Was Worried, But Excellent Service Done! - Tern 600XN

Joe Somontan

Nov 12, 2018
Fontana, California
Name
Joe Somontan
Boat
Morning Star
So last Friday I was setting up my brand new reel to have 15lbs of drag as I was going to put 50lb line on it for casting out lures, jigging, etc. as I have an upcoming fishing trip Friday on the Tribute that leaves Thursday evening. I always like to test my gear well in advance. I only used the setup once and only caught small Calicos on it. As I was setting the drag, the reel and rod just popped up like crazy. Found that the reel exploded inside; whatever happened...the drag was all messed up. I called Accurate that day and they said bring it in and we'll fix it right away! I left the reel there over the weekend. I got a call from Kelly and the reel was ready to be picked today(Wednesday). I did test my reel several times to make sure there were no issues; there were none. Thanks to the folks at Accurate for the excellent customer service and quick fix! You guys are awesome! Hoping to get some big fish on the reel soon!

Cheers,

+ Joe

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
I'd like to know what's going on with these reels.

I got one and i have to pin the drag to get even close to 20lbs.

Rather just have parts and instructions to fix it. Seems a not uncommon issue.

Guess I have to send it in.

Reactions: carnage007

Joe Somontan

Nov 12, 2018
Fontana, California
Name
Joe Somontan
Boat
Morning Star
Well on the work order, the spool and spool rod was replaced. I would definitely send it in for them to troubleshoot the exact cause you're seeing. Don't try to do the guess work on your time. I haven't checked my drag if it can do 20lbs but I can say that with 15lbs, it's pretty consistent. I originally set it for 6-7 lbs drag since I was using 20lb leader line on it before it popped.

Possibly for all the new Tern owners... They should set the drag at different levels to make sure there's nothing wrong with the reel.

In the end, I'm glad it's fixed. I've never experienced a failure like that before but I'm glad Accurate was able to resolve the issue quickly with minimum pain. Corona is somewhat close to me; I live in Fontana.

+ Joe

Last edited:

abj5150

Service Manager, Advisor and Customer Support.
Advertiser
Sep 18, 2012
USA
Name
Al
Boat
Whatever I can get on
So last Friday I was setting up my brand new reel to have 15lbs of drag as I was going to put 50lb line on it for casting out lures, jigging, etc. as I have an upcoming fishing trip Friday on the Tribute that leaves Thursday evening. I always like to test my gear well in advance. I only used the setup once and only caught small Calicos on it. As I was setting the drag, the reel and rod just popped up like crazy. Found that the reel exploded inside; whatever happened...the drag was all messed up. I called Accurate that day and they said bring it in and we'll fix it right away! I left the reel there over the weekend. I got a call from Kelly and the reel was ready to be picked today(Wednesday). I did test my reel several times to make sure there were no issues; there were none. Thanks to the folks at Accurate for the excellent customer service and quick fix! You guys are awesome! Hoping to get some big fish on the reel soon!

Cheers,

+ Joe
Thank you for your positive feedback. Always appreciated. Tight lines.

abj5150

Service Manager, Advisor and Customer Support.
Advertiser
Sep 18, 2012
USA
Name
Al
Boat
Whatever I can get on
Sounds like Accurates ARB Bearing failed?
It was definately not an ARB problem. We have not had one of our stainless ARB bearings fail yet and I have literally dealt with hundreds of reels that were in for service.

Reactions: rexor_rn