plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Does this guy even realize the counts have been very inconsistent the last few days ?

Reactions: I hate seals
Upvote 0

C-4 Fishing

Feb 4, 2014
Name
Dave
Boat
Kayak
Atleast he didn't miss the boat this time
Holy crap!!!!
I didn’t even realize this was the same guy.

To the OP, I really wish you the best of luck with everything but you have really gotta settle down. Not to be mean and I really mean this, maybe fishing is not your thing. It’s not for everybody and that does not make you any less of a person.

if you are going to continue this amazing experience that we are fortunate enough to have in our backyard, slow down, appreciate the water, the breeze, diesel smell, and go out to learn and when you do catch those amazing fish make sure that you post that up here as well.

Good luck on your future adventures

Dave

Upvote 0

Gum on the Deck

Squatch Stix Custom Rods
Feb 21, 2018
Grover Beach/Santa Barbara
Name
James
Boat
Definitely bigger and better
Your crew and captain are more than likely extremely disappointed on these days as well, and, of course, the ocean does not always provide! You can do all your research and listen to whatever donkeys on here have to say about how good or bad the fishing is. In reality the day you fish can be polar opposite of the day before and so on. I can confidently say that if you ask anyone who’s been around the industry long enough they will tell you there’s been more slow days than good days, and as mentioned before, it makes you more grateful for the good days. I’m done. Stop being a keyboard jerkoff, learn something from it, move on, and don’t bash a capt and crew because you were dealt the short end of the stick.

Upvote 0

Jiggermeister

May 27, 2012
San Diego
Name
David
Boat
None
There are only 2 great full day boats in San Diego. The 3rd best is the Liberty and the 4th is the Grande. The one that is usually heavily booked up is the 2nd best. The one that catches the most fish per passenger is the best boat. Everyone knows the top 2 boats so I won't mention them by name.
The Top Four is indisputable, but definitely ppl can disagree on the rankings. Also rankings change whether fishing the islands or going offshore, bc offshore I would put one of your top two, dead last among the Four😝.

Reactions: HighWildFree
Upvote 0
Sep 13, 2018
East County
Name
Rusty
Boat
Skipjack
It's probably not a good idea specially this day in age to blast some one on social media, the potential damage that may be caused is far out weighs the sort of sick satisfaction that you think you may get. Heck from what I've read it doesn't sound like your very savvy to begin with. Best of luck to ya.

Upvote 0

sickcat

Silverback
Aug 5, 2003
LA
Name
Kerry
Boat
Yellow spot
Your crew and captain are more than likely extremely disappointed on these days as well, and, of course, the ocean does not always provide! You can do all your research and listen to whatever donkeys on here have to say about how good or bad the fishing is. In reality the day you fish can be polar opposite of the day before and so on. I can confidently say that if you ask anyone who’s been around the industry long enough they will tell you there’s been more slow days than good days, and as mentioned before, it makes you more grateful for the good days. I’m done. Stop being a keyboard jerkoff, learn something from it, move on, and don’t bash a capt and crew because you were dealt the short end of the stick.

Certainly more slow days than great days catching.

One point not made yet is that everyone (even those too young to have experienced decades of fishing) need to realize is that the last 5 years have been the best fishing overall in maybe 70-80years if not more. Be thankful you are living and fishing in these times.

Upvote 0

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
  • Aug 6, 2016
    SoCal - Corona
    Name
    Christopher
    Boat
    I know a couple guys...
    20210828_185007.jpg

Upvote 0

popx5

Jun 27, 2008
    7000'
    Name
    Tom
    Boat
    Montauk
    Good thing you’re not a bow hunter… countless days without even seeing an animal, let alone a shooter. One in maybe 50 successful stalks that result in a SHOT. Busted by wind, unseen doe, movement, sound. 25% of those shots are probably misses.. jumped string, the fever, poor nocking point, unseen twig causes defection, countless other factors. Fishing is fucking easy… quit bitchin….

Upvote 0

Prince

Sep 25, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Prince
    Boat
    None
    Sounds like he is just frustrated and I can understand especially since he saved up for the trip. Sucks! One thing I've learned over the years is that the fishy boats don't need to advertise AND they get booked early. The majority of my trips are booked by February or March at the latest. I will occasionally jump on other boats but go just to get fresh air if the fish cooperate its a bonus. I realize this doesn't help much for day trips or overnights but a little research and planning will go a long way towards picking a boat. If it helps, I'm in the San Fernando Valley and I have a fair share of BFT, YT and DODO if you want I'm willing to share send me a PM.
    Very nice of you. Much respect.

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
    Mar 9, 2012
    Too far from water
    Name
    Beeulzebob
    Boat
    uh....
    Very nice of you. Much respect.
    As most of us here won’t hesitate to bust a guy’s chops, many will also be there to lend a helping hand.
    I really hope the OP doesn’t give up, and understands that’s just fishing sometimes. We’ve ALL been striped, and most have also had epic days. One has to understand that we all pay our dues, and have to just enjoy a day on the water. Fish or no fish, there’s always something to learn and take away from the day.

My very first overnight trip was on the NLA in 2007. Just missed the albacore by a couple days, and the boat only scratched a few yellowtail. I did not get any, but I learned how to tie better knots, and do it on a rocking boat. Made a couple friends, and just had a damn good time. No fish stung a little, but I learned a little something, and couldn’t wait to try it again.

