WDFW facing serious budget cuts from 2021-23.

Bob Hager

May 10, 2017
Tumwater, WA
Name
Bob Hager
Boat
Essobee IV
The present agency was peddled as something that would reduce duplication of the efforts of the Washington Department of Wildlife and the Washington Department of Fisheries. The initiative passed and there were less than 1,000 employees in the new agency. Without legislative instruction, the resultant entity followed the regionalization of the "Game Department" hence the budget problems. The agency has more than doubled in size since they have been able to get into the state's General Fund. It is high time to get back to basics - they don't need the extra people to take care of the state's resources. We are being screwed as sportsmen.

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
Tons of non fish/game activity/expenses/staff...

Upvote 0

koopa

Arima Adventures
Feb 3, 2018
Puget sound
Name
Koopa
Boat
Arima
What always boggles my mind is how can they afford to staff so many biologists (fish checkers) at all the various sites throughout the summer. Some weekends it seems like they have just about most areas / sites covered. I also wonder what happenes to all of these people come winter time. I get what they are trying to do with accurate/in run quota updates but it seemed like this was one part of the agency that really grew over that past several years. I always thought that we should go to an all electric real time reporting system that could greatly reduce this aspect of the agency. I know this fish checkers are some of the coolest down to earth people who enjoy to fish too so not trying to attack them or anything but just making an observation without looking at the actual resources (facts) spent in this area.

Upvote 0

bertman

Almost A Member
Aug 25, 2010
Centralia/WA/US
Name
bert grylls
Boat
23' NR Seahawk
How the fuck is there a fish checker assigned to each dock at WP, when state agencies are being furloughed, makes zero sense. (Cliff notes, Fuck Jay Inslee and I could go off for hours regarding waste of our tax dollars) WA FW is garbage anyways

Reactions: fishing fanatic
Upvote 0

Mpizzle

Bobber down!
Jul 18, 2010
Mt Vernon
Name
Matt
Boat
20’ Glasply
Those checkers make like 14$/hour and are on a 6 week term.

Not exactly the glam life...

They’re the product of ESA listing of species. If it weren’t for the scientific monitoring NOAA wouldn’t let a single hook hit the water. Sad reality of the state our fisheries are in.

Upvote 0

gloxx

Aug 28, 2012
WA
Name
Erik
Boat
unnamed
We've been getting shafted by a terribly run department for ages. Simplify the regs. Keep the hatcheries running, data collection and projects to manage the fishing opportunities to keep the fishing sustainable. All the other stuff, stocker trout BS, go fast boats with triple 300s, outreach tournaments etc are unnecessary and unimportant.

Upvote 0

Ducks4jimm11

Feb 6, 2013
Graham/WA/USA
Name
Jim Mavity
Boat
Arima SR 19
Funny how license and tag revenue generates much more tax money than the DFW department receives. Not funny is the fact we are talking about cutting hatchery funding one day, then lamenting the demise of the resident orca pods the next because we don't have enough salmon for them to eat. How do we expect anything to get better if we keep doing the same things year after year?

Upvote 0

Latest posts