Warrior Fishing Trip Idea

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by ChupacabraMB, Nov 17, 2009.

1. ChupacabraMB

ChupacabraMB Newbie

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    2301 Seaswirl W/O Yamaha 115 X2
    Several months ago, I had the pleasure of joining many other BDers for a Warrior Fishing Trip. As part of this trip, around forty Marines and twenty captains enjoyed a Friday night BBQ meal and a great Saturday on the water. This trip involved a lot of planning, a few snags, and a lot of time and effort. All of which were rewarded by a bunch of smiling Marines having a good time.

I would like to initiate a simpler ongoing version of the Warrior Fishing concept. The main objective of this program will be to get as many soldiers out on the water fishing as possible. I am open to any ideas and/or suggestions and hope to get others to participate as well.

Here is the concept:
    On the first Saturday of each month, my boat and whoever else can join me will meet at the Dana Landing Ramp and take soldiers fishing. We'll get a boat count the week before and put together some Marines to go fishing.

Last time, we had some "issues" with the money that was donated. I don't want the Marines to have to pay for licenses and I am sure that all of the captains could use some help with bait and gas money. Does anybody have an idea of how we could collect and distribute funds for these item? I look forward to everyone's ideas and seeing you all on the water.

2. fishnfool

fishnfool Member

Name:
    Kevan
    Boat:
    IMAHO
    Good to see someone stepping up. I think once a month will be tough to pull off. It is a lot of work. Finding sponsors every month can be difficult at best, especially with this economy. Things will probably get a little smoother with each event, but the amount of time and effort remains the same and can be very taxing on all involved. I think quarterly would be a good place to start and you can build from there. Maybe a couple charters thrown in the mix as well. Stop by the Temecula store if you get a chance. We can talk more there if you like. To many things to type. LOL Oh yeah...the books have to be open to basically anyone that asks to see them...there has to be accountability on the funds/donations, and dispersement of same.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  3. johnnylite

johnnylite Never too late to change.

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Triumph 210cc
    It seems the money is the root of the problem. Maybe we just ask the Marines to pick up their own license. It's good for a year and costs aren't too bad. Other thought is to find a store who could place money " On Account" and let us draw off it for whoever shows up. I'm in for once a quarter but maybe more. I had so much fun doing the last one I still chuckle about it.

Whatever it turns out to be I like the whole concept.

4. Assalt Weapon

Assalt Weapon Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bryan
    Boat:
    Glacier Bay 2240SX
    Rick,

Thanks for stepping up.

Logistics will be the key. Just put my name on the list. I will do my best to support it.

Bryan

5. Bizzy

Bizzy Member

Name:
    Tom
    Boat:
    25 Parker
    I'm in too. I'll cover the bait, food and gas for my sled, if someone picks up their license costs that would be cool.

6. swizler

swizler Newbie

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    27 custom
    I was involved with a warrior pheasent hunt on sunday and met sandy from the warrior foundation. I know she would be willing to help with donations from outside sources. Buck from everingham was there and I think he might be interested in helping out also. Let me know if you need help with this. On a side note we planted 80 birds for a dozen guys with prosthetic legs. Great group of young guys with good additudes.

7. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    I think one way to do it, is to keep simple, by avoiding raffles and prizes, and contests, and have the Marines pic up their own licenses. Eliminate all sponsors. Keep it simple. JUST a "group of guys going fishing". "Meet me at such an such dock, at such and such time. Bring a bag lunch, and i'll bring the drinks and snacks".
    The marines just want to fish, and relax...I really don't think they need the tailgate, and a big hoop la made out of it. Just take em fishing, shake their hand, pour them some drinks, and thank them for their service. and hopefully send them home with some filets as a bonus.

Once the Marine has been assigned a boat, the captain of the vessel, if he/she so chooses, can reimburse the Marine for the cost of the license. Be it a one day or annual. I think a one day is more likely, as these guys most likely won't be fishing enough to justify the $50 expense.

it adds up quick.
    The last warrior trip i spent...
    Boat gas $200 (came back on fumes)
    bait $35-$40
    lunchs $35
    drinks $50
    snacks $30

mexican permits (7 day permit $35 x 2)
    truck gas $80 takes a tank full from where I am driving from

Total $505

I don't think I could do that monthly. Maybe quarterly at the most.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  8. swizler

swizler Newbie

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    27 custom
    I hear ya. It was kinda a big production in the desert. But I might still be able to arrange free bait for those involved.

9. DaGoose

DaGoose Go pound sand

Name:
    Rick Ferguson
    Boat:
    old
    Thanks for stepping up on this Rick!

