Washington Gobbler

electric1

Jul 9, 2007
La Habra
Name
James
Boat
yak
I decided to take a trip to visit my parents near Spokane, WA and do some turkey hunting and fishing. I arrived a couple days before season opened so I was just watched all the turkeys looking for the one I wanted. On opening day I setup my blind and began calling for them. I had a lot of replys, but I had a hard time getting them to come in. I think it was due to all of the hens they had around them. I watched a lot of smaller tom's although mature, I really had to have patience because I knew that the big mature toms were out there. I really felt spoiled with all the choices I had compared to huniting in California. I re-setup my blind on the path they were traveling and finally found the toms I wanted. The tom is chose to harvest was the largest tom I had ever seen, but only had a little over 9" beard, but weighed in at 32.3lbs. The beard also looked like it had been cut down a bit, maybe due to a fight? Now that I have harvested my bird it's time to do a little fishing even though I am itching to get some yellows down south.

Attachments

• 100_1194.jpg
    100_1194.jpg
    587.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 100_1188.jpg
    100_1188.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 100_1196.jpg
    100_1196.jpg
    664.1 KB · Views: 41
Upvote 0

widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
Jan 12, 2010
Kurt's neighborhood
Name
Tony
Boat
Tarpon 140
Nice work. Glad to hear some one is getting them, even if it's out of state.
Your dog is a carbon copy of mine.

Attachments

• DSC01081.jpg
    DSC01081.jpg
    636.8 KB · Views: 43
Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    :eyepoppin: Did you say 32.3 lbs.? Good grief that's a freakin monster. I think I'd have run away thinking an Ostrich was after my ass....:eek:
    What gauge shotgun is that? The barrel looks skinny in the pic.........

Upvote 0

GLASS PADDY

Invisible Man
    Feb 16, 2009
    ABOUT 20 FEET UP
    Name
    DOUG
    Boat
    GLASS PADDY
    Nice Marriams,By the blood on the tail and the part in the feathers it looks like you shot it strait on in the face.Good one.

Upvote 0

widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
    Jan 12, 2010
    Kurt's neighborhood
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Tarpon 140
    :eyepoppin: Did you say 32.3 lbs.? Good grief that's a freakin monster. I think I'd have run away thinking an Ostrich was after my ass....:eek:

That appears to be the new .410 magnum with a 6" chamber. Great turkey gun.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    That, he did! It does sort of look like a 20. Hard to tell from the photo, but whatever it is, it did the job.

I'm thinking it might even be smaller than a 20. I'm not sure if a production 870 Express 28 was made though :confused:
    Hopefully, he'll clear it up for us....Certainly doesn't look to be a 12 though..

Upvote 0

widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
    Jan 12, 2010
    Kurt's neighborhood
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Tarpon 140
    I'm thinking it might even be smaller than a 20. I'm not sure if a production 870 Express 28 was made though :confused:
    Hopefully, he'll clear it up for us....Certainly doesn't look to be a 12 though..

It does appear to be a pinner, but who the fu*! shoots a 28? Ammo costs more than the gun.

Upvote 0

electric1

Jul 9, 2007
    La Habra
    Name
    James
    Boat
    yak
    Did you say 32.3 lbs.? Good grief that's a freakin monster. I think I'd have run away thinking an Ostrich was after my ass....:eek:

Yep 32.3lbs I had many shots on other birds, but my dad insisted to be patient and said there were some huge birds out there and boy was he right. I didn't know they got that big. We heard from a neighbor that someone took a 5 bearded tom with a total of 24" last week from the area. Don't know how legit that info is, but I have only heard of a double bearded bird. Anyone heard of more than a double? The shotgun I used was a Remington wingmaster 12g. I know there are much better Turkey guns out there, but I like this gun for all around use. I had a beautiful head shot at around 20 yards, very quick kill.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Thanks for the reply!
    I'm amazed that the gun in the pic is a 12 Wingmaster...It looks like an 870 Express(which I am a faithful owner of) with a skinny barrel. Just shows how pics can be misleading.
    Prolly a good thing that wasn't a pic of a big fish that looked small in the pic LOL
    I've heard of Turkeys with more than 2 beards. But, I don't recall hearing of a 32# bird. I wonder what the record weight is???
    Trophy, trophy, trophy bird....

Upvote 0

electric1

Jul 9, 2007
    La Habra
    Name
    James
    Boat
    yak
    I think the record is 38-40lbs or something around there. That is a huge huge bird. The wingmaster is really just an upgraded 870 express so I can see why it would look like it.

Upvote 0

electric1

Jul 9, 2007
    La Habra
    Name
    James
    Boat
    yak
    Nice outfit. Did you wear shorts and a T-shirt when you shot them???? ;)

Actually yeah I did! LOL I wore that green shirt to blend in a little with the blind and I also had a camo hat with a camo net over my head. We were having a hot spell up here so I said what the hell.

Upvote 0

widgeon

Ex-Hunter and gatherer
    Jan 12, 2010
    Kurt's neighborhood
    Name
    Tony
    Boat
    Tarpon 140
    Actually yeah I did! LOL I wore that green shirt to blend in a little with the blind and I also had a camo hat with a camo net over my head. We were having a hot spell up here so I said what the hell.

WTG! Camo or not, you got it done.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Yeah, when I hunt gobblers, I wear camo from the waist up and nothing below. Just sit on a 18", black , rubber ball and pretend I'm the decoy.:frehya2:

I had you figured for a knob gobbler right off....:Kick_emoticon:

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
    Oct 20, 2008
    San Marcos
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    Sportboat
    Yep 32.3lbs I had many shots on other birds, but my dad insisted to be patient and said there were some huge birds out there and boy was he right. I didn't know they got that big. We heard from a neighbor that someone took a 5 bearded tom with a total of 24" last week from the area. Don't know how legit that info is, but I have only heard of a double bearded bird. Anyone heard of more than a double? The shotgun I used was a Remington wingmaster 12g. I know there are much better Turkey guns out there, but I like this gun for all around use. I had a beautiful head shot at around 20 yards, very quick kill.

I saw a pic of a bird with four beards. :smoking33::smoking33::smoking33::smoking33:

Upvote 0