CAPTAIN | TEAM USUAL SUSPECTS
Has Moderator Powers
Sep 18, 2007
Seattle
Name
TOMMY DONLIN
Boat
DEFIANCE GUADALUPE 290 CORNIVOROUS
The folks at Mission Outdoors have published an update and explanation regarding the Washington Tuna Classic (WTC), shown in blue italics directly below.

WTC Update: Feb 14, 2020
Hello WTC Supporters,

We are excited to announce that our partners at Merino’s will be completing the processing of the 8799 pounds of albacore tuna donated during the 2019 WTC very soon. We want to thank Merino’s for their partnership and are looking forward to working with them again in 2020. We are also very excited to fill the local food banks in need of high-quality protein starting with the South Beach Foodbank in Westport.
We would also like to thank our 2019 winners for being patient with our winning payouts. This event is truly a team effort and your support has made it possible for us to properly care for the tuna and also made it possible for Merino’s to offer us their cost to process the tuna since they were able to tackle the job in the off season. In 2019, there was an unanticipated workload at Merino’s at the time of the tournament and we collectively agreed that the right thing to do for both Merino’s and the people employed there, would be to allow a delayed processing approach where this effort could be done at cost as well as help keep the processing staff busy in the off season. At the same time, payouts could not be provided prior to processing, in order to maintain the integrity of the rules. In 2020, we will work to secure real time processing and validate fish quality in order to expedite payouts.
We would also like to take this opportunity to congratulate Team Icemelter on winning the much sought after Pelagic Pot. This pot has not been awarded since Team Usual Suspects won it with a Yellowtail in 2011. As a result, the total pelagic side pot totaled $9,350. Prior tournament management did not earmark these funds in the event of a pelagic catch. As a result, there was a budget deficiency. In order to continue to provide our veterans with a quality experience, it was determined that we would not utilize funds going to support veterans in order to fund this payout. Frankly, it took hard work and perseverance by the team at Mission Outdoors to procure these funds and provide this payout.
Finally, we are looking forward to implementing new efficiencies in 2020 to include processing winning fish and executing payouts.
Thanks again for your support and we look forward to seeing you all in 2020.

The Mission Outdoors and Merino’s Team

My thoughts are as follows:
My team (TEAM USUAL SUSPECTS) and I won the most fish award at the 2019 WTC putting up 91 fish. MO contacted me along with the other captains and explained the situation. The decision was made to delay the processing so Merino's could 1. Take care of their primary customers and source of income and 2. provide winter time employment for their people who they usually let go. Given the fact that Merino's was doing this at cost and donating their services, I accepted the outcome. You could make the argument that I wasn't getting $2K+ (referring to the main pots, non pelagic) which is fair and its a small amount of cash regardless. I also know the volunteers at MO and never had any doubt they would make good on their promise. I knew that they were maintaining the rules and regulations set forth, which we have carried over for many tournaments. The fact that the processing was not done in a timely manner was unforeseen and unfortunate, nor will it happen again based on my discussions with the volunteer staff at MO.

With regards to the Pelagic Pot, the funds were never there to cover the payout, NOR were they there to run the tournament in general, as a result of prior mis-mgmt. Right now, the WTC does not pay for the amount of support and opportunities that are provided for our veterans and those in need that benefit from the food bank. It only works right now due to the major contributions from key donors that shall remain un-named upon request.

I pushed hard for a more immediate communication to the NON WINNING CAPTAINS and CREW and there is definitely opportunity there. However, as much as I love BD, its not an official form of communication for tournaments not run by BD. You all are free to PM or call me. I will do my best to answer questions and help fill any communication gaps. The WTC is still a very worthy cause both for our veterans and those in need. The board members and volunteer staff at MO are more dedicated to the WTC than ever before and I have full confidence in the future. I stand by them.

My hope is that, regardless of the delayed payouts and wild speculations, you will optimistically seek to understand the truth and you will support the Washington Tuna Classic so we have a means to continue to give back to our Veterans who have fought for our freedoms and give them a community to be a part of (post-war). I know the WTC allowed me to save one guy, Bret Defrancisco who is a life long friend, Brother, Groomsman, and part of our fishing community (has been since 2010).

TIGHT LINES!

~TOMMY

Last edited:

MarkColeman

Boat Slave
Advertiser
May 20, 2010
Westport, Snoqualmie, Los Suenos
www.AllWashingtonFishing.com
Name
Mark Coleman
Boat
16' Guide, 20' Scout, 29’ Defiance’s Elite, Ultra, Express Style, 31' Luhrs, 42’ Pilothouse
Looking good WTC!!! On to a new chapter. Team All Rivers & Saltwater Charters is signed up and ready to play!!!

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
The folks at Mission Outdoors have published an update and explanation regarding the Washington Tuna Classic (WTC), shown in blue italics directly below.

