Water in Lower Unit

TsTime

May 9, 2006
IB
Name
Gary
Boat Name
37' Strike Walk Around
After replacing prop to 4 blade on 225 evinrude I noticed gear lube seeping from prop shaft, less than 1/2 oz. Proceeded to pull fill screw and captured about an oz of emulsified lube, damn it water has intruded. Lower unit serviced by mobile marine mechanic maybe 15 hrs of use ago. Question is can I run and change lube frequently for a few months ? I know I need to get it taken care of but not ready to do right now. Would like to use the boat until december. Please respond

Upvote 0

Saluki

May 10, 2003
HB
Name
Mika Tan
Boat Name
"MoorZilla"
DO NOT screw around once you find water in your lower unit.

Not spending a couple hundred now to have it fixed can and most of the time will end up costing you thousands of dollars in the near future.

Consider yourself lucky that you caught the water down there and have it fixed..... many are not as fortunate as you.

Upvote 0

umoa

silent
Feb 28, 2006
unknown
Name
jimmy
Boat Name
18' starcraft "big knockers"
if you were running that in the water what would it look like? would there be bubbles coming out of said leaking area?

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
www.yayacalls.com
Name
Stefan
Boat Name
Grady White 263 Chase
What often happens is the lower seal around the shaft starts to go and when the lower unit heats up a little while you're running to your first spot. You sit there and fish the unit can cool off and suck in water.

My advice to you I get if fixed immediately, changing out a few seals is nothing compared to replacing a lower unit.

Upvote 0

MATTANZA

WESTCOASTSPREADERBARS.COM
Advertiser
Aug 23, 2004
Offshore 32* 42 / 119* 08
Name
RICK
Boat Name
Boston Whaler 25' Outrage "MATTANZA II", 34' Radovcich "AMY ANNE" {when it needs to be fixed}
have you had any fishing line around your prop? it can ruin the shaft seal... you have a bad shaft seal. get it fixed, before you have real problems.

Upvote 0

Saluki

May 10, 2003
HB
Name
Mika Tan
Boat Name
"MoorZilla"
if you were running that in the water what would it look like? would there be bubbles coming out of said leaking area?

Jimmy, you cannot tell when its leaking unless you check you lower unit oil & its milky.
It's always a good idea to periodically check your lower unit to make sure your oil looks like oil. Because if you wait until you hear a problem, them you've waited too long. $$$$$$

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 19, 2003
San Pedro, Ca.
www.yayacalls.com
Name
Stefan
Boat Name
Grady White 263 Chase
Just about every manufacturer recommends replacing a water pump yearly, so this is when you pressurize the lower unit to make sure it's water tight

Upvote 0

TsTime

May 9, 2006
IB
Name
Gary
Boat Name
37' Strike Walk Around
Jimmy, out of the prop shaft with motor in down position there was a trail of oil. It was dis colored, I knew I had a problem so I pulled the filler screw and sure as shit creamy colored oil.

No fishing line, had this problem before, had mobile mechanic pull lower unit, re seal impeller etc. no problems.

Put the new 4 blade S/S prop on (better preformance and efficiency) ran max 15 hrs and WTF oil again.

Will take into shop next week, ergh

Upvote 0

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat Name
Aquasport 222 FFV
May want to look for the simple things first. This happened to me and I purchased a seal kit for the entire lower unit. It turned out to be just the screw gasket on the fill and vent holes.

Also, it's not really a do or die immediately. You can change the fluid every time you go out until you can find the time/funds to have it worked on. 3 or 4 trips arnt going to kill it. Just make sure you always change the fluid after the trip not before.

And, replacing the prop seal and other seals for that matter is not too difficult. You can save considerable cash doing it yourself and learn a lot about your motor which could help in the long run when a mechanic is not available in the middle of nowhere.

Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2010
San Diego
Name
Rg
Boat Name
18' Aluminum Starcraft CC
As a do-it-yourself project, do you need a "Mercury sterndrive manual" to change the lower seals or is simple enough for a mechanically inclined knuckle head?

Upvote 0

JUST-IN-TIME

BORN TO FISH NOT CATCH
Sep 23, 2004
MOBILE MARINE TECH WORLD WIDE!!!
www.justintimemarine.com
Name
RICH-E-RICH
Boat Name
22' GRADY WHITE JUST-IN-TIME
As a do-it-yourself project, do you need a "Mercury sterndrive manual" to change the lower seals or is simple enough for a mechanically inclined knuckle head?

The manuals are on line for free if you search enough

I would buy one

Upvote 0

Derby

Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat Name
Aquasport 222 FFV

Yes you should have a manual anyway!!!

The $50 quote is a great deal, especially if it includes parts! What seals are included in this? All or just the prop seal?

If the bearing carrier pops out easy your looking at an hour min and up to 2-3 if it doesn't. So even if it is just labor I would do it if you are uncomfortable with the DIY.

Upvote 0

reellady

I'd rather be catching TUNA
Aug 26, 2011
fresno, ca usa
Name
donna
Boat Name
reel lady
you need a seal kit.......2 seals are back to back..........water does not lubricate therefore do not run again until fixed........cheaper to replace seals than to buy another lower unit. Do it now......

Upvote 0

reellady

I'd rather be catching TUNA
Aug 26, 2011
fresno, ca usa
Name
donna
Boat Name
reel lady
also, you mentioned an impeller change.........impeller is on your drive shaft...........it's the prop shaft that needs the seals.......

Upvote 0

Derby

Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat Name
Aquasport 222 FFV
also, you mentioned an impeller change.........impeller is on your drive shaft...........it's the prop shaft that needs the seals.......

There is also a seal under the water pump on the drive shaft.

As stated earlier, if your going to pay someone to do it, do all of them. A seal kit is only $30. Plus the cheap labor offered and you are good for another 5-10 years.

Upvote 0