Islands We tried

John Stidman

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 29, 2018
Baketsfield ca
Name
John Stidman
Boat Name
26ft seaswirl striper,24 ft trophy walkaround,24ft glasply flybridge.
Hiwdyvall, we launched saturday Huntington Harbor about 6am. Ran out towards the 14 and dropped in the madmacs. Worked our way towards the 277. Lots boats boats out there all over ea other. We stayed away to the outside around them. No luck, just a bunch chatter on radio about running over ea other lines. So we worked back in towards Farnsworth. At about 3 miles from Catalina. Between avalon and Farnsworth we saw our first fismers. Trolled around the outside and cut back to bring the madmacs through them. They stayed up long enough to turn around and run again. Nothing they dropped out. Shot from there out to mackerel Bank. Didn't see much til about 5pm. Then couple small foamers came up. Tried poppers, snipers, surface irons for nada. Then About 30 mins later we saw a huge football field size come rt at us. We killed the motor and let them come. They was jumping as close as 20ft. We tried everything we could for the 10 mins they stayed up. But they just foamed rt through us. Remember I'm just learning. Lol. Anyways they dropped when we fired up tobtry and get back around in front again. Came back in. Slept in avlon on boat. Made about 3 Spanish macks waiting in the long line to fuel up. $7.02 gal gas. Trolled around front side in 70 and 71 degree water. No luck. Worked ourcway to west end. Got out about few miles to the canyon ridge and decided to take lunch and drift a live Mac. Flyline. Put on 40lb floro leader with I believe 1/0 hook. Mustad ringed circle. Was about 30 mins later my spool was peeling. Fathom 40nld2 on okuma PCH-C741xxh with 80lb braid. Maybe 100. Cant remember. After about 6 secs I flipped the lever drank on. About pulled rod out my hands and almost pulled me over the rail. It was a heavy fish. Sat down and just held on. Tug of war. After about 15 mins of it showing me who was boss I tightened the drag so I didn't loose all my line. I set strike at 25lbs according to you tube vids and research here. Using a spring scale. After a few mins of tighter drag. It broke my knot at the hook had about 1/4 in squiggly line crinkled. Not clean cut or break. Only hook up fir us. We tried. I ran 2 mad macs, different sizes znd colors. Switched to one here and there for maneuver. Trolled from 13 mph to 14mph. Some times down to 10 and back up to 16. I'll be getting my revenge nxt wk end. It felt gd to tug on that dude. My elbows and shoulder and forearms are lil sore. Lol. Any advice appreciated and gd or bad.

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    My advice: Don't fish weekends! :D

Hey, at least you hooked up and got to go fishing! Avalon is always beautiful!

woodfish330

I'm to smart to figure out how to edit this.
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat Name
    Fishead
    Brother.... all your efforts.... and gas.... and wielding the binos... and all that traveling... your cost...a "Curly Q"!!

My point being....ALL OF IT IS FOR NOTHING....if you keep accepting "questionable" knots. Nuff said. Take the extra time.... as it saves considerable money $$$$ and heartbreak. Thanks for posting.... and Good luck.

ShadowX

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Anonymous
    Boat Name
    None
    Before you tighten up drags as a last resort, try to reverse the boat to gain more line if you can. Never touch that damn drag unless your life depends on it. More fish were lost because of people fiddling with the drags while they are fighting the fish.

If you pay enough dues, you will eventually get one. Best way is to keep an eye on reports and on a drop of a dime, head out the next day when the fishing is good. If you waited until you have time, chances are you will be skunked when there are lots of boats around, especially on the weekends.

In terms of fishing knots for the hooks, learn the Trilene knot. Its the best knot for mono/fluoro up to around 60lbs. Its the only knot that is 100% line strength. All the other knots I tested break at 80-95% of line strength. Learn to tie that knot well, and you won't have the same issues again. The key is cinching it down properly and TESTING the knot afterwards. You have to put the hook on an eye or somewhere rigid and pull HARD! Pull until you know your drag is set much higher than you can pull. Don't even be shy about it. Pull!!!! Pull!!!! Its better to break while its on the boat than when you have a fish on. If it breaks, you get to retie the knot and try again. PULL! I tied knots that I thought were good and as soon as I do a hard pull it hard, it breaks. Even small errors or differences in the knot is enough to break a knot and you don't know if the knot is good or bad until you do a good pull test. Just remember to do that every time you tie a knot.

