Kitsap Fish hunter

Almost A Member
Sep 1, 2016
Bremerton
Name
Andrew
Boat
Arima 17 Sea Chaser
Who benefits from more hatchery production. Will it be us sporties or will it be to save the orca's. Sorry I don't share your excitement Paul but I lost faith in this state year's ago..I can see the writing on the wall..very much like the current hunting proposals...dismal at best and getting worse by the year...

And I will be stepping out..hunting for land in Idaho right now.
They Tribes benefit as much as anyone else, they are entitled to 50% of our hatchery fish...

Upvote 0

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
  • Sep 25, 2008
    Westport/Renton
    Name
    Cap't Paul
    Boat
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200 G2
    What a bunch of BS, thats exactly what they have been telling us every time they have asked for more $$$$...And that is what they told us when they added the $10 Columbia river fee...get real.

Who's paying for the hatchery fish??

Upvote 0

Kitsap Fish hunter

Almost A Member
    Sep 1, 2016
    Bremerton
    Name
    Andrew
    Boat
    Arima 17 Sea Chaser
    They catch more than 50% every year.
    Your absolutely right, more like 70 to 80% and sometimes as high at 94%..I was talking about the minimal entitlement of the tribes...Did you know that all the fish they catch on the reservation do not count towards the 50% ?

Upvote 0

WSU

Almost A Member
    Jun 19, 2012
    unknown
    Name
    unknown
    Boat
    none
    Your absolutely right, more like 70 to 80% and sometimes as high at 94%..I was talking about the minimal entitlement of the tribes...Did you know that all the fish they catch on the reservation do not count towards the 50% ?

That's not accurate from my understanding. It certainly isn't what is provided for in the case law. Do you have specifics of what you are referring to?

Upvote 0

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
    Nov 30, 2010
    Redondo/WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    "Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
    All this bullshit aside...we don't EVEN KNOW our fucking seasons yet? Yeah, we have some scribbles on a cocktail napkin (like 2 salmon limit in MA4...WTF does that mean, 2 kings, or 1 king and one something-the-fuck-else?)? Why can't they go from Jan. 1st to Dec. 31st like our friends up north?

Not only are we paying increased fees for gross mismangement, we're paying increase fees for no management, and limited, to no communication...

Upvote 0

wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
    Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    Why can’t the WDFW get some money from the general fund that keeps growing at break neck speed as we get taxed?

Ummmm. Chinook salmon are nomadic, not homeless. So the state won’t cover their living expenses.

Duh.

Upvote 0

Kitsap Fish hunter

Almost A Member
    Sep 1, 2016
    Bremerton
    Name
    Andrew
    Boat
    Arima 17 Sea Chaser
    Who's paying for the hatchery fish??
    What fish, they are taking away fish from the Sportsman and letting more gillnets on the Columbia
    That's not accurate from my understanding. It certainly isn't what is provided for in the case law. Do you have specifics of what you are referring to?
    I quoted that from the book Indian Treaties American Nightmare, by C. Herb Williams and Walt Neubrech...

Upvote 0

Barracuda1

Master of None
    Jul 7, 2011
    All over this bitch!
    Name
    Fred
    Boat
    Defiance 220 EX (BARRACUDA II)
    I hope this thread doesn't get deleted. Increase fees will happen, and you will pay. Period! Don't get me wrong. I don't blame you. I will too. Someday though, I hope we ALL really do stand together and make a statement about the state of sport fishing in Washington. Until then I guess we will just do what we do.

Reactions: Calis and Odin7
    Upvote 0

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
    Jul 27, 2009
    Seattle, Wa
    Name
    Jeff Nelson
    Boat
    255 BW Conquest “Double Header”
    Let’s work together to create a surplus of fish and then argue over how to split them up. I’m willing to pay a lot to make that happen. And thank you to all those that work at the lobbying/meeting level or help that happen.