Upvote 0

Derrick.Van

Mar 26, 2019
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Derrick Van
    Boat
    Don't got one
    After several bad misfortunes, failed attempts i finally was able to save up, get away and book a full day. Unfortunately on whta has to be the worst performing boat that day! i understand catching isnt guaranteed for everyone! But look at the fish counts! for that day Tues Aug 24 2021. Seems like every boat but ours caught $225 Plus for an all day ride! Should have taken a half day,! Even they caught way more fish. No other boats out on the route they chose . 10 min stop at small kelp pattys all day . and riding the rest, hours in between. No lie probably hit up over 10 patties . No bunks! Would have been nice to know. 1-2 fish for full day all boat! Crew was even making excuses before we went out. Already apologizing ,and not guaranateeing any fish? This is supposed to be an experienced capt from a well known landing? 70k fish sonar.... world renowned landing...Seems like they switch capts, just rip people off some slower days during the week? Seems like someone at the landing is taking unsuspecting customers for a ride literally! Way out middle of no were, no other boats out there for a reason. Not biting today ? B.S. Yes even half day had way higher counts. What gets me even more. They have the nerve to post a pic on ther FB page bragging about a dorado catch on that day, come book a trip! Acting like there was lots of action! not telling people thats like everything that got caught on that boat all day. Honestly i dont remember that particular catch? possibly didnt see it brought in . But i dont remember that passenger on that boat in that pic at all? Posted that comment yesterday they havent responded. Feel like a sweet scam ! Fill up a boat of unsuspecting fisherman like me ( dont go out there enough to know which boats are a total waste) Take them for a ride , who cares if they catch anything. I really dont remember that passenger. Am i wrong? they havent responded ? Seems like they switch capts, just rip people off some slower days during the week? While the real ones rest up for the weekends! Must say crew was pleasant and worked there ass off! Feel bad for them no tips from fish cleaning at all . Seemed as bummed out as the whole boat! Seawatch! Watchout! Heard some stories about that landing, didnt want to believe it! Such a dissapointment! What are your thoughts ?
    They definitely tried, fuel isn't cheap :0

Reactions: Ahkhuang
    Upvote 0

skelly1

• Jun 29, 2006
    Ramona
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    20' skipjack flybridge
    I got 4 dorado on that boat recently. Nothing is wrong with boat or captain. It's all about conditions, luck and skill. Helps if the skipper has people that can work together, pick the right bait and know what they are doing. Fish hard and listen to the crew. A lot of kelps have been dry offshore. Great boat, great crew. Great breakfast burritos and burgers. I will go again. No problem spending 225 ++ to get away from work and the internet and not have to worry about fixing/maintaining/cleaning my own boat. If you don't like fishing offshore, go fish the kelp beds or a local lake.

Upvote 0

backlashjack

Scallywag
  • May 14, 2007
    Alta Loma, CA
    Name
    Jackson
    Boat
    Sold the boat, now I just rent a stateroom on the EXCEL
    Awwww. No bunks on a 3/4 day? Heavens to Betsy, what to do?
    It's called fishing not catching for a reason. And you can't catch fish from a bunk.

Upvote 0

CI_SeaWolf

• Feb 13, 2006
    Camarillo, CA
    Name
    Tom Farrell
    Boat
    Wellcraft 22' W/A
    To the OP, I think that you are getting the picture. It is fishing, not catching. Even a great boat and crew have a tough day once in a while. These guys and gals are out there every day on short sleep and have to deal with all kinds of people. Think of this as a “teachable moment”. Most of us with a few years of fishing under our belts have had those no fish days….. also, I don’t ever remember a 3/4 day boat having bunks. I hope that you don’t get too discouraged and remember that just getting out there is good, a fish is an extra blessing.

Reactions: Ahkhuang
    Upvote 0

Clarioncat

Almost A Member
    Nov 14, 2010
    Cerritos, CA
    Name
    Matthew
    As many have said, learn to enjoy the moment. How would you have handled being surrounded by foaming bluefin all day without a bite? Happens all the time. Imagine riding 4 days down to Hurricane bank and finding it devoid of sign or complete shit conditions. It happens. Try your hand at White Seabass fishing and see how fun it is to be a football field away from another boat limiting out while your boat cant even scratch a fish. I have been on both sides of that equation. Yes I have caught yellowfin on an all day boat out of San Pedro for $80 in the last two years, I have also been on 2.5 day trip for $700 with no biters. What is more important is that you spend your time learning, talk to the deckhands while searchng all day(imagine how many questions you can ask during a slow trip) so one of these days you can up your percentage, it took me about 40 years to become a solid 5%'er. I have scratched one or two out of four or five total desired gamefish multiple times. Just so you can relate, I went on an all day the weekend after the tuna went wide off of Catalina a couple weeks ago knowing full well that the chances of that fish biting after getting pounded by everyone including the long range fleet was ill advised, but for me it was completely worth the $130 it cost me to roll them dice. There were a few spots of fish but they were on the move and skittish(also happens all the time). The key with angling is that in the end it does require at least a smidge of luck. That being said, there are infinite ways to increase the chance that luck occuring. One more thing I will leave you with, it's a lot like women, the fish can smell the despiration on you! As at least one poster commented, how tight is your actual game? Knots, casting, BAIT SELECTION. Knowing when to flyline even though yesterday they were all sinker rig fish. How is your ability to fish the jig. The list is endless........ As much as I hate to let you in on this...... As badly as you wanted to catch fish I will bet you everything I own that the captain and crew wanted to put you guys on fish more than you could ever imagine, much less fathom. There is a hell of a lot of wax on wax off before you get to where you envision yourself. If not I hear that that Santa Ana River Lakes is actually a "Sure thing" so that may be a better option for you at this point...... Oh yeah, your odds were already impaired by fishing a boat that does not specialize in offshore fishing. Try asking how you can up your game in the face of adversity and I'm sure you will get a much better response from the members of this group.

Last edited: