aznboy619

Abalone King
Apr 25, 2006
Alhambra
Name
Victor
Boat
None
Aiyah! Danny I hope you are ok buddy. Did George tell you to go to the ER? I might need to go and show Big John how to tie an assist hook. Those BKK are sure sharp as hell.

Reactions: Kin
Upvote 0

frazier

Dec 25, 2012
frazierpark ca usa
Name
gordon grant
Boat
30' seaway ( sold ) 22' privateer
Aiyah! Danny I hope you are ok buddy. Did George tell you to go to the ER? I might need to go and show Big John how to tie an assist hook. Those BKK are sure sharp as hell.
Well the way to get a hook out is to take a piece of heavy mono like 80# for that hook and put it around the shank of the hook hold the hook at the bend and pull the mono down the shank on the inside toward the barb you are now pulling in opposite directions and the mono slides down the shank to where the barb is and displaces the meat under the barb and the hook pops right out with no damage to your finger rinse in saltwater then go back to fishing , practice this method on a piece of uncooked chicken breast till you get it figured out, this meathod also works great on the boat dog when he trys to steal your bait and gets a hook through his nose

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    I'm with you "dt"..... been on toooo many trips where a WFO bite caused people to lose common sense for a few moments.
    You can never be too "vigilant" when jigs go flying. The guy I still love the most... The "veteran" of numerous LR trips.... who still never looks back when he's casting..... cause the target (ocean) may move while he's loading up the rod.

Some guys I have to drill it in their heads for a few days.... then they start to be a little more passenger friendly. Others.... I've learned..... NEVER be close to them (bow) firing the iron....PERIOD.

Be safe out there.

Upvote 0

richardblufin

Jun 23, 2009
    POWAY CA
    Name
    Richard Jones
    Boat
    Bigger is Better Thats what she said
    I know...that's why I wrote this;
    "Prior to this I was thinking about investing time and testing these hooks under different water and structure conditions.
    Pretty sure now they are not worth Testing again because I know the bill from the Emergency room will verify I’ve invested plenty enough."

I'll try and claim it as caused by C19, I was sheltering in place. C19 treatment supposed to be free. If not, $2K going to be a lot more painful to my BFT seasons fishing account than a 3/0 hook :-(
    10/4 I had a similar situation. One bill came I paid it. Then I get another Bill from the Dr. I never seen a Dr. Hey they will ruin your credit and turn over to a collection service.
    no choice . So I Paid it. Total $2000.00 Fucking Crooks.

Upvote 0

sdjfish

Deck Ape
  • Mar 26, 2003
    escondido
    Visit site
    Name
    steve
    Boat
    2320 Parker, Tracker
    Well the way to get a hook out is to take a piece of heavy mono like 80# for that hook and put it around the shank of the hook hold the hook at the bend and pull the mono down the shank on the inside toward the barb you are now pulling in opposite directions and the mono slides down the shank to where the barb is and displaces the meat under the barb and the hook pops right out with no damage to your finger rinse in saltwater then go back to fishing , practice this method on a piece of uncooked chicken breast till you get it figured out, this meathod also works great on the boat dog when he trys to steal your bait and gets a hook through his nose
    Unless your tendons or ligaments get caught in the barb. Then you need a dull filet knife with a thin tip to slide down the hook to lift the tendon off the barb and then back the hook out along with the knife to keep from picking up anything else.

Reactions: dtfisherman
    Upvote 0

aznboy619

Abalone King
    Apr 25, 2006
    Alhambra
    Name
    Victor
    Boat
    None

Depends on the area. I usually just pop it all the way thru and cut off the barb area and pull it backwards. No matter how you look at it. Dislodging the hook is a painful experience.

Upvote 0

CaliJeepHuntr

Almost A Member
    May 21, 2008
    San Luis Obispo
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    Hot Wired - 2320 Parker (Dad's)
    Those pictures make me cringe! I had a similar experience back in 2007 while out fishing.... was not a fun time. Emergency room... long ass needle to numb the finger/hand...

Always be mindful and aware of what's happening. Shit can happen when you least expect it.

1355694703583.jpg

Upvote 0

dtfisherman

GONE FISHING
    Nov 9, 2015
    San Juan Capistrano
    Name
    Danny
    Boat
    None
    This Sammy? Thanks, me good. No, not George, he's a 60 minute ride to the office with no traffic. I trust Big John to tie solid knots. Pretty sure he and I just didn't know assist hooks need the leader to point towards the hook coming through the eye. Subtle detail only the speed and slow pitch jigging-masters are probably acutely aware of. I'm having Evan build me a jigging rod and maybe have MJ upgrade the speed gears in my Tiagra 12. BKK super sharp and on all of my FF"s.

Upvote 0

dtfisherman

GONE FISHING
    Nov 9, 2015
    San Juan Capistrano
    Name
    Danny
    Boat
    None
    I talked to another surgeon friend last night and got a third opinion, he said going to the ER was the right thing to do. If the hook is near a nerve or tendon then ripping through that would take a minor injury and bump it into a serious one. I like the idea of practicing on a chicken thigh or breast but the hand has nerves, ligaments, veins...Now it makes sense why my family emergency doctor's wife said that he doesn't do surgery on hands. She's also a trained nurse. $2K costly but I feel better about it now.

Upvote 0

Maing

Maing
  • Oct 20, 2017
    Washington
    Name
    Maing
    Boat
    Me yak fer now
    That happened to me the night before a three day last November. I hooked a popper to my middle finger. Buried just like that one. I have to say, not that I’m bragging but I was able to pull
    It out on my own. No string. No pushing down. Just pulled it out. Big barb, left a little tear in the surface. Just washed it and went about my business covering it.. sorry to hear that you had to go to the emergency room for that. Bummer.

Upvote 0

dtfisherman

GONE FISHING
    Nov 9, 2015
    San Juan Capistrano
    Name
    Danny
    Boat
    None
    That happened to me the night before a three day last November. I hooked a popper to my middle finger. Buried just like that one. I have to say, not that I’m bragging but I was able to pull
    It out on my own. No string. No pushing down. Just pulled it out. Big barb, left a little tear in the surface. Just washed it and went about my business covering it.. sorry to hear that you had to go to the emergency room for that. Bummer.
    Some of my friends would reply, Wow
    I said, no, it's Ow!
    Since my post, several friends have shared similar successful, lucky, happy ending stories like you. I'm sure the unsuccessful ones want to keep their's a secret and a long forgotten bad memory. If I were on the boat with a favorite Captain; Adam/Markus from NLA, Justin from the Apollo/Aztec, Mark from the PacVoyager, Brian from Thunderbird, Scotty from the TG80, Ray on the Toro...I'd trust them to remove the hook because I'm not spending time sheltering in the galley when I need to be pulling on BFT on the rail :-)
    Thanks for the sympathy. I paid my first ER bill today and hoping it's right. $22 for 3 x-rays plus a $13 discount, ~$9.00 total. Each x-ray less than a Big Mac!
    Ps At least you hooked yourself, most times poppers and lures end up hooking others. I've tore a few jeans too excited and walking carelessly close to lured racked rods...

Upvote 0

doncatfish

Dec 21, 2006
    San Clemente
    Name
    Don
    Boat
    30' Albemarle
    Very nice write up! About 5 years ago I caught a black seabass on a stinger hook while fishing for halibut. As I was unhooking the bastard he thrashed around and buried the swinging live bait hook in my hand. That sucked being attached to a pissed off black with just 5 inches of mono between us. After multiple unsuccessful tries to pull it out of me, I went to the emergency room. A couple of weeks later the bill came in at $1,600, I was literally in and out of that hospital within 5 minutes! I called the hospital to protest, they said I should gone to urgent care if I wanted a better price. They also said it would only have been $1,000 if I had paid cash. I didn't know they offered cash discounts at the time, or I would have. I explained that the last time a good friend had to have a hook pulled out in Cabo, the doctor only charged $20. I could have flown to Cabo in first class, had the hook pulled out there, and been in Cabo with plenty of spare money. They finally agreed to $1,000 to settle. Good luck on your bill!

Upvote 0

Kin

o_O
    Oct 10, 2010
    San Gabriel
    Name
    Kin
    Boat
    ODC 420
    Danny!
    I'll let fat john know you hooked into a huuuuge one. Take care of that hand and make sure you got some disfectent in there. At least you can say you wouldn't have an issue hooking into fish.

