Offshore We totally suck so don't get any ideas!

PENN

Team Ball's Out

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jun 18, 2005
Vista
Name
Ray Collier
Boat
23' Sea Swirl Striper
Left Oceanside under the cover of darkness Tuesday morning to dead flat seas! Hauled ass to the 181 arrived pretty quick. Spotted dolphin and a few birds in the area Metered bait most of the day and some really nice bait ball's.
Time to set out the kite. I bought the caught in flight kite set the boat to @ 7.5 knots put on the auto pilot and started to get things ready. Now I never flew a kite while fishing and trust me it was a learning experience to say the least. We tried for 45 mins to launch this fucking thing! It turned out to be a major fuckery, if that is not a word I will put it in the urban dictionary. Holy crap! watched a video before we left that was put out by the company. It's can't be that freaking hard! Shit it's kite for Christ sake! we never did get it up! The kite that is...
So in went the tuna jigs and the plugs. The water temp was awesome perfect conditions. WE came across many kelp paddies with bait but that was about it. Meter stuff deep and sent down a rig but no luck. My son jumped over with the mask and snorkel and spotted one lone tail about 10 down but did not want to bite.
So off we went. Set a course to the 182 and more of the same plenty of lettuce but no one home! set a course to the 43 and more of the same. Radio chatter was pretty quiet, except for some idiot wanting to run over someone's yummie flyer He was told if he keeps on his course he would get that up his ass! Frankly I would pay to see that would of been the most exciting thing all day. We did come across two tuna seiners so we were in the area but on luck no puddlers or breaking fish. Seem like there was some action at and around the 43 but not much to get excited about being we did not hear of any fish being boated.
Had to head back early as we left the grounds @ 3 as my son had to go to work and I had a class that night.
So there you have it, please don't get discouraged there are fish out there but none for us that day, Guess we have to pay the dues first!

To be honest these fuckers would of had a better chance to get the kite flying!

thCGOEIBY0.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lotsa Luck

Almost A Member
Oct 18, 2004
Hyatt Marina Mission Bay
Name
Don Luckenbach, 100 Ton Capt.
Boat
35' Cabo Express, Lotsa Luck II
It's much easier to get the kite up with at least 5 - 10 knts of wind. When it's calm it's a bitch. Keep trying you'll get the hang of it.

Upvote 0

TRAINER

Mar 25, 2009
Anaheim Hills
Name
Ryan
Boat
30 scarab sport
Great post had a good laugh because I know exactly what your talking about. I f'ed around with the kite too a few days ago finally got the hang of it after an hour of yelling at the kite and the my buddy to "go faster go slower" fuck me. Keep at it you will get it down. Once it's up you still have to mess with both lines to make sure it's still skipping correctly. With a little wind it does make it easier to get it up.

Reactions: Caseydmaze
Upvote 0

Caseydmaze

Aug 7, 2012
Temecula
Name
Mackerel Marauder
Boat
18' Stringari Skiff
Great post had a good laugh because I know exactly what your talking about. I f'ed around with the kite too a few days ago finally got the hang of it after an hour of yelling at the kite and the my buddy to "go faster go slower" fuck me. Keep at it you will get it down. Once it's up you still have to mess with both lines to make sure it's still skipping correctly. With a little wind it does make it easier to get it up.
As the idiot stuck at the helm of that boat being told "Go faster Go slower" I concur. We crash and burned that thing a few times. A common phrase I mustve heard 100 times was "Oh Fuck were losing the kite, speed up!!"

It went high, it went low.
We went too fast, we went too slow.
We got the Yummy, were flying the kite.
For Christ's sake Tuna....GIVE US A BITE!!!!

We tried a tennis ball in the sock, then two, then a lead weight, then nothing. All I kept imagining was that poor dad on the beach trying to get his kid's Spiderman kite up so the kid would be proud and Dad is flat winded from doing soft sand windsprints while this matted plastic chinese made POS wafers left and right getting all twisted before smashing back to earth. Now add swell, a boat, two guys communi-arguing, a sliding line release clip, changing wind speed, 2 hours of sleep, two lines and other boats!
All for the shot of fighting a monster. When I think about it now.....I flat wish I was back out there already.
Thanks again Train!!

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
this is much more "technical" fishing than we are used to......

I'm a firm believer that you don't learn it until you've fucked it up a few times. :D

On thing I think is missed by alot of the "newer" guys is that when you have all your gear out, you DON'T just decide to tack off in a new direction! EVERY little change in speed and/or heading has an effect on the kite.........so one must think WAY further ahead, especially in relation to all the other boats out there who appear to be paying no attention to anything except their bait.

at least once a trip, we've had to wind the flyer way up in the sky to clear other boats.....the spearchuckers are the worst! (at being "in the way") LOL

anyway, I compare this to boat docking and my golf swing...........9 times in a row, I do it pretty well.

the 10th time, it looks like I have never done it. :D

the kite thing gets easier over time, and what has helped us is having the same 2 guys do the deploying........

