woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    ....."Snickers"....LMAO. After decades of sport boat / private boat fishing.... I just laughed. Sorry to be so indifferent.

Brother.... have you ever went hunting for "Big Game"...? If the "target" doesn t show up.... or you don't "find" any.... you go home with zero.

I too..... as with ALL BD Brothers.... have had to deal with this situation NUMEROUS TIMES in our angling careers. When YOU make the decisions....ie private boat.... you are "directly" responsible for those judgement calls... and the results. On a SportBoat.... your judgment call is "which boat". After that..... its destiny that takes place.

So my last question.... what would you do differently.... if you were going again?

Spoons

USCG Master
    Oct 21, 2004
    San Diego/SF Bay
    Name
    Capt. Erik
    Boat
    21' Center Console
    If you've been watching fish counts, why didn't you choose one of the more popular boats? Never even heard of the sea stryker or whatever.

sickcat

Silverback
    Aug 5, 2003
    LA
    Name
    Kerry
    Boat
    Yellow spot
    While it can be frustrating every day you struck out where you zagged when you should have zigged if you put in your time eventually you'll have the day when you load the boat with big ones while most of the fleet twiddled their thumbs.

Back in the day when Nick ran the NLA we often stayed away from the fleet and did pretty well. While there were plenty of days when we did struck out the days we loaded up were all the sweeter.

If following everyone else is your idea of a good gameplan then buy your own boat and chase the sportboats and see how well it works for you.

Upvote 0

yrd

BS on no pics ..!.,
    Jun 14, 2009
    Flux
    Name
    Ted
    Boat
    anything w/ HOOK-UP!!!
    TWO POSTS and both are rants!!!! You need to look in the mirror, stop drinking so much caffeine, and ask what am I doing wrong?

Try going on more trips, without the attitude, the fish know when your approach is tilted...

ps more popcorn please

W
    woodfish330
    ...laughing, Brother my first all day boat ride was with Nick on the NLA.... many decades ago. ZERO FISH for 30 guys...trolled all day.

Like you.... eventually.... I had many 10 fish days with him... later in my angling career. Still Love that boat...Nick and Mullet. BUT.... Thats just fishing.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
    OC
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    Spaghetti Madness
    I’ve been skunked on the San Diego twice, best all day in the fleet. And I’ve also had an awesome trip on the Sea Watch. But in general unless you ride a lot of boats, stay away from 1/2 day boats fishing full day offshore, they can be rough. Also, I’d avoid off shore completely. Paying your dues is part of the process.

Upvote 0

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    I feel like reports are always inflated. That's why I don't go on a trip based on a report. I go when I am able to go fishing on the best boat that I can get on.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    ....."Snickers"....LMAO. After decades of sport boat / private boat fishing.... I just laughed. Sorry to be so indifferent.

Brother.... have you ever went hunting for "Big Game"...? If the "target" doesn t show up.... or you don't "find" any.... you go home with zero.

I too..... as with ALL BD Brothers.... have had to deal with this situation NUMEROUS TIMES in our angling careers. When YOU make the decisions....ie private boat.... you are "directly" responsible for those judgement calls... and the results. On a SportBoat.... your judgment call is "which boat". After that..... its destiny that takes place.

So my last question.... what would you do differently.... if you were going again?
    Not often but ME TOO and most here

Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    but Kevin how many trips have you been on where they said you should of been out Yesterday with us, we killed them,
    its better to make the news , then read about it .
    THAT was a famous quote in Bruce Browns's surf movie ENDLESS SUMMER from my era..
    "You should have been here YESTERDAY" LOL

Upvote 0

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
    Sep 18, 2004
    Oside
    Name
    stu
    Boat
    skiff
    What are your thoughts ?
    When you do your research on boats. Look at a website that has consolidated data, like this one:

Or try Googling "976 fish reports". We were told not to post 976 links here.

Pull the historical data and make your choice.

In my quick research I looked at the 2 full day boats out of Seaforth on Aug 1,2,3. I see one boat out fishes the other boat on all three days.

Find a boat with good fish counts. Be aware, some boats are private charters, others are open party trips.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    Fishing can be fun. So can golf. If you have to save up just to go out on a short trip like that, then offshore fishing and golf are not for you at this stage of your life, they are too frustrating and expensive.

Try bowling.

W
    woodfish330
    ....and you can officially bring your "crying" towel.... and no one will notice.... as they are used for every game in Bowling. 😥
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

Ahkhuang

• Mar 11, 2021
    Los Angeles, California
    www.bdoutdoors.com
    Name
    Albert Huang
    Boat
    1975 Hatteras 36C
    TWO POSTS and both are rants!!!! You need to look in the mirror, stop drinking so much caffeine, and ask what am I doing wrong?

Try going on more trips, without the attitude, the fish know when your approach is tilted...

ps more popcorn please
    Atleast he didn't miss the boat this time

Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Alright....Alright... maybe we're All being too hard on the "noob". (Me as well).

DO YOU GET IT YET? Please....Say yes.... so we can end this "schooling" excersise. 3 or 4 posts
    ... said it all ..... everything else has been the hammer of justification. Just my 2 cents....

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    Upvote 0

Tunahead

• Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    THAT was a famous quote in Bruce Browns's surf movie ENDLESS SUMMER from my era..
    "You should have been here YESTERDAY" LOL
    In an all guys Assm.High School Movie, Bruce Brown debuted his BAREFOOT ADVENTURE live for us at Long Beach Jordan HS. In the middle the movie stopped, boo's rained, Bruce said QUIET something happened. Our Principle took the mike President Kennedy just shot in Dallas, everyone go home. Bruce came back later and showed the entire movie for us. Class act by him.
    Never forget that day.
    I forget bad fishing days!

M
    mike garrahan
    You must be a couple of years older than me. I was in 6th grade in Catholic school when Kennedy was shot. He was the first Catholic president in US history and it was a big deal for Catholics. They marched the entire school into the church to pray that morning.
    Back in the 60's they played Endless Summer all the time at the old theater in Seal Beach. I must have seen it 20 times.
    Upvote 0

caballo del mar

May 4, 2004
    San Diego,CA
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    32' Amato cabin
    The Sea Watch has had some good counts lately. Offshore, especially kelp hunting is hit or miss.Today they have 12 yft up to 50 lbs. That’s some quality. Don’t go on the longer trips right now. The fishing is a little slow and you would be crying.

Reactions: Ahkhuang
    Upvote 0

fishnfoool

May 17, 2013
    long beach
    Name
    Tony Nguyen
    Boat
    fishkillr
    There are only 2 great full day boats in San Diego. The 3rd best is the Liberty and the 4th is the Grande. The one that is usually heavily booked up is the 2nd best. The one that catches the most fish per passenger is the best boat. Everyone knows the top 2 boats so I won't mention them by name.

Upvote 0

Northeastfshman

I see OJ
  • Dec 20, 2008
    San Clemente
    Name
    Brett Weinberg
    Boat
    Parker 2120SCDV
    We go fisting all the time and spend way more than $225...

Gotta learn to enjoy the pain.

• Haha
    Reactions: SMYLEE and Ahkhuang
    Mr. DRE
    Mr. DRE
    I’m glad you used the words FISTING and PAIN in different sentences cause yeah that shit is nasty. I mean unless you are into that stuff but I guess if you pay 225 you must like it.
    Upvote 0