Upvote 0

dtfisherman

GONE FISHING
    Nov 9, 2015
    San Juan Capistrano
    Name
    Danny
    Boat
    None
    Very nice write up! About 5 years ago I caught a black seabass on a stinger hook while fishing for halibut. As I was unhooking the bastard he thrashed around and buried the swinging live bait hook in my hand. That sucked being attached to a pissed off black with just 5 inches of mono between us. After multiple unsuccessful tries to pull it out of me, I went to the emergency room. A couple of weeks later the bill came in at $1,600, I was literally in and out of that hospital within 5 minutes! I called the hospital to protest, they said I should gone to urgent care if I wanted a better price. They also said it would only have been $1,000 if I had paid cash. I didn't know they offered cash discounts at the time, or I would have. I explained that the last time a good friend had to have a hook pulled out in Cabo, the doctor only charged $20. I could have flown to Cabo in first class, had the hook pulled out there, and been in Cabo with plenty of spare money. They finally agreed to $1,000 to settle. Good luck on your bill!
    Arigato!
    I feel better now. My Lucanus is probably 150 grams or only 1/3 of a pound. Pretty sure your black weighed a bit more.
    I mentioned earlier that I'm telling my insurance company that my accident was due to covid 19. One of the boat Captains or Deck hands would've removed it for free if I was on the water. I'll use your Cabo story if mine doesn't fly.
    I'm praying...
    Ps 5 minutes is probably a IGFA world record for being in-and-out of an ER room. Probably the reason for charging you extra :-D

Upvote 0

dtfisherman

GONE FISHING
    Nov 9, 2015
    San Juan Capistrano
    Name
    Danny
    Boat
    None
    Danny!
    I'll let fat john know you hooked into a huuuuge one. Take care of that hand and make sure you got some disfectent in there. At least you can say you wouldn't have an issue hooking into fish.
    Be nice! We call him Big John now since he's lost some weight. Thanks, I hydrogen peroxide clean, re-band-aid it every other day and do my best to keep it clean. My best friend is a doctor and he's warned me incessantly that getting an infection is worse than being cut.

Reactions: Kin
    Upvote 0

Maing

Maing
  • Oct 20, 2017
    Washington
    Name
    Maing
    Boat
    Me yak fer now
    Man!!! When I got mine out I just put some bacitracin on it, wrapped with the finger tape and went fishin! After a day it sealed up! I was elbow deep in bft/yft for the next three days. Some are more careful than others. I get it. Me, not so much. Im of the opinion, that which doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.
    Next time that happens to any of us we need to get a video of how it comes out.
    lol

Upvote 0

dtfisherman

GONE FISHING
    Nov 9, 2015
    San Juan Capistrano
    Name
    Danny
    Boat
    None
    Man!!! When I got mine out I just put some bacitracin on it, wrapped with the finger tape and went fishin! After a day it sealed up! I was elbow deep in bft/yft for the next three days. Some are more careful than others. I get it. Me, not so much. Im of the opinion, that which doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.
    Next time that happens to any of us we need to get a video of how it comes out.
    lol
    If I was on the boat with you, I'd be elbow deep right alongside you. I fish left handed so I'd just have to modify how I hold my rod a bit in my right hand with the hook in my pinky sticking out! That'll be a much cooler video 🙃

Upvote 0

Rimack

Old School
    Jun 24, 2011
    Elk Grove
    Name
    gary
    Boat
    WORKING ON IT.
    Those bastards are STICKY SHARP ! Heal up and go get em.

Upvote 0

Makscoot

Living and Learning
    Jan 24, 2006
    Snoqualmie River Country
    Name
    Scott M
    Boat
    Hyde Drift
    I did the same thing with 16oz pipe jigs a few years back. Was proud I made them at a BD Lead Party, Bought some insane 16/0 trebles from Norway. Decided to hang them on the wall (about 7 feet up), them thought, that is a hazard. Started carefully taking them down one at a time and the bottom hook snagged the jig behind it and fell.
    I was lucky that it caught my pinkie and went straight though just missing the nail.
    I had to use bolt cutters to sever the hook and pull it through. Used Bourbon to sterilize it. Good times. I looked for pictures, but couldnt find them

Upvote 0