Shewillbemine

"should of" is NOT a thing
Oct 19, 2012
California
Name
Shewillbemine
Boat
Chips N Guac
Almost 10 years old, and he was defeated by what is likely cancer.

About 3 months ago, he had a crazy bout of vomiting and diarrhea, to which the vet prescribed antibiotics and anti-nausea medication. He got better, but the vomiting and diarrhea came back after the med cycle.

We rinsed and repeated this process, even moving on to stronger steroids. He would get somewhat better, then fall back. Each time, he would lose his appetite a little sooner then before.

We even paid for an endoscopy to check his insides, but everything checked out. Unfortunately, the vet couldn't get the camera into the small intestines, which is where they suspected the cancer existed. The only other option was to cut him open to inspect the intestines up close. Unfortunately, because he wasn't eating, he would be too weak to survive this procedure. As a double whammy, even IF they confirmed the cancer, we'd still have to get him eating because he wouldn't survive chemotherapy.

I consulted 3 different vets just to ensure I was exploring every option and gave him every chance in the world. At the end, he was just too weak to keep fighting and it became a question of quality of life. When I had to put him in a wagon just to get him fresh air or when he plopped down on the ground after a minute of walking, I knew it was time.

He was 60 pounds when healthy but 43 pounds by today. He was our first baby before we had any kids, and I tried to take him on the boat every chance I could. He was the nicest dog in the world, even though he looked intimidating to some people.

He loved sticking his butt in the air when he was petted, playing "Find" for his treats in the living room, and rolling in the grass like a total goofball.

A few of you might have even seen or run into him at the harbor where we fish out of.

We will miss Harvey very much.

75340991_10156301050406504_2470313988630511616_n.jpg
74409962_10156301049921504_6346518361203015680_n.jpg

lougio

Capt Lou
Jul 19, 2014
La Mesa, CA
Name
Lou
Boat
'03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
Ah man.. that's too bad. I know your pain and feel for you and the whole family. You treated him great all these years. RIP

Reactions: Shewillbemine

BloodyL

Throwing everything I got
Jan 4, 2009
Placentia
Name
Mick
Boat
The Beach
Always a tough one.
RIP little guy.

gonzo25

GOT A BIG ONE
Nov 20, 2008
san diego calif. usa
Name
george
Boat
18' Invader CC 15' bayliner son of a beach
wow what a bummer, putting your dog down is so hard to do. I miss my dog so much, I feel your pain and hope you remember if they don't bring so much happiness then it wouldn't feel so bad when they go. sorry... get another one soon, it will never be the same because just like people they are all different but it will love you just as much and you will love it too. Dogs are the only thing that will truly give unconditional love

embo

I've been recommended for a recommendation...
Aug 25, 2006
Name
n/a
Boat
17' Bluewater
So sorry bro, I know all too well the pain. Just know that there's another dog out there that needs you.

skipjackrobert

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 2, 2013
The OC
Name
Rob
Boat
The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
I am sorry! RIP little doggie!

skipjackrobert

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Apr 2, 2013
The OC
Name
Rob
Boat
The Constitution or Tomahawk with Stan
I know how you feel. I have to do the same in a few days.

Osteosarcoma in humerus and scapula. 9 years young.

Fuck Cancer!

RIP Harvey!!
Sorry bro! Mine is coming up in about a year! God help me! :(