WTC Update: Feb 14, 2020
Hello WTC Supporters,

We are excited to announce that our partners at Merino’s will be completing the processing of the 8799 pounds of albacore tuna donated during the 2019 WTC very soon. We want to thank Merino’s for their partnership and are looking forward to working with them again in 2020. We are also very excited to fill the local food banks in need of high-quality protein starting with the South Beach Foodbank in Westport.
We would also like to thank our 2019 winners for being patient with our winning payouts. This event is truly a team effort and your support has made it possible for us to properly care for the tuna and also made it possible for Merino’s to offer us their cost to process the tuna since they were able to tackle the job in the off season. In 2019, there was an unanticipated workload at Merino’s at the time of the tournament and we collectively agreed that the right thing to do for both Merino’s and the people employed there, would be to allow a delayed processing approach where this effort could be done at cost as well as help keep the processing staff busy in the off season. At the same time, payouts could not be provided prior to processing, in order to maintain the integrity of the rules. In 2020, we will work to secure real time processing and validate fish quality in order to expedite payouts.
We would also like to take this opportunity to congratulate Team Icemelter on winning the much sought after Pelagic Pot. This pot has not been awarded since Team Usual Suspects won it with a Yellowtail in 2011. As a result, the total pelagic side pot totaled $9,350. Prior tournament management did not earmark these funds in the event of a pelagic catch. As a result, there was a budget deficiency. In order to continue to provide our veterans with a quality experience, it was determined that we would not utilize funds going to support veterans in order to fund this payout. Frankly, it took hard work and perseverance by the team at Mission Outdoors to procure these funds and provide this payout.
Finally, we are looking forward to implementing new efficiencies in 2020 to include processing winning fish and executing payouts.
Thanks again for your support and we look forward to seeing you all in 2020.

The Mission Outdoors and Merino’s Team

My thoughts are as follows:
My team (TEAM USUAL SUSPECTS) and I won the most fish award at the 2019 WTC putting up 91 fish. MO contacted me along with the other captains and explained the situation. The decision was made to delay the processing so Merino's could 1. Take care of their primary customers and source of income and 2. provide winter time employment for their people who they usually let go. Given the fact that Merino's was doing this at cost and donating their services, I accepted the outcome. You could make the argument that I wasn't getting $2K+ (referring to the main pots, non pelagic) which is fair and its a small amount of cash regardless. I also know the volunteers at MO and never had any doubt they would make good on their promise. I knew that they were maintaining the rules and regulations set forth, which we have carried over for many tournaments. The fact that the processing was not done in a timely manner was unforeseen and unfortunate, nor will it happen again based on my discussions with the volunteer staff at MO.

With regards to the Pelagic Pot, the funds were never there to cover the payout, NOR were they there to run the tournament in general, as a result of prior mis-mgmt. Right now, the WTC does not pay for the amount of support and opportunities that are provided for our veterans and those in need that benefit from the food bank. It only works right now due to the major contributions from key donors that shall remain un-named upon request.

I pushed hard for a more immediate communication to the NON WINNING CAPTAINS and CREW and there is definitely opportunity there. However, as much as I love BD, its not an official form of communication for tournaments not run by BD. You all are free to PM or call me. I will do my best to answer questions and help fill any communication gaps. The WTC is still a very worthy cause both for our veterans and those in need. The board members and volunteer staff at MO are more dedicated to the WTC than ever before and I have full confidence in the future. I stand by them.

My hope is that, regardless of the delayed payouts and wild speculations, you will optimistically seek to understand the truth and you will support the Washington Tuna Classic so we have a means to continue to give back to our Veterans who have fought for our freedoms and give them a community to be a part of (post-war). I know the WTC allowed me to save one guy, Bret Defrancisco who is a life long friend, Brother, Groomsman, and part of our fishing community (has been since 2010).

TIGHT LINES!

~TOMMY
Tommy, you have been a pretty solid guy, but have obvious bias on certain things and clearly this is one of them.

The previous post that mysteriously got deleted by someone.... Maybe you.... had a long, deliberate, and information filled post by you a month ago about exactly how many pounds, how many cans, and cost per can with a total price for processing and the canning was completely done a month ago.....

Then MO posts on Feb 14th 2020 that they are excited because they can finally finish processing.....

So..... either you were lying a month ago when you had an exact count with lots of information...... Or....... they are full of shit once again spilling film flam excuses that don’t add up......

BD didn’t have to be the place to address it, but it could have been truthfully addressed a long time ago on FB or wherever, but they chose to let it spin out of control.... I spoke with a potential sponsor who gave them straight advice about being transparent and advised them a month ago to step up and address the issue and own it and they did nothing.

Then a non board member posts that he was sure they had plenty of money and the money wasn’t the issue and now this.......

I know your trying to use you BD fame to help out the organization, but seriously it flies in the face of the truth! Wild speculations were not the issue, it was shady ass practices and stories that don’t add up, just like your current post...

There are so many inconsistencies I would have a hard time getting behind that and your post is about like watching the nightly news during the impeachment bullshit..... You are totally posting and endorsing something that completely contradicts your own previous post.

FishPimpII

Shopping for a boat...
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
Deckhand of "JuiceboxII" And soon to be captain of fishpimpiii
Agree with gspot on this one.
Tommy, something doesn’t add up with the Facebook posts asking for money to cover processing and conflicting claims by their board member about whether MO has the money.
We all enjoy the event and value the opportunity to give back to veterans but a little more transparency by someone connected to the event is needed here as your explanation does not completely line up with other credible info.

