Was 0 for 4 this year...Not anymore...

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Triple555, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Triple555

Triple555 Captain

Name:
    Justin
    Boat:
    23 Seaswirl "Seasquirrel"
    Short: 3 Yellowfin to 65# and 1 BFT 100# !!!!!!

Long: Went early this year on big boat, April or May...saw 5 boils all day and had a day n half boat ride (that was fun)... Went w Matt on his new Davis to SD for 2 full days @ the 43....saw em, but no biters (got 2 knock down YFT on way hm :) ).......went to SCI/Desperation 5 weeks ago or so, rough weather, had only dines, no bites......went tuna fishing below and all around Cat about 3 weeks ago, saw em but no biters (eating tiny fin bait, what a surprise ha)....this past week, weather looked great, and we knew there was squid in the receivers!!!

Trailered down to Pedro and Mike hooked us up...thx Mike/SP bait! Off we went to SCI thur nite...smooth ride all way out....tied up all rods and put the drag scale on them too!! Up Friday (10/8) 5am and out to Desperation spot.....saw nothing on meter and no one hooked up....Navy booted everyone out 8am (supposed to be 7am) and I got the helicopter to say they'd be done at 12pm....cool, we'll come back then.....proceeded to front side of island to see about some critters, bass, bones and yt....no yt....about 30 mins into crusing around, I had seen a 6 pack outta SD "stop" about 4 miles out and he was still there...gotta go investigate.....roll up and now another boat is there and each has 1 guy bent over.....saw dolphin....rolled up in front and threw bait.....my squid was inhaled in about 3 seconds....bit....ON bro......15 mins later, 65# Yellowfin!!! Giddy up!!! that was 80 braid to 40 mono to 40 fluoro. Got in front of the ponies again and bame, on again....hand it to Michael and its 45# Yellowfin......next stop we both hook up and his bites thru his line about 20 seconds in....I land mine and its 50ish!!!! Stoked.....now there's 6 boats chasing the ponies and and we try twice more for no bites and figure they're done biting...we got 3 in the bag and beyond stoked!!!! My goal this summer was to land something that bottomed out my 50lb scale I carry!!! Mission accomplished!!! 65# on the digital.

Ok, so now we're 1/3 way to Cat (10 miles off SCI) and have a decision to make...goto Cat stoked w a great catch....or, go back to SCI and try for BFT like we wanted....hmmmm....well I said lets go back for sundown/pm bite cause we have the bait and the weather is supposed to be epic, plus we can fish sat am if we have/want to...

Kinda blowing n rocking on Desparation area so we go in to Pyramid and anchor up for lunch n bass n maybe a yt.....cooked up some meatballs and chilled out while the wind blew some off China Pt 10 kts....never hooked a yellow but the bass were chewing....maybe napped 10 mins and about 430pm, pulled the hook and decided to head west of Desparation to another spot.....never been there....saw 1 boat drifting on ride up....no marks, no birds, no surface activity....spun on the #'s I had punched in and set 1 down deep, my balloon short and Michael's balloon deep, way back......I don't know, 3 or 4 mins in his rod goes bendo!!!!!!!!!!! wtf....we're ON!!!!!!! Once it realized it was hooked, it was pissed!! Ok, so I start to get a little nervous when I see he's on an MXL single speed, 65 braid to 40 mono to 40 fluoro.....w a swivel in between the mono and fluoro (1 oz slider above the swivel).....he tied 3 Palomar knots and allbright to spectra (good job bro).....here we go......1 hour in we had traded probably 4 or 5x already and got it to color once......then I decided to drive the boat on him and back down....it really helped....kept Michael in the corner and started gaining more line than before.....sun is going down, 3 kt breeze and this beast is Not giving up!!! I drove the boat for the last 40 mins to get him close....still can't believe "murphy" hasn't snapped something on us or the beast hasn't busted free.....30 feet to go....line almost caught on prop 10x cause of big death cirlcles....stick the gaff and pull him in.......&*%$# me.......we got 1...

glassy all night in Pyramid, slept like babies...

1 hour 45 mins fight
    Fish of a lifetime
    Epic trip.....retired for now....tight lines all
    Capt JT out...

BFT.jpg Tuna (2).jpeg Tuna (2).jpg

FISHINPOC, Dallas33, oniedab and 23 others like this.
  2. cbadcrew

cbadcrew Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    joeb1
    Boat:
    2520 PKR The Slaughterhouse
    Sweet
    When was this?
    Or did I miss that?

3. Randy V

Randy V Slamma Jamma

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    30' Kona Star
  4. IrieMitch

IrieMitch Waterman

Name:
    Mitch
    Boat:
    Captain of Fight On (55 Viking)
    Perseverance pays off!

5. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    NICE ONES GUYS! Like I say "You never know, unless you GO" LOL

6. aronchovy

aronchovy Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    aaron
    Boat:
    thresher boats/hobie outback
    awesome! congrats! i was so tempted to do the same thing when i heard pedro had squid last week. but then i remembered i have a skiff.

7. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    "....Friday (10/8) ...."

8. mik911

mik911 Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    9'6" longboard
    WOW. Trip of a lifetime!!
    Well done!

9. Ryan Gay

Ryan Gay Member

Name:
    Joe Ski
    Boat:
    19.5 deep v cuddy "OUT TO LUNCH"
    That's been my count this year on the tuna. Maybe I will give it a couple more trys before I change my boat's name to "TUNA KNOT SEE". Excellent results.
    If I caught fish like that, maybe" CIAO TIME "

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  10. eddiefishtaco

eddiefishtaco Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    EDDIE
    Boat:
    sold
    Great job! to big or go home.
    I can imagine the pain fighting the Yellowfin

11. pappyhat

pappyhat Pappy