Love the idea of just taking the boys out fishing for a day without a lot of hoopala. I'm sure Shitbird would take some out on his boat too and make us a fine BBQ for lunch.

I'd cover everything except the license.

Perhaps someone could organize a central pool of wounded warriers with their location, then folks could make arrangements directly with them to take them out locally. Maybe they could contact Sandy and get the licenses covered.

Just a thought. Let me know how I can help out!

Rick

10. GRUNT0369

GRUNT0369 Newbie

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    SOLD
    I have been on a few and I know to cover everything is hard for anyone. I always have the marines at least get the license before they show up. (doesn't always happen) i like to hear the stories the next Mon at work from marines that have never left the coast behind them.

I know there are plenty of guys on the board right now are hitting up the local trout lakes. What about trying to put something together, at Irvine Lake, Carona Lake. Just throughing it out there.

Thanks for doing these events. They are a pain in the ass to get going but once everyone is on the water they all work out.

11. Fishbones

Fishbones Your wife thinks about ME

Name:
    Rich
    Boat:
    One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
    Keep it simple would be the way to do it.Maybe a once a year hoopla but the rest of the months should be pick up your warrior and get out on the water. I wonder if Fish and game would be willing to DONATE licenses for the disabled?

12. dwaynesda

dwaynesda dwayne

Name:
    dwayne
    Boat:
    Cabo 216
    We tried to get DFG to donate the licenses when our club chartered the "San Diego" for our wounded warriors charter. They said that they couldn't do it. We asked for price reduction and it was still a no go. We finally had a business step up and they paid for the licenses. Keep plugging away and it will happen!

Good Luck!

13. MR2Navy

MR2Navy Newbie

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    na
    For the liscenses I'm unsure on there cost but they are available at MWR on the bases out here and I believe they are at cheaper prices but I'm not 100% sure on that. I still haven't picked my license up yet but I can try and find out what they cost and they can just povide there own by purchasing at MWR.

14. MR2Navy

MR2Navy Newbie

Name:
    Josh
    Boat:
    na
    I just checked the pices here they are.

Sportfishing (2009)​
    Fresh Water . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ​
    $41.20

Fresh Water/Ocean . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ​
    $45.95
    Sportfishing

Fresh/Ocean ​
    (One Day). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $13.40

Fresh/Ocean (Two Days) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $20.75

15. Assalt Weapon

Assalt Weapon Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bryan
    Boat:
    Glacier Bay 2240SX
    As far as I am concerned CA needs to be like other states..

YOUR MILITARY ID IS YOUR FISHING/HUNTING LICENSE.

16. Blackfish

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    yep.

17. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    X2

18. ChupacabraMB

ChupacabraMB Newbie

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    2301 Seaswirl W/O Yamaha 115 X2
    Thanks everyone for the input and ideas. I think that keeping it simple an informal is probably the best for now. Rick (DaGoose) has and outstanding idea regarding putting together a "Fishing Warriors" list. How do we get one started? It would be a great way to fill some spots. By the way...... I think I've figured out the secret to Rick's fishing success... he always fishes close to good food.

As far as an ongoing Warrior Fishing program. I think it would be great if we could get four or five boats to show up at Dana Landing on the first Saturday of each month and take some Warriors fishing. The idea will be for different boats to volunteer each month so no one gets hit with too heavy of a burden. The initial goal will be to take ten Warriors fishing each month. I'll commit, to taking a couple of Warriors out the first Sat. of January. Can I get three or four other boats to join me? If you can't join the group in January, how about the first Sat. of February, March, etc.? If we can get enough boats to take some Warriors out every three or four months... we can make this a monthly deal.

The Warriors will be responsible for licenses and the captains will cover the rest. The main point is to be out on the water and have fun with some folks that deserve it. A run to the PL kelp or LJ will make a great trip for most of the Warriors and be easier on the wallet. As far as donations...... I'll let someone else handle that if they want to step up and organize something that will insure that everything goes to the right cause. I'll take a boat count on the first of each month and round up a group of Warriors accordingly. I know Jeff (Grunt0369) has been great about getting the Warriors together in the past and hopefully can help out in the future. If anybody has any other ideas or input.... feel free to share. I'll look forward to seeing everyone on the water

19. johnnylite

johnnylite Never too late to change.

Name:
    John
    Boat:
    Triumph 210cc
    I'm inches away from a job so I'll probably be in for January but for sure February.
    Thanks for putting this together.

20. Blackfish

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    Dana Point is about the same distance from Camp Pendalton as it is from Dana landing and Mission Bay.

As always, i am in for something....but coming from the OC to SD just for bottom fish and bass seems silly, when I can put them on the same fish up my way.

Maybe we can also do some Dana Point trips if the Marines don't mind coming north?