Upvote 0

Spoons

USCG Master
Oct 21, 2004
San Diego/SF Bay
Name
Capt. Erik
Boat
21' Center Console
As the idiot stuck at the helm of that boat being told "Go faster Go slower" I concur. We crash and burned that thing a few times. A common phrase I mustve heard 100 times was "Oh Fuck were losing the kite, speed up!!"

We tried a tennis ball in the sock, then two, then a lead weight, then nothing. All I kept imagining was that poor dad on the beach trying to get his kid's Spiderman kite up so the kid would be proud and Dad is flat winded from doing soft sand windsprints while this matted plastic chinese made POS wafers left and right getting all twisted before smashing back to earth. Now add swell, a boat, two guys communi-arguing, a sliding line release clip, changing wind speed, 2 hours of sleep, two lines and other boats!
All for the shot of fighting a monster. When I think about it now.....I flat wish I was back out there already.
Thanks again Train!!

Hahaha that was a funny as fuck writeup!! Good shit brother!

If the kite is about to nose dive you need to crank like hell on the kite reel to get some air in front of it, then adjust the boat speed and direction.

Upvote 0

el Toro

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Feb 19, 2003
Point Loma
Name
Nate
Boat
Artemis

Thanks again Train!!
Classic. Super funny and we can all relate.

Upvote 0

Bring It On

Bring It On Fishing
Jul 6, 2013
At The Helm
Name
Jason
Boat
Bring It On
LOL Rolling! Helium Ballon should do the trick !
Best kite in my opinion for all around conditions hands down AFTCO .
Good luck next time!

Upvote 0

Team Ball's Out

Jun 18, 2005
Vista
Name
Ray Collier
Boat
23' Sea Swirl Striper
Reactions: tunacraze
Upvote 0

Tj1996

Jul 24, 2014
Name
Nick
Boat
23ft Striper
Not to mention freediving on kelp patties and not seeing anything under them!!!!!
TBO's Deckhand

Upvote 0

Calscot

Aug 28, 2012
Dana Point
Name
Peter
Boat
38' Mediterranean
I'm not sure if this will help but here's my 2 cents worth on "getting it up' :)
Launching the kite from the back of any boat is problematic. Even a small cuddy cabin or center console with a T-top produces a ton of air turbulence at the rear end of the boat out past 30+ feet and any attempts at launching off the cockpit deck of my flybridge Sportfisher is a comedy show in action with the turbulence it produces. I go up to the front of the boat and head the boat into the wind (but not directly into it) but at about 30-45* off direct wind heading at about 8 knots and then launch it. If you go directly into the wind, the kite will fly into your T-top or cabin or hit the turbulence. Once the kite is out 50' or so, I walk it back to the cockpit deck and rig it up to the kite rod. At this point it's far enough into clean air and it flys no problem. Technique 2 I use is to head the boat the same way but hook the kite via my outrigger and pull the kite up to the end of the outrigger into clean air. Once it's up, (the kite that is) pull the outrigger back in to hook up the kite to the kite rig. I actually run the kite line via my outrigger all the time as it keeps the kite line up higher and away from my fishing line.

Upvote 0

Team Ball's Out

Jun 18, 2005
Vista
Name
Ray Collier
Boat
23' Sea Swirl Striper
I'm not sure if this will help but here's my 2 cents worth on "getting it up' :)
Launching the kite from the back of any boat is problematic. Even a small cuddy cabin or center console with a T-top produces a ton of air turbulence at the rear end of the boat out past 30+ feet and any attempts at launching off the cockpit deck of my flybridge Sportfisher is a comedy show in action with the turbulence it produces. I go up to the front of the boat and head the boat into the wind (but not directly into it) but at about 30-45* off direct wind heading at about 8 knots and then launch it. If you go directly into the wind, the kite will fly into your T-top or cabin or hit the turbulence. Once the kite is out 50' or so, I walk it back to the cockpit deck and rig it up to the kite rod. At this point it's far enough into clean air and it flys no problem. Technique 2 I use is to head the boat the same way but hook the kite via my outrigger and pull the kite up to the end of the outrigger into clean air. Once it's up, (the kite that is) pull the outrigger back in to hook up the kite to the kite rig. I actually run the kite line via my outrigger all the time as it keeps the kite line up higher and away from my fishing line.
Great idea thank you for the tips we will have to try this!

Upvote 0

Bring It On

Bring It On Fishing
Jul 6, 2013
At The Helm
Name
Jason
Boat
Bring It On

Great idea

Upvote 0

FloMar

Hired Gun!
Apr 28, 2004
CA.
Name
John Collar
Boat
Parker 2320
With all the talk of "fuckery" and "fucked" and "I can't get it up" where's the T&A!?
Frustration gets us all, with whatever, at some point! Keep at it, as others have suggested. BTW, great laughs in the reading so you've provided many of us the lighter side of life which brought down my overall anxiety level. Great Luck next time, you'll get them next time out, as I have The Witch aka The Mrs working up a spell on your behalf. It's worked on Mother Nature so why can't it work on BFT also.

Reactions: Team Ball's Out
Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
ain't that the truth. LOL

anyway, I compare this to boat docking and my golf swing...........9 times in a row, I do it pretty well.

the 10th time, it looks like I have never done it. :D

Reactions: solid72
Upvote 0