WDFW Fish Checkers @ Neah Bay

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by Sockeye71, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Sockeye71

Sockeye71 If it swims... we will hunt it down and club it!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Olympic 26' XLC "Sea Monkey"
    Hey Neah Bay anglers...

I emailed WDFW about the fish checkers working the fuel dock at Neah - when we're trying to fuel up. This last week, a couple of the new checkers seemed to find it easier to check boats at the fuel dock.

One checker caused a spill getting on off a boat in the middle of fueling. Another laid out fish on the dock at the bottom of the steps... we saw an older lady take-a-header from all the blood-slime left over... no water to rinse it off. It also slowed the fueling and the ramp down to a new level of shit show.

Pretty frustrating. I mentioned that I have never seen any fish checkers work the fuel dock at Westport, Ilwaco, etc...

Here is their response... I am fairly impressed.

Hello Mr. Brabo,

I supervise the WDFW staff in Neah Bay. Wendy forwarded me your email regarding our port sampler(s) and their sampling of boats in the middle of refueling. We direct our staff not to interfere with boats while they’re actively fueling for safety concerns, and I have relayed both a verbal and written reminder to our samplers not to sample boats while they’re at the pump. As you’d mentioned, the fuel pump does share the dock with boats waiting for the boat launch and we do sample boats while they’re waiting to pull out. I will also advise staff to avoid interfering with boats getting fuel as they pass by the pump. Apologies for any frustration you experienced as a result of our sampling practices, please feel free to contact me in the future with any comments or concerns. Good luck fishing!

Thank you,

Will Dezan

Ocean Sampling Program

Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife

48 Devonshire Road

Montesano, WA 98563

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  2. Odin7

Odin7 Odin7

Name:
    George
    Boat:
    Duckworth
    They'll get the groove of it.

I've spoken with three of them (on issues unrelated to this thread) and they were all good people beginning their careers in the science field.

Thanks Dave for speaking up. Better to help them succeed by writing WDFW so we can all (including the fish checkers) have a pleasant, successful year.

3. silver slayer

silver slayer I've posted enough I should'nt have to edit this

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    25' starcraft expedition
    I wonder what they do if you tell them no cant check my fish. I have told them to wait so we can transfer straight into a cart and not mess the deck up. they didnt like it but they waited.

4. OceanSun

OceanSun Captain

Name:
    Dan Meyer
    Boat:
    Ocean Dancer 21' Trophy
    I always tell them to wait until we get the boat secure until they start asking questions.

5. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    2017 LUMACAT 28' Sport
    That’s a fair response. Fish checkers are human and need to be reminded of things.

6. The Peddler

The Peddler You should have been here yesterday!

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    542F6CE4-BBCF-4350-AFFE-6BC195020328.jpeg

FWIW. You agreed to this when you signed your license. Not sure if/what the punishment might be. The samplers cannot enforce law, but they can contact WDFW enforcement.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  7. The Peddler

The Peddler You should have been here yesterday!

Name:
    Matt
    Boat:
    2400 SeaSport Explorer - "Permanent Waves"
    I agree.

8. Sockeye71

Sockeye71 If it swims... we will hunt it down and club it!

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    Olympic 26' XLC "Sea Monkey"
    I also thought the response was fair...

9. kenzmad

kenzmad I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jamie
    Boat:
    nwj 218 lightning
    I know we agreed to this but, I had one check me at the 10th street launch in Everett. Seems I had a chipped blackmouth.(6lbs). She wanted the head. Problem was, I was in the Bayside Blackmouth derby and I wasnt giving up the head til weigh in. She finally agreed and I won a flashlight, she got the tagged head after it was over.

10. Big Scotch

Big Scotch Newbie

Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    North River 24 OS “We Be Clubbin’”
    I had a (definitely new) checker insist on me not handing her the fish over the side of my boat at Westport as she didn’t want to lose it into the drink, so I had her aboard, she then proceeded to cut the head off when she found a chip, it spilled brains all over the deck and my wash down was tits up at the time, kinda sucked, I don’t blame her tho, she was just trying to follow protocol, they are almost all fresh out of (or still in) college kids figuring out what they are going to do for work, not anal retentive boat owners and avid high strung fisherman

Hannibal and Odin7 like this.
  11. wdlfbio

wdlfbio Once you go Cat, you never go back

Name:
    laurence
    Boat:
    2017 LUMACAT 28' Sport
    I don’t mind blood and guts, but there’s no place for brains on a boat???? The horror. LOLLOLLOL

TexMojoII likes this.
  12. eldplanko

eldplanko got the skunk off

Name:
    My other boat is a piece of...
    Boat:
    Floater
    Not sure how may really care, but when they take the head to read the CWT, you can get a code from the checker to call or email up later and they’ll tell you which hatchery and year your fish is from, I’m all for supporting that. Knowledge is power.

Big Scotch likes this.
  13. Big Scotch

Big Scotch Newbie

Name:
    Dylan
    Boat:
    North River 24 OS “We Be Clubbin’”
    B9B3BF5C-4D0C-4511-8B0C-77D0F8C10939.jpeg Lol, well said Laurence! Was just butthurt because the wash down wasn’t working on the new boat and I don’t have water at the church yet. I got the code from that little king (the first fish caught on the new boat by my 13 year old son on his birthday, opening day salmon MA 2 2019... sorry proud and drunk posting) and can’t wait to see where it’s been/was headed.