Tugboat64

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2017
La Mirada/Whittier
Name
Logan
Boat
Wanting a bigger boat
Not so much of a fish report but more of a warning. I just got off a 3/4 day trip (won’t mention boat name) but we started off fishing skulpion then made the run to Cat for the afternoon YT. As we get done fishing we start making our way home and we get stopped by dfg. They do the regular checks and start going through bags and next thing you know they pulled out 3/4 barely 7 inch skulpion. The officers were super cool about it, and like anything, they can tell just by talking to you the type of guy their dealing with. I’m unsure if they wrote tickets to the others but my buddy was on who got questioned, but the officers were cool and let him off with a warning. My buddy knows the regulations and was just on the trip for fun (he does 4-6 10+ day trips a year) so he’s definetely a veteran. But appearently the deckhands kept those small fish and threw them in his bag and i wouldn’t doubt if they did the others as well. So like i said this is just a warning but check your fish, you don’t want to get a ticket for a deckhands mistake..
Thanks!
-Logan

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    On the handful of occasions each year that I take local daylight trips I always take a handful of colored zip ties in my tackle box. Although I usually release everything I catch on those trips, if it happens that a stray halibut or decent yellowtail gets snagged by me then I put the zip tie around the base of the tail before it gets bagged. And I check my gunny sack at least once per hour to make sure that it stays wet so it cools by evaporation, and I look into the bag and make sure that ONLY my fish are inside. Sometimes it will have a gift fish from a "generous" deckhand or other passenger, some people take it as a personal responsibility to fish for "boat limits" whether other fishermen want the fish or not. If we got inspected between my checks and something was in my bag that didn't belong, I have a defensible argument. What a humiliation if a former DFG officer was to get a ticket! Nope, never going to happen.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    On the handful of occasions each year that I take local daylight trips I always take a handful of colored zip ties in my tackle box. Although I usually release everything I catch on those trips, if it happens that a stray halibut or decent yellowtail gets snagged by me then I put the zip tie around the base of the tail before it gets bagged. And I check my gunny sack at least once per hour to make sure that it stays wet so it cools by evaporation, and I look into the bag and make sure that ONLY my fish are inside. Sometimes it will have a gift fish from a "generous" deckhand or other passenger, some people take it as a personal responsibility to fish for "boat limits" whether other fishermen want the fish or not. If we got inspected between my checks and something was in my bag that didn't belong, I have a defensible argument. What a humiliation if a former DFG officer was to get a ticket! Nope, never going to happen.
    GOOD IDEA AND GOOD INFO LOL

Reactions: surfgoose
    Upvote 0

Wasitrytofish

May 1, 2012
    Monrovia ca united states
    Name
    Glen Mitchell
    Boat
    Sea Fox 248 Commander
    That’s a lot of in necessary work on your part. to defend a bunch of dipshit pinhead deckhands not capable of doing what they are hired to do. Only in SoCal. Just my opinion of course.

Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    Did they have a descender on board? .... Maybe an effort to avoid the long string of dead reds from the boat?

Reactions: Tugboat64
    Tugboat64
    Tugboat64
    They sure did. we didn’t fish rockcod, it was all skulpion. there’s no lawful size limit on rockcod but common sense says 10inches+ unless you could send it down. (atleast to me)
    Upvote 0
    gettingbentwithbo
    gettingbentwithbo
    @Tugboat64 there is a size limit on both rockfish and sculpin.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

bazzturd

I fish in the ocean, not the internet
    Aug 7, 2008
    Westminster, CA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    2005 Grady White Seafarer 228 (no name yet)
    Hitting the sculpin grounds and then the island is the Enterprise or Victory. I just know from their 976 reports. They are just about the only boat's that do that all the time.

Reactions: Paulo Grandez
    Tugboat64
    Tugboat64
    Not entirely true, Weatern pride, freelance, enterprise, patriot, all did it
    Reactions: kevina
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Doesn't sound like a accident to me. What kind of moron puts short fish in someone else's bag? I'd be pissed.

Reactions: Tugboat64
    Upvote 0

dsl

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Undersized floaters are a waste of a fishery. It seems the fishery in the paticular area being fished is on it's way out, and is already depleated.

