Offshore Wayyyyyy to many private boaters seriously.

tommyc

Hacker
Jul 30, 2011
Livermore, CA
Name
Tom
Boat
Beatem N' Eatem
We all pay the same for the license to fish. Gas & bait cost about the same for everyone...
No one owns the area their boat is floating on. However, character counts, and manners should override enthusiasm.
This thread is a good learning opportunity for many people, including myself. (reading different opinions)
A little education goes a long way if done correctly.

[QUOTEIt is not just googans. Had a "6 pack" (really too big for a 6 pack) 40' named the Courageous out of san diego pull up to a paddy in between at least 6 boats and stop 20' from the paddy and start fishing. No drift. Just stayed right on it.][/QUOTE]

The current bite in Southern Calif. in many ways mirrors what we always deal with up here in Northern Calif. It is almost ironic that all of these threads are being posted in the Offshore forum, because the Offshore fish have in fact come Inshore. As is true with so many discussions these days everyone is entitled to their own opinions but there is no personal ownership of the facts:

FACT1: Rookie or Veteran, private or charter, TROLLING CLOSE TO A BOAT THAT IS HOOKED UP ON A TUNA NEVER PRODUCES A JIG STRIKE! 1/4 Mile is the appropriate distance if you are trying to poach fish off of someone that is fighting a tuna. There are many reasons for this and not the least of which is the speed that tuna swim and the fact that there is no reason for any number of tuna in a school to care about a skiff and the miniscule amount of bait that they may or may not be throwing.

FACT 2: SLIDING UP TO A PATTY, VERY CLOSE OR ON TOP OF A PATTY, NEVER PRODUCES A HOOKUP UNLESS YOU ARE THE VERY FIRST BOAT TO FIND THE PATTY. Even then turning your screws right next to the floating debris seriously negates the opportunity to ambush a gamefish there, but whatever....

We have no party boat pelagic fishery up here so most of the action is on skiffs. When fish approach within 20 miles, as they sometimes do, then we have the same sorts of circus acts that I am seeing described on this and other forums. Fish being cut off by boats trying to troll close to a boat that has hooked troll fish. Massive amounts of ignorance on display. The very act of doing this says louder than anything else possible that you know nothing about catching tuna. So why advertise this? Think twice and save yourself the opportunity to fit in with the guys that know what they are doing out there. It's just a thought....

Upvote 0

Raimond

Not as lean, not as mean, still a Marine...
Mar 9, 2014
SoCal
Name
Ray
Boat
23' IMP Hardtop - "4 Reel"
We have no party boat pelagic fishery up here so most of the action is on skiffs. When fish approach within 20 miles, as they sometimes do, then we have the same sorts of circus acts that I am seeing described on this and other forums. Fish being cut off by boats trying to troll close to a boat that has hooked troll fish. Massive amounts of ignorance on display. The very act of doing this says louder than anything else possible that you know nothing about catching tuna. So why advertise this? Think twice and save yourself the opportunity to fit in with the guys that know what they are doing out there. It's just a thought....

Ignorance = Lack of knowledge.
Stupidity = Doing the same thing expecting different results.

What are you saying in this post? Is it that you know nothing about catching Tuna because you live up north, or that stating someone is reading this to learn is not a smart move?

Upvote 0

tommyc

Hacker
Jul 30, 2011
Livermore, CA
Name
Tom
Boat
Beatem N' Eatem
OK your guys really know what you are doing. Trolling on top of a boat that is hooked to a troll fish might result in you hooking that same fish and taking it from them. It's brilliant, because as long as you have stronger line it always works. Turning screws right on top of a patty gets the big fish excited and they come right to the boat, ignoring all avenues of escape. Pass it around, it's cool man.

Do what you will. It's LA after all and that's how you roll. I speak from my experience but yours may vary.

