BrianBurchfield

Almost A Member
  • Apr 26, 2018
    Irvine
    Name
    Brian Burchfield
    Boat
    22’ Trophy CC
    Deckhand almost cost your buddy a few hundred, a headache, and 20 seconds of embarrassment before anger sets in, but "won't mention boat name"....

Wow. No wonder bad behavior continues... :Beat_Them:idiot:

Reactions: plj46 and ol' salt
    Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Deckhand almost cost your buddy a few hundred, a headache, and 20 seconds of embarrassment before anger sets in, but "won't mention boat name"....

Wow. No wonder bad behavior continues... :Beat_Them:idiot:
    🖖

Upvote 0

calbrewguy

Jul 12, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Randy
    Boat
    None
    jspana -- It's not a fleetwide problem, it's a boat/captain problem. And it can be dealt with by the DFW. Call the CalTip number and describe specifically what you saw. A local warden will go have a talk with that captain. No citation, just a talk, letting him know that the situation has been noticed by his customers and perhaps he (and I said "he" because I've never heard of a female captain, and there are some excellent ones in California, allowing this behavior) needs to remind his deck crew to be careful about how they are measuring the fish. And usually the problem is quickly solved.

Back in my day there was a half-day boat running from one of the landings in my region, and the captain was determined to keep his counts up to keep the people coming. This was when the local landings reported their totals to the LA Times and Santa Ana Register every day, and it was usually printed. So we would get complaints about such behavior, and go have the talk. He would promise to "talk to the crew, it won't happen again" and we would shake hands and go away. And a couple of weeks later we would start getting the reports again.

So several of us set up a schedule, and we took turns meeting his boat at the dock almost every day, on the weekends twice a day. Nobody got off the boat until we checked licenses and fish. At first, we had so many violations to write after the morning run that the afternoon run was late getting off of the dock. Then after he realized that we were serious, we weren't going to let him get away with it, he asked us to PLEASE stop showing up at the dock, it was scaring off some of his customers, didn't we have other boats to check, why were we picking on him? He complained to the Lieutenant and got nowhere. We also talked with the landing operator, who I guess also talked with the captain.

So after a couple of weeks the problem had stopped, so we told him that we would be doing only spot checks from time to time, like before, as long as we didn't get more calls from the public. And he held us, as before, in complete contempt because how dare we interfere with how he ran his boat and crew? But we hit him in the wallet, and he learned that it would happen again, and so he modified his behavior -- he started lying about his counts
    jspana -- It's not a fleetwide problem, it's a boat/captain problem. And it can be dealt with by the DFW. Call the CalTip number and describe specifically what you saw. A local warden will go have a talk with that captain. No citation, just a talk, letting him know that the situation has been noticed by his customers and perhaps he (and I said "he" because I've never heard of a female captain, and there are some excellent ones in California, allowing this behavior) needs to remind his deck crew to be careful about how they are measuring the fish. And usually the problem is quickly solved.

Back in my day there was a half-day boat running from one of the landings in my region, and the captain was determined to keep his counts up to keep the people coming. This was when the local landings reported their totals to the LA Times and Santa Ana Register every day, and it was usually printed. So we would get complaints about such behavior, and go have the talk. He would promise to "talk to the crew, it won't happen again" and we would shake hands and go away. And a couple of weeks later we would start getting the reports again.

So several of us set up a schedule, and we took turns meeting his boat at the dock almost every day, on the weekends twice a day. Nobody got off the boat until we checked licenses and fish. At first, we had so many violations to write after the morning run that the afternoon run was late getting off of the dock. Then after he realized that we were serious, we weren't going to let him get away with it, he asked us to PLEASE stop showing up at the dock, it was scaring off some of his customers, didn't we have other boats to check, why were we picking on him? He complained to the Lieutenant and got nowhere. We also talked with the landing operator, who I guess also talked with the captain.

So after a couple of weeks the problem had stopped, so we told him that we would be doing only spot checks from time to time, like before, as long as we didn't get more calls from the public. And he held us, as before, in complete contempt because how dare we interfere with how he ran his boat and crew? But we hit him in the wallet, and he learned that it would happen again, and so he modified his behavior -- he started lying about his counts to the newspapers. But that isn't illegal, so we rolled our eyes and let it go. And eventually enough people noticed that their experience on the boat and what was reported didn't tally, and complained to the newspapers, and in time the newspapers stopped reporting the fish counts.
    Glad to know the fish cops read these forums. It was nice when news papers tried to print the truth, wasn't it?
    the newspapers. But that isn't illegal, so we rolled our eyes and let it go. And eventually enough people noticed that their experience on the boat and what was reported didn't tally, and complained to the newspapers, and in time the newspapers stopped reporting the fish co

Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    surfgoose said:

"It's not a fleetwide problem, it's a boat/captain problem. And it can be dealt with by the DFW. Call the CalTip number and describe specifically what you saw. A local warden will go have a talk with that captain."

Several years back, DFW did a sting on a boat, went several times and witnessed throwing extras overboard, etras giong to a fish and chips place, all because one time they got into the humble squids, and dudes were tossing em in the dumpster, cause they didn't know how to cleen them, and the boat got reported, the skip did some time.
    LSD

Upvote 0

sealskinner

Retired Pimp
  • Apr 24, 2005
    in the Hood
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Franks ho
    I fish with Fred on the DD often. I know the deck crew well. If a fish that comes over the rail that isn't obviously legal. They get measured. No bullshit with undersized fish.
    I wouldn't be so quick to blame the deckies for the bag addition. Somebody could have easily caught that fish an placed it in somebody's bag, thinking it was legal.

Reactions: dsl
    Upvote 0

Ducksnpucks

Almost A Member
  • Feb 22, 2021
    Long Beach, Ca
    Name
    Ducks
    Boat
    None
    Not so much of a fish report but more of a warning. I just got off a 3/4 day trip (won’t mention boat name) but we started off fishing skulpion then made the run to Cat for the afternoon YT. As we get done fishing we start making our way home and we get stopped by dfg. They do the regular checks and start going through bags and next thing you know they pulled out 3/4 barely 7 inch skulpion. The officers were super cool about it, and like anything, they can tell just by talking to you the type of guy their dealing with. I’m unsure if they wrote tickets to the others but my buddy was on who got questioned, but the officers were cool and let him off with a warning. My buddy knows the regulations and was just on the trip for fun (he does 4-6 10+ day trips a year) so he’s definetely a veteran. But appearently the deckhands kept those small fish and threw them in his bag and i wouldn’t doubt if they did the others as well. So like i said this is just a warning but check your fish, you don’t want to get a ticket for a deckhands mistake..
    Thanks!
    -Logan

Another nonsense report, this deserves a non report, and it’s in the bitching category of the forums. Thank you mods!

Tugboat64
    Tugboat64
    Call it what you want, this thread brings attention to the issue and if you’ve got an issue with it then you’ve got some issues. The mods have literally commented on this thread regarding the issue; I think if it was an issue it would’ve been long gone
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0