Upvote 0

Otto

Aug 1, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Floyd - Guy from Repo Man
    Boat
    19 SeaPro
    Deckhands just increasing the fish counts to keep the boat business good.

Reactions: plj46
    Upvote 0

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
    May 22, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    Halibut Howie
    Boat
    1987 Cabo 216/F150 "Have Not Blown-up Yet!"
    What wrong with small rockfish? They are much more tasty than their larger species. I usually give the big rockfish away and eat the small ones. I also fish for sanddads, my favorite eating fish.

As for calling deckhands nasty names, only shows the lack of maturity of the individuals in question. The deckhands get up early and stay late for very little money. You are responsible for what's in your bag not the deckhands or the people next to you. Be a man and stop blaming people for your mistake.

Reactions: Paulo Grandez

jspana

Cali*Co
    Jul 28, 2014
    laverne
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    Humble1 222 C-Hawk sport cabin
    Was on a boat out of SD on a 1/2 day for a family trip with a friends family just to help out and get them some fish to fry up.. On several occasions I was deckhanding clearly small fish and checking them on the ruler on the front bait tank when a paid deckhand would say here let me help with that then go "measure" it and come back and say "Wow just barely long enough, what # sack". He would give me that look like man if its within an inch its in the sack. Hard to just ignore it but im sure its a fleetwide problem. Still needs to stop tho.

Reactions: surfgoose
    Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    jspana -- It's not a fleetwide problem, it's a boat/captain problem. And it can be dealt with by the DFW. Call the CalTip number and describe specifically what you saw. A local warden will go have a talk with that captain. No citation, just a talk, letting him know that the situation has been noticed by his customers and perhaps he (and I said "he" because I've never heard of a female captain, and there are some excellent ones in California, allowing this behavior) needs to remind his deck crew to be careful about how they are measuring the fish. And usually the problem is quickly solved.

Back in my day there was a half-day boat running from one of the landings in my region, and the captain was determined to keep his counts up to keep the people coming. This was when the local landings reported their totals to the LA Times and Santa Ana Register every day, and it was usually printed. So we would get complaints about such behavior, and go have the talk. He would promise to "talk to the crew, it won't happen again" and we would shake hands and go away. And a couple of weeks later we would start getting the reports again.

So several of us set up a schedule, and we took turns meeting his boat at the dock almost every day, on the weekends twice a day. Nobody got off the boat until we checked licenses and fish. At first, we had so many violations to write after the morning run that the afternoon run was late getting off of the dock. Then after he realized that we were serious, we weren't going to let him get away with it, he asked us to PLEASE stop showing up at the dock, it was scaring off some of his customers, didn't we have other boats to check, why were we picking on him? He complained to the Lieutenant and got nowhere. We also talked with the landing operator, who I guess also talked with the captain.

So after a couple of weeks the problem had stopped, so we told him that we would be doing only spot checks from time to time, like before, as long as we didn't get more calls from the public. And he held us, as before, in complete contempt because how dare we interfere with how he ran his boat and crew? But we hit him in the wallet, and he learned that it would happen again, and so he modified his behavior -- he started lying about his counts to the newspapers. But that isn't illegal, so we rolled our eyes and let it go. And eventually enough people noticed that their experience on the boat and what was reported didn't tally, and complained to the newspapers, and in time the newspapers stopped reporting the fish counts.

Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Was easyer when fish were wacked and stacked on the way in.

Upvote 0

beerman1

Almost A Member
    Jul 14, 2014
    OC
    Name
    eric
    Boat
    triumph 17 CC
    years ago the DFG was boarded us at 22nd st a we docked. They wrote a few idiots for no licence. Ok I'm good with that. Then they wrote my buddy for having one short fillet. My buddy asked where the other short fillet was? There wasn't another short fillet in his bag. DFG wrote him anyway.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    You are responsible for what's in your bag not the deckhands or the people next to you. Be a man and stop blaming people for your mistake.
    That's ridiculous.What are you going to do stare at your gunny sack all day ?

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    No, you don't have to stare at your gunny sack all day. But you should glance into it at least once each hour as you go near it on your trip to get a new bait, to make sure that it is staying wet inside so that your fish are kept cool by evaporation. And also to make sure that you aren't getting any surprises.

Upvote 0