Upvote 0

Bagelboy

Bagelboy
Jun 7, 2006
Huntington Beach
Name
Jay
Boat
Boston Whaler Conquest 23
OK your guys really know what you are doing. Trolling on top of a boat that is hooked to a troll fish might result in you hooking that same fish and taking it from them. It's brilliant, because as long as you have stronger line it always works. Turning screws right on top of a patty gets the big fish excited and they come right to the boat, ignoring all avenues of escape. Pass it around, it's cool man.

Do what you will. It's LA after all and that's how you roll. I speak from my experience but yours may vary.
:appl:

Upvote 0

Scupper

Feb 13, 2014
Name
Mark Somers
Boat
Custom
When they didn't respond that meant no . I would have let you in if you asked and were cool like you stated , but if someone does not say its cool and you do anyway .............then expect the BA . I have been on paddies that were wide open and completely shut down when a second boat shows up . It used to be that you didi not enter without an invite , now it seems like people assume they are entitled to do whatever they want . The respect is gone for the most part and you may as well be on the 405 freeway .

Upvote 0

santiago

Jul 6, 2005
Marina del Rey
Name
Steve
Boat
Farallon 25, "187"
Fact 1 and 2 are both false.
Agree. While bad manners, I've witnessed the opposite of both take place in Southern California/northern Baja. Northern California probably has a different offshore fishery than we have down here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white

I dont participate in those techniques,im just saying ive seen both of those scenarios catch fish.For the most part you're right.

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
What not to do.

IMG_0711.JPG

IMG_0714.JPG

Upvote 0

Holi-e-Mackeral

Holi-e-Mackeral
Jul 10, 2003
Orange County, CA
Visit site
Name
Jeff
Boat
Royal Polaris - sold the boat
Some great points..

It is true that there are quite a few knuckleheads on private boats out there..

Now, as this is the first nice run of exotics in our near shore waters in quite a few years, I can understand the excitment and enthusiasm for pb anglerrs..

Imagine what the launch ramps are like right now... ??

Jeff

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Imagine what the launch ramps are like right now... ??

Jeff

They were a cluster...which is why I launched at 7pm Friday night, and sept on the boat, got up at 4 am Saturday, got bait (no line), and was in route by 4:30......but it didn't take long for the crowds to gather.

Upvote 0

yellowklr

My Best Catch!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 22, 2003
San Diego,Ca
Name
Derek
Boat
complicated
just another reason to leave CA
:rofl:

I can fish sooo many places in Mexico or Florida where I have the bite to myself even on the weekend……………..

Upvote 0

Ali

Master of Nothing
Admin
Apr 24, 2003
San Diego
Name
That Guy
Boat
SeaVee 340Z
Wow. I've never seen a thread like this before.

Very fresh and unique.

:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Surfingbuddhist

Almost A Member
Oct 17, 2013
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Glen
Boat
4 Reelz
I went out on a weekday this past week on a solo trip. Every published GPS coordinate on FishDope from DP to the 14 and the 279 had 7-9 boats on it. No one was catching anything. I trolled around the circle of boats, keeping a respectful distance, but no luck. Did this couple more times at different published coordinates. Same result, same number of boats. I thought to myself "the ocean is a very big place, fuck the FD coordinates," pulled out my charts and went to the places I thought would be holding fish further out. Finally got to my destination an hour later and trolled feathers with no luck, until I found a kelp patty. As soon as I got near it, I could see huge schools of yellowtail swimming under the boat. There was one other boat 300 yards away that seemed to have caught their limit and was on their way out. I ended up with 5 yellowtail to take home, losing 4, and releasing another 7, basically a wide open bite. I had to stop fishing because it was getting late. After the other boat left, I never saw another single boat.

