared as possible when the time comes. Maybe that's a bit OCD but I get only 8 days per year on the water and I want to make the most of them!!!

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    I've also read articles and spoken to experts who say above 45 degrees is better.

You have spoken to experts? Just realize those anglers that seem like they know what they are doing.... The physics of the rod lift. Maybe they have more experience than you think...

Reactions: $norkle
    Upvote 0

Brass_Slacks

Oct 30, 2014
    Name
    Hank
    Boat
    Public
    Re weak wrist position, a long time ago I used to be able to beat guys who were much stronger than me at arm wrestling. A big key is strong wrist position. The weakest position is with your hand curled all the way away from your body. Much stronger to curl your wrist inward. Watching some of the youtube videos makes me realize that I haven't always applied this to my own fishing.
    Arm wrestling and pulling on a loaded up rod are very very different movements.
    But I hear you, I see lots of guys looking like a monkey fucking a football trying to pull on fish.

Upvote 0

freegaff2

Aug 31, 2014
    Name
    Craig Simcox
    Boat
    none
    wahoo fishing with bombs or raiders, I keep the rod in that 30/45 zone angle, but never lift and then wind...just steady on the wind. Don't want to give the fish that opportunity to start shaking it's head, with that bomb or jig out there as a fulcrum to tear the hook out. And as Wils said...age, arthritis, torn rotator cuff...getting old ain't for sissies :D

Upvote 0

mackereljoe

Apr 1, 2007
    Long Beach
    Name
    Joey
    Boat
    None
    It’s hard for me to follow guys with Popeyes forearms and Frank Lo’s arms have the muscles to pull. Can you please show me the weak wrist position? I’m probably doing it. I also pull on the reel handle a lot to compensate for my weakness.

Reactions: FishAcquisition
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    No worries but in regards to weak wrist positioning.

A weak wrist position could be when the deckhand has to hold and keep the rod steady (prevent reel wobble) on the rail for the angler and pull line onto the reel between the first guide and spool. Not uncommon. I remember a spirited 170lb kicked my ass in the bow. First fish of the trip for me. Early morning lots of dew on the slippery rail. The cold shrink kept slipping down the rail at the end game. I was having a hard time holding the fish. Part of the problem was I was using weak wrists

Obviously it takes more then just the wrist and fingers to fight a big fish. Like applying armpit pressure (up and down deep) and rib pressure (end game tightening circles) while using the rail. I can see the weak wrist positioning thing.

Rod goes under my left arm so I can leen into the rod with my ribs and tighten circles without the fish breaking the circle. Most fish seem to be landed on the port side bow or the two corners. I prefer the port bow killing station on the drift and the 2 corners on the anchor

And yes some do have medical conditions which sets thier limits. I hope I'm out there when I'm 90

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

FishAcquisition

Pithy Statement to make me appear 😎
    Sep 19, 2005
    La Quinta
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Only Aspirations-not the name of my boat-just have aspirations
    I think there maybe in this a good point. When you lower the rod “rail roding” you lose the lever and safety of the rod as both fulcrum and shock absorber.

I think some here need to go fishing, a bit surly.

Upvote 0

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
    Bartlett, IL
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Looking for a new one
    It’s hard for me to follow guys with Popeyes forearms and Frank Lo’s arms have the muscles to pull. Can you please show me the weak wrist position? I’m probably doing it. I also pull on the reel handle a lot to compensate for my weakness.
    The only thing I can say is what works for me . . . I'm on the shallow end of the knowledge pool when it comes to most of this stuff. A while back, someone I greatly respect showed me a bunch of techniques for using leverage/body position/rod position to make things much easier on my rapidly aging body. They work for me and this got me to thinking about all of my body mechanics. The strong wrist thing is something that I've only noticed recently and maybe I'm completely wrong about it . . . or maybe it's something that works for me but may not work as well for others. I don't have a picture but if your interested, send me a PM and I'll send you a link to a video the next time I run across this.

Reactions: mackereljoe
    Upvote 0

HAMBONES

May 28, 2013
    Santa Cruz Ca
    Name
    Jason Hammond
    Boat
    Royal Star
    That’s how is was taught to kill fish fast

Reactions: Bill W
    Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
    May 31, 2003
    not a spoiled bitch from san diego
    Name
    bill
    Boat
    I hate boats
    And as Wils said....getting old ain't for sissies :D

Hey, now. I have "a friend" who resembles that remark. :puff:

Back to the OP: I would suggest working on your lower back exercises. That's gonna go away long before your wrist. I know a few guys who the rest of us consider "experts": aerobics classes. daily if possible

Upvote 0

Fincutter

Oct 3, 2016
    Bartlett, IL
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    Looking for a new one
    Hey, now. I have "a friend" who resembles that remark. :puff:

Back to the OP: I would suggest working on your lower back exercises. That's gonna go away long before your wrist. I know a few guys who the rest of us consider "experts": aerobics classes. daily if possible

Agree x a million. After suffering with back pain for my entire 8 day trip last year, I've been working hard with a good trainer and chiropractor to make sure it doesn't happen this year.

Reactions: wils
    Upvote 0

esgeo

over 40 victim of fate
    Feb 12, 2015
    Tulsa, OK
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Feelfree Lure 11.5
    I find the rod position I use varies by how it loads up. On a glass rod like 270h-8, I tend to fish the rod higher than I do with a faster action rod like 700h. So I tend to have a weaker wrist position with the faster action rods and rely more on my armpit or the rail. But to me the position I end up in is the one that I feel I can maintain the most constant pressure on the fish. On bigger fish I prefer to replace my wrist with the rail.

Upvote 0

Bill W

tunaholic
  • Jan 12, 2006
    Chino Hills, Ca.
    Name
    Bill Walsh
    Boat
    Red Rooster
    Well 200# line with 38-50# drag is different than your 8 day trip fish. Normally using 50# I rarely use the rail and use my forearm laid on the reel sideplate to steady the reel. But i still know the easiest way to win if it is a long fight.

Upvote 0

strackle99

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Mar 20, 2008
    Villa Lepro, Baja
    Name
    Todd
    Boat
    The one on the fish
    For longer battles, it is about efficiency of motion, and conservation of energy.

If you sit behind a desk, practice holding a rod, and reeling under load.

Sportfishing puts a lot of stress on small muscles.

Upvote 0