Reactions: Genie Aye and LJB
    Upvote 0

Kitsap Fish hunter

Almost A Member
    Sep 1, 2016
    Bremerton
    Name
    Andrew
    Boat
    Arima 17 Sea Chaser
    Let’s work together to create a surplus of fish and then argue over how to split them up. I’m willing to pay a lot to make that happen. And thank you to all those that work at the lobbying/meeting level or help that happen.
    By giving them a 15% increase, we saying we are happy with the way you are co-managing our fish. Will, I for one am not happy with what they are doing.

Upvote 0

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
    Jun 2, 2009
    Seabeck
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT

I'm all for a surplus fish..it's arguing over how to split them where you loose me. We get what the tribe's give us, we can't even get our own permits. So how much can we really argue.

My biggest concern is how much federal protection the orca's are going to get. It will affect our season's I guarantee it. But will it affect the tribe's. Absolutely not. So we help pay to increase hatchery production and we are left at the dock holding our rods, litterally and figuratively.

Reactions: Calis
    Upvote 0

MarkColeman

Boat Slave
    Advertiser
    May 20, 2010
    Westport, Snoqualmie, Los Suenos Costa Rica
    www.AllWashingtonFishing.com
    Name
    Mark Coleman
    Boat
    16' Guide, 20' Scout, 29’ Defiance’s Elite, Ultra, Express Style, 31' Luhrs, 42’ Pilothouse
    Support it or we’ll have even less.

Upvote 0

stairman

May 16, 2009
    ramona /ca/usa
    Name
    doug
    Boat
    yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
    Who the fuc are you voting for in your messed up fishery??? A Cali guy giving us shit..classic...
    yeah because you folks up there are second in line with your bullshit state government....if it wasnt true this thread wouldnt exist

Upvote 0

richardp

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 4, 2011
    Burlington WA
    Name
    Richard
    Boat
    2470 Pursuit 300 Yami
    Support it or we’ll have even less.
    It does not matter if we support it or not it will pass this time?! Any # divided by 0 is still 0. I am still waiting for answers to my prior questions. Sportsman are fed up, many will stop paying and then with lower # of license buyers you have less overall $$ for hatchery production. what a horrible time to ask sportsman to brunt the bill. Let them tax somebody or someone else for christ's sake. People who are content with "at least the ocean still has a fishery" i am truly happy for you and hope you enjoy it

For those who quote strong returns in a few years and a return to fishing bliss i am truly happy for you too, i am sure that light u see at the end of the tunnel in 2-4 years is not an oncoming train

Reactions: koopa
    Upvote 0

richardp

Feb 4, 2011
    Burlington WA
    Name
    Richard
    Boat
    2470 Pursuit 300 Yami
    If your logic tells you throwing more money at it can only help ask yourself this- who exactly is it helping? I imagine behind closed doors someone has already run the math on what % of the increase in $$ will actually help the fish and what is set aside for more lawsuits. The fish need help and this libtard state will not figure it out because too many heads are up asses. Just follow the money and use your heads and think for yourselves. Please

Reactions: Odin7 and koopa
    Upvote 0

Tiderunner85

Sep 30, 2010
    Tacoma, WA
    Name
    Tommy
    Boat
    21' Tiderunner
    I understand paying for more hatchery production and would have no problem if in turn it meant more opportunity. The reality though is we are managed to impacts of wild fish. So under the current rule making process regardless how many hatchery fish are expected to come back we are constrained to those impacts.

Flood the sound with hatchery fish and we'll still be sitting on the bench as we feed the seals to help their population. Sure it may benefit a few dumb whales too.

Look at the south sound hatchery numbers for the last few years. After a low of 43k hatchery fish in 2016 we rebounded to 80k in 2017, 123k in 2018, and 108k this year. Last year MA11 was the best I've seen it in 10+ years and we have a forecast run that is fairly close for this year. Yet the quota is something like 50% of last year, we lost a month, and can only fish 5 days a week.

Now check out the Puyallup numbers, from 2012-2017 (couldn't find 2018), the hatchery run was between 3k-9k. This year the forecast is for 13k hatchery fish. What is the proposed MA11 season again? Couldn't even allow for a terminal 7 day a week salt fishery in front of the mouth? From what I understand MA11 is constrained because of some stray wild Hood Canal fish. Basically wtf.

ssfish.jpg puyfish.jpg

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Kitsap Fish hunter

Almost A Member
    Sep 1, 2016
    Bremerton
    Name
    Andrew
    Boat
    Arima 17 Sea Chaser
    yeah because you folks up there are second in line with your bullshit state government....if it wasnt true this thread wouldnt exist
    You are exactly right, like you, our state government is run by Democrats....And they just appointed a commercial friendly Director of Fish and game.

Upvote 0

sgwill122

Feb 21, 2011
    Redmond/WA/USA
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
    I understand paying for more hatchery production and would have no problem if in turn it meant more opportunity. The reality though is we are managed to impacts of wild fish. So under the current rule making process regardless how many hatchery fish are expected to come back we are constrained to those impacts.

Flood the sound with hatchery fish and we'll still be sitting on the bench as we feed the seals to help their population. Sure it may benefit a few dumb whales too.

Look at the south sound hatchery numbers for the last few years. After a low of 43k hatchery fish in 2016 we rebounded to 80k in 2017, 123k in 2018, and 108k this year. Last year MA11 was the best I've seen it in 10+ years and we have a forecast run that is fairly close for this year. Yet the quota is something like 50% of last year, we lost a month, and can only fish 5 days a week.

Now check out the Puyallup numbers, from 2012-2017 (couldn't find 2018), the hatchery run was between 3k-9k. This year the forecast is for 13k hatchery fish. What is the proposed MA11 season again? Couldn't even allow for a terminal 7 day a week salt fishery in front of the mouth? From what I understand MA11 is constrained because of some stray wild Hood Canal fish. Basically wtf.

View attachment 1019837 View attachment 1019838

Thanks for posting. My head hurts how dumb and inconsistent this is. We clip the fins of hatchery fish so sportsmen can release the wild fish. Yet when the wild runs are still low we reduce or eliminate the sports fishery which had neglible impact to 'stray' fish to start with. But when it comes to the Columbia we need gillnets to mop up hatchery fish which have at least a 50% mortality on wild fish.

Upvote 0

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
    Jul 27, 2009
    Seattle, Wa
    Name
    Jeff Nelson
    Boat
    255 BW Conquest “Double Header”
    I didn’t say that. I’m saying influence the things we can for now to make it better for everyone.
    I can be unhappy about something and realize I don’t Have much control over it so put my effort elsewhere at this time. Especially when for now we have some goals in common with those other folks so fighting with them now when we really do need to work together seems like a bad plan.
    By giving them a 15% increase, we saying we are happy with the way you are co-managing our fish. Will, I for one am not happy with what they are doing.

Upvote 0

WSU

Almost A Member
    Jun 19, 2012
    unknown
    Name
    unknown
    Boat
    none
    Tiderunner is spot on. That's what I've been trying to tell people, here and on the gill net thread. We can have all the hatchery fish in the world but it won't help. Our fisheries aren't limited by hatchery fish (except in a few instances). We are limited by wild fish mortalities, and installing more harvesters (nets) to mop up the hatchery fish will just blow through those numbers faster. Anyone that says otherwise either doesn't understand management or can't do the math.

Upvote 0

Genie Aye

FISH BOSS
  • Sep 25, 2008
    Westport/Renton
    Name
    Cap't Paul
    Boat
    V-20 Wellcraft w/200 G2
    Thats it, i am with the whiners and bitchers now...i have had with the co partners, i am joining the wfc and cca and not buying a license anymore, i am going to fish when i want when i want because someone else is fishing, so i should be able to fish too.

Upvote 0

koopa

Arima Adventures
    Feb 3, 2018
    Puget sound
    Name
    Koopa
    Boat
    Arima
    Thats it, i am with the whiners and bitchers now...i have had with the co partners, i am joining the wfc and cca and not buying a license anymore, i am going to fish when i want when i want because someone else is fishing, so i should be able to fish too.

Or you can re-up with PSA and just hope something eventually will change.

Reactions: Odin7
    Upvote 0

Latest posts