14523604027_2e2bb9c684_o.jpg

Reactions: ISLAND BOUND
Upvote 0

peteking

Everybody take a look at the bad guy-T. Montana
Apr 21, 2013
Arcadia/CA/USA
Name
Pete King
Boat
Ohana
Respect still exists in California, at least near the Oregon border. But when they get in close like 10 miles out, even up here, the universal law of boating kicks in 120 percent, which says "If anything is capable of revealing a person's utter and complete lack of common sens, a boat is it".

Whenever something approaching the total freedom that a boat has to offer comes into play, the lack of intelligence is out there for everyone to see. It's amazing.

Klaatu barada nikto.

Upvote 0

Ducksgo

May 19, 2013
Long Beach, CA
Name
Mark
Boat
Someone else's
100 other guys probably got the same numbers as you from fishdope and your pissed there is to many private boaters. WTF? If you don't want to deal with the crowds go where the reports aren't coming from.

Ummm no? Fish dope doesn't have a clue where dolphin are unless BD fishdope have pinned a gps tracking device on them or something lol. So to answer your statement. We were the only ones on that dolphin pod before the masses came rolling in. Anyways that's not the point, the point is show a little respect to other fisherman that are hooked up. There's absolutely no reason to run over a couple troll rods hooked up because you're to retarded to figure out what a bent rod is with fish hanging on my stern.

Reactions: Surfingbuddhist
Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
I can't believe all the crying people are doing right now! Look people, we are experiencing some of the best local offshore fishing we have seen in years. Why aren't you shouting the praises as opposed to telling the BloodyDecks world how the ocean is yours and everyone should stay home while you're fishing. Screw that!!! I plan on enjoying it while I can and if you see my Parker with rods bent, give me a shout and I'll probably wave you in. If you want to throw a beverage my way....even better! Relax people and enjoy this fishing while it's here, because it could be done as fast as it came.

Reactions: OnoEric
Upvote 0

jeffdalton

"Well Known" Member
Aug 16, 2005
Long Beach, CA
Name
Jeff Dalton
Boat
21' Parker/Stealth Stix
Here is a neat little trick....say you found a patty holding and are hooked up all around.If you see another boat coming, fight your fish with no bend in the rod and DON'T gaff any fish till they move on. I used that technique at la jolla on a weekend YT tournament and even had a half day boat drive within 50 yards while we had three going ...There were at least 100 small and large boats at lajolla that day and we kept the fish to ourselves for and laughed like hell for about ninety minutes...we took three out of the top four prizes.

If the boats off shore are driving towards you pull up leave the patty before they can see it...have your crew point and get excited as they come near like they see something. Then motor off till they follow...decoys work for ducks and fisherman. Once they come investigate and circle you a few times they'll get bored and take off.....and hopefully not see the patty at all.

We do this all the time! Yeah, it is pretty funny.

Upvote 0

Cast Gold

hss AHHHH...hss AHHHH....
Jul 1, 2005
Tustin
Name
Kris
Boat
Mike's
Sucks.

I went to the doctor for a full physical awhile back. I'll be damned if that S.O.B. doctor didn't stuck his finger up my ass. Go figure.

I hope it was a real doctor. And I really hope it was a finger.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Ummm no? Fish dope doesn't have a clue where dolphin are unless BD fishdope have pinned a gps tracking device on them or something lol. So to answer your statement. We were the only ones on that dolphin pod before the masses came rolling in. Anyways that's not the point, the point is show a little respect to other fisherman that are hooked up. There's absolutely no reason to run over a couple troll rods hooked up because you're to retarded to figure out what a bent rod is with fish hanging on my stern.
I thought only kelp paddies could be owned,now we have to show respect for dolphin schools and the 1 boat chasing them

Upvote 0

Slice-Of-Life

SoCal Hoo and Blue Club
Jun 18, 2012
San Jacinto
Name
Travis Magnano
Boat
Nope

No one else around but they were able to run over the fish you hooked on the troll...? Anyone else see where this doesn't make sense. Maybe you should fish on days like today sure it's a bit windy but you can have that pod of dolphin all to yourself.

Upvote 0