Last edited:

the SLIDER

https://multimediabylj.com
    Jun 11, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    L J
    Boat Name
    arima - the SLIDER
    Never F with your drags when fighting a fish unless your almost spooled. If you get a pause in the fight sometimes I will give a pull to double check to tension. As the fight goes on and it gets closer to the boat I have backed off the drag, especially if in rough water.

Open water fish on a PB should run to get tired, So play them, in the end it will be easier on you. I hate bringing up hot one at gaff as well.

Curly Q = you F-ed up.

Last edited:

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
    Baketsfield ca
    Name
    John Stidman
    Boat Name
    It was a San Diego jam knot. Only knot I use tying hooks and jigs ect. I've hung up on my rockfish jigs with jigmaster 500 combo and Andy Green 25lb line and can't ever get them to break. Not sure if it bit at the knot or of the line wasn't strong enough. It felt like I was hung up and was very heavy fish. Either way yeah, it sucked but I really enjoy just being out there trying. Getting a fish would be 100% better. Thanks all. I'm gonna take my sister and her kids , to Catalina to spend the day on island. Troll out there and back. Next Sat if weather is decent. Then refuel and go back out and fish Sunday again. This time I'm gonna load my bait tank up with those little Spanish macs. And maybe sone live sardines. I kinda like that slow trolling a flyline way back. Just put in gear and let put. I trolled those madmacs all day. Over $800 In fuel. No luck. Checking lines about every 30 mins for grass, kelp ect. Thank u all.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Anonymous
    Boat Name
    None
    It was a San Diego jam knot. Only knot I use tying hooks and jigs ect. I've hung up on my rockfish jigs with jigmaster 500 combo and Andy Green 25lb line and can't ever get them to break. Not sure if it bit at the knot or of the line wasn't strong enough. It felt like I was hung up and was very heavy fish. Either way yeah, it sucked but I really enjoy just being out there trying. Getting a fish would be 100% better. Thanks all. I'm gonna take my sister and her kids , to Catalina to spend the day on island. Troll out there and back. Next Sat if weather is decent. Then refuel and go back out and fish Sunday again. This time I'm gonna load my bait tank up with those little Spanish macs. And maybe sone live sardines. I kinda like that slow trolling a flyline way back. Just put in gear and let put. I trolled those madmacs all day. Over $800 In fuel. No luck. Checking lines about every 30 mins for grass, kelp ect. Thank u all.

Its good to check the lines for grass, kelp etc. The way I do it is I watch the tip of the trolling rod from time to time. You can see a difference in the vibration on the rod tip when something gets hung up on the hooks. You can also put your hands on the rod and get an idea of what a normal vibration feels like. We ran through schools of bait and actually snagged a few anchovies one time. That rod tip did not act right after that and it was obvious.

The worse part about trolling at 12-15 mph is that most boats get crappy fuel mileage. Its just the nature of the beast.

The best way is to develop a network of close guys and sharing info. We have friends that go out on Wednesdays, Thursdays, etc. They often report the good and bad areas and we let them know when we go out on which areas are producing or not. One of my buddies even know a guy working on a tuna seiner. You would be surprised at the good info they get all the time from spotting planes. A few weeks ago, they got reports of giant schools of tuna just a few miles from Long Beach that was wrapped up like a burrito in a few hours. Too bad I was working or we would have hauled butt out there before the seiners got there.

Reactions: John Stidman

swami 805

Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat Name
    sunk it
    Hat’s off to you for putting in the time and effort, it will pay off, just keep at it. Feel all the sweeter when you do

arik lerner

Aug 29, 2009
    san diego ca usa
    Name
    arik
    Boat Name
    topcat 42 thermadine
    People say don’t play with the drag on a hooked fish( bluefin) that is

I remember at the 60 mile bank in the 70s up and down waves on the bow that is where I first learned to play with the “ star drags” on 25 lb albacore. It keeps the hole small and does not Bore out

No different that a 150 lb Blue fin. The more “ torque” the bigger the (tear hole) in the mouth unless perfect on the jaw

This allows them to spit the hook when slack even though we all know to real in the slack

Worked for me last month 2 Ahi

Deadlift500

• Jan 12, 2022
    USA
    Name
    d
    Boat Name
    kayak
    Before you tighten up drags as a last resort, try to reverse the boat to gain more line if you can. Never touch that damn drag unless your life depends on it. More fish were lost because of people fiddling with the drags while they are fighting the fish.

If you pay enough dues, you will eventually get one. Best way is to keep an eye on reports and on a drop of a dime, head out the next day when the fishing is good. If you waited until you have time, chances are you will be skunked when there are lots of boats around, especially on the weekends.

In terms of fishing knots for the hooks, learn the Trilene knot. Its the best knot for mono/fluoro up to around 60lbs. Its the only knot that is 100% line strength. All the other knots I tested break at 80-95% of line strength. Learn to tie that knot well, and you won't have the same issues again. The key is cinching it down properly and TESTING the knot afterwards. You have to put the hook on an eye or somewhere rigid and pull HARD! Pull until you know your drag is set much higher than you can pull. Don't even be shy about it. Pull!!!! Pull!!!! Its better to break while its on the boat than when you have a fish on. If it breaks, you get to retie the knot and try again. PULL! I tied knots that I thought were good and as soon as I do a hard pull it hard, it breaks. Even small errors or differences in the knot is enough to break a knot and you don't know if the knot is good or bad until you do a good pull test. Just remember to do that every time you tie a knot.
    Great point about testing the knot.

I thought it was weird how the other guys on the last fishing trip I went fishing k gave me funny looks when I’d test my knots by putting my heavy knife jig hooks in the trolling harness clips and then walk backwards with the drag at 100% until line started to slip, but I wanted to be certain my $50 custom rigged lure wasn’t going to be lost to a bad knot.

Also consider the Palomar knot, properly tied with mono it has greater than 100% line strength.

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Anonymous
    Boat Name
    None
    Great point about testing the knot.

I thought it was weird how the other guys on the last fishing trip I went fishing k gave me funny looks when I’d test my knots by putting my heavy knife jig hooks in the trolling harness clips and then walk backwards with the drag at 100% until line started to slip, but I wanted to be certain my $50 custom rigged lure wasn’t going to be lost to a bad knot.

Also consider the Palomar knot, properly tied with mono it has greater than 100% line strength.

I agree with the testing of the knot. The only thing I disagree is with the strength of the Palomar knot. At best I got around 90-95% breaking strength with the Palomar knot on my motorized electronic tester. Its a great knot and is relatively strong when tied properly, but its no where near 100%. In fact, even with over 40 samples, all the line breaks were on the knot. The other problem with the knot is that one side has to be open like a hook. If you have to tie two of the same knots on a swivel, you can't do it because you can loop the end over the swivel when its tied to the main line on the other side.

On the other hand, the Trilene knot was the only one that was 100%. At the end of the tests, the last 10 knots, about 7 of them broke at 100% line strength. I got better at tying the knot and figured out how to cinch it properly to get most of the knots to break at 100% near the end of the testing. Even when it broke at less than 100%, it was at a respectable 90% line strength or better.

The Trilene knot is easy to tie and is very strong. Its my preferred knot unless there is a better one that I find later. Its a little harder to tie with thicker lines, but that goes for most other knots too.

CI_SeaWolf

• Feb 13, 2006
    Camarillo, CA
    Name
    Tom Farrell
    Boat Name
    Wellcraft 22' W/A
    John, sorry to hear that you broke off. I have had my share of break offs early this season and had some success later with some bigger fish. 1. Use fresh top shots, I use a 50’ top shot on my 100, 60, and 50 lb outfits. I replace that before every trip. 2. Set drags with scale. I like about 27 lbs of drag on my 100 lb outfit, I got a 175 on 30 lbs of drag and it was very tight. 3. Take your time tying your knots. Make sure they pull up nice and even, wet the line before going tight, inspect for good symmetrical look. 4. Use knots that work. I like the SD jam, I use the single version on anything above 50 for the connection at the hook, jig, swivel, etc. I also like the triple surgeon for mono top shot to flourcarbon trace, and did use it to join 200 lb mono bite leader to 100 lb mono top shot with success my last trip. 5. Test your knots, I use those magnetic knot pullers that you get at the landing etc., pull on the heavy line pretty hard to set and lock your knot. 6. A repeat of an item in #3, wet your line when tying your knots it minimizes friction and heat and helps fair the knot.

Best of luck!

John Stidman

Apr 29, 2018
    Baketsfield ca
    Name
    John Stidman
    Boat Name
    Man, this is awesone all the help and advice. I'm not disappointed. It sucked but the feel of a big fish pulling on my new fathom 40nld2 and okuma PCH-C741xxh combo was nice. That rod and reel felt gd under pressure. I'm gonna learn some of these knots, take all the advice I've been givin and hit it again. I get about 1.5 mpg trolling at that speed. Pushing against the swells ect. At 30 mph out there it goes fro. 2.1 mpg to 1.9 back and forth. At 10mph easing it I get the 2.1. I actually put alot miles out this wk end. I tried the 499 and everywhere. Lol.

IMG_9951.jpg

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Anonymous
    Boat Name
    None
    Are you planning to head out again this week or weekend for fish? We might head out this Friday.

Your fuel efficiency sounds about normal for a boat of that size. It seems like you hit all the right spots where it would hold fish. It could have been much worse. One of the guys we met had water get into his boat and swamped the inboard engines. The water damaged the tilt trim motor relay or wiring. Luckily, I help him do a bush fix and he was able to get the boat back into the trailer.

Last edited:

Carpy1

Apr 16, 2021
    SoCal
    Name
    Andrew
    Boat Name
    Carolina Classic 28
    Hiwdyvall, we launched saturday Huntington Harbor about 6am. Ran out towards the 14 and dropped in the madmacs. Worked our way towards the 277. Lots boats boats out there all over ea other. We stayed away to the outside around them. No luck, just a bunch chatter on radio about running over ea other lines. So we worked back in towards Farnsworth. At about 3 miles from Catalina. Between avalon and Farnsworth we saw our first fismers. Trolled around the outside and cut back to bring the madmacs through them. They stayed up long enough to turn around and run again. Nothing they dropped out. Shot from there out to mackerel Bank. Didn't see much til about 5pm. Then couple small foamers came up. Tried poppers, snipers, surface irons for nada. Then About 30 mins later we saw a huge football field size come rt at us. We killed the motor and let them come. They was jumping as close as 20ft. We tried everything we could for the 10 mins they stayed up. But they just foamed rt through us. Remember I'm just learning. Lol. Anyways they dropped when we fired up tobtry and get back around in front again. Came back in. Slept in avlon on boat. Made about 3 Spanish macks waiting in the long line to fuel up. $7.02 gal gas. Trolled around front side in 70 and 71 degree water. No luck. Worked ourcway to west end. Got out about few miles to the canyon ridge and decided to take lunch and drift a live Mac. Flyline. Put on 40lb floro leader with I believe 1/0 hook. Mustad ringed circle. Was about 30 mins later my spool was peeling. Fathom 40nld2 on okuma PCH-C741xxh with 80lb braid. Maybe 100. Cant remember. After about 6 secs I flipped the lever drank on. About pulled rod out my hands and almost pulled me over the rail. It was a heavy fish. Sat down and just held on. Tug of war. After about 15 mins of it showing me who was boss I tightened the drag so I didn't loose all my line. I set strike at 25lbs according to you tube vids and research here. Using a spring scale. After a few mins of tighter drag. It broke my knot at the hook had about 1/4 in squiggly line crinkled. Not clean cut or break. Only hook up fir us. We tried. I ran 2 mad macs, different sizes znd colors. Switched to one here and there for maneuver. Trolled from 13 mph to 14mph. Some times down to 10 and back up to 16. I'll be getting my revenge nxt wk end. It felt gd to tug on that dude. My elbows and shoulder and forearms are lil sore. Lol. Any advice appreciated and gd or bad.
    Use the Springer knot

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Anonymous
    Boat Name
    None
    Use the Springer knot

I tested the Springer knot. Its not as strong as the Trilene. It broke about 90% knot strength at around 17.7lbs on average with 20lb line with 40 samples. The Trilene broke at 19.14lbs on average (96% knot strength) with 40 samples. The Springer knot was the main knot that I used for hooks until I did the tests. The only time I still use the Springer knot is when I don't even care if the fish breaks when I fish for bass. The advantage of the Springer knot is that its easy and fast to tie.