Cornfed

Has Moderator Powers
Sep 18, 2007
Seattle
Name
TOMMY DONLIN
Boat
@G-Spot Hey John. All statements are 100% accurate. Merino's is waiting on the labels to place on the cans and then the "canning" can be officially done and the tuna distributed. To be clear, the physical canning is complete. The labeling is not. Have a great weekend!

Cornfed

Has Moderator Powers
Sep 18, 2007
Seattle
Name
TOMMY DONLIN
Boat
@FishPimpII Jeff, feel free to identify what board member stmt you are referring to and I would be more than happy to try to connect dots for you. All information I have received regarding the canning has come via email communication from Merino's. Clarification provided directly above.

ledbed6b

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 21, 2010
Shoreline WA
Name
Eli
Boat
Parker 2320
Tommy, not trying to be a douche, but the mission outdoors statement is ambiguous with respect to the payouts, have they secured and distributed the winnings?

Reactions: RUNNOFT and Elkfins

RUNNOFT

Word of the Day: IceMelter
May 13, 2003
Orange County Kali
Name
OT - the Other Travis
Boat
Professional Boat Ho for now
@FishPimpII Jeff, feel free to identify what board member stmt you are referring to and I would be more than happy to try to connect dots for you. All information I have received regarding the canning has come via email communication from Merino's. Clarification provided directly above.
Jan 20, 2020
Nineball said:
I tried calling Ryan, scott, and Shannon, in that order.

voicemails for everyone, which I didn’t leave one. Tried 3x

let’s get this sorted out folks. It shouldn’t be a big deal, I know I ain’t nobody, but let’s not forget who stood on the podium last year.
First, let me apologize for not jumping in here and the delay in getting participants their winnings that are owed to them.

-I won't answer number I don't have saved in my phone. If there is no voicemail, it's not important and I won't return the call.

-Here is your short answer. The same one everyone was told at the event. Once fish are cleaned and checked to ensure everything and every fish is legit, payout will happen. That's not when one team is done that one team gets paid. For those that have thrown around the idea the MO/WTC doesn't have the funds, well I can tell you that is far from true. I talked with Ryan this evening, sounds like fish should be done by the end of the week. I know we were told November. but with the issues we had with Nort West Harvest and being lied to by them for years, this is where are.

-We are working on a process where winners can be paid out Sunday after the event. I hope this happens so people who spent their time and money on the event can get any winnings coming to them.

-the majority of the winners have been very understanding of the process for this. I'm sorry if you're not, we hope this won't be a issue again.

If you want to reach out, you have my number call me, text me, hit my up on Facebook messenger or hell even Instagram.

RUNNOFT

May 13, 2003
Orange County Kali
Name
OT - the Other Travis
Boat
There are three HUGE pieces of information that have not come out in any of these threads , which each are a bombshell of their own. Those of us with this information have not gone public, but if this goes on for much longer, with people jumping in to defend without a full grasp of the truth, it will become public.

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
I don't really have a dog in this fight but after reading MO's statement and your thoughts Tommy the obvious question to me is... if the funds were not there to issue the payout for the pelagic pot in the first place, why was this not disclosed to the teams at sign up?

dragonballs

I'm off probation
Mar 28, 2008
Arlington WA
Name
Vance
Boat
40' ocean sport fisher
Nice reply thanks ryan for clearing this up with a competent response

dragonballs

I'm off probation
Mar 28, 2008
Arlington WA
Name
Vance
Boat
40' ocean sport fisher
For one last time. What did off season canning have to do with paying a side pot that we have built up for years have to do with anything. God save the queen

Reactions: G-Spot

Cornfed

Has Moderator Powers
Sep 18, 2007
Seattle
Name
TOMMY DONLIN
Boat
Tommy, not trying to be a douche, but the mission outdoors statement is ambiguous with respect to the payouts, have they secured and distributed the winnings?
No worries. Per my discussions with MO, the non-pelagic pot checks should be sent within the next 3 weeks. I know they are trying to verify the addresses of 2 teams (and maybe their members?). The pelagic pot should be paid out in March. I don't have any more specifics than that.

FishPimpII

Shopping for a boat...
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
Deckhand of "JuiceboxII" And soon to be captain of fishpimpiii
Again. I hope all this works out for the best but i defer to what runoff quoted. Perhaps board members is the wrong word but the individual on the previous thread that claimed to be speaking for the WTC doesn’t match with what you are saying, nor does it match with the requests for funds posted by MO folks on Facebook.

Reactions: RUNNOFT

RUNNOFT

May 13, 2003
Orange County Kali
Name
OT - the Other Travis
Boat
No worries. Per my discussions with MO, the non-pelagic pot checks should be sent within the next 3 weeks. I know they are trying to verify the addresses of 2 teams (and maybe their members?). The pelagic pot should be paid out in March. I don't have any more specifics than that.
And yet we were told by two MO directors that the pelagic pot was the first to be paid out....that's interesting you have